Purolator L22500 @ 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a 2012 Ford F150 with the Coyote 5.0 V8. I purchased the truck new in December 2012 and it currently has 55,000 miles showing. I follow Ford's 10,000 mile OCI recommendation and use Mobil 1's 5w-20 extended performance full synthetic oil and the L22500 filter. I did an oil change over the weekend and thought I'd cut the Purolator L22500 filter open and have a look and share. The filter looked good with no cuts or tears in the media. In the picture the top of the media canister is covered in filings where I used a hacksaw to cut the unit open.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice but personally I would use an oil filter that's advertised to go 10K+, e.g Mobil 1, Bosch DP or Fram Ultra.

I used a Purolator Classic once to 5K. Cut it open and the media was hard and brittle.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Nice but personally I would use an oil filter that's advertised to go 10K+, e.g Mobil 1, Bosch DP or Fram Ultra.

I used a Purolator Classic once to 5K. Cut it open and the media was hard and brittle.

This one showed no issues. What's the difference between a filter advertised to go 10,000 miles and a decent basic filter....other than the cost? I pushed the pleats around a good bit on the L22500 and they seemed pliable. I eventually tore a pleat but I was trying to. The pleat where the media seamed together was solid too.

Originally Posted By: DavidJones
What's the difference between a filter advertised to go 10,000 miles and a decent basic filter....other than the cost?

Junk holding capacity, although I don't know how they go about measuring something like that.

Originally Posted By: DavidJones

This one showed no issues. What's the difference between a filter advertised to go 10,000 miles and a decent basic filter....other than the cost? I pushed the pleats around a good bit on the L22500 and they seemed pliable. I eventually tore a pleat but I was trying to. The pleat where the media seamed together was solid too.

Filters designed for extended drain intervals use a wire backed synthetic media (some like the M1 and Fram TG is a cellulose/synthetic blend). Synthetic media is capable of providing better filtration than cellulose without restricting flow. It also has a higher holding capacity which means it can retain more microscopic solids without plugging the media.

Here is a good article on it.
http://www.baldwinfilters.com/literature/english/10%20TSB%27s/09-1.pdf

Originally Posted By: robo339
Why be cheap on the filter and not the oil

Good point.
I've never had an issue with a Purolator (that I know of)and choose them because of the brand name. This one appears to have weathered the storm pretty well. As, I hope, the L22500 I spun on as a replacement this weekend will.

Last edited:
Why not buy their synthetic filter then? Seems like an expensive motor to risk on a filter that's not designed to go 10k miles... not including the cataloged failures the Purolator classic has had lately

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Did you get the date code by any chance?

No date code.
I suspect it was fairly "fresh". My business is just down the strip center from a VERY busy Walmart and I bought the L22500's (6) I've used there.
I'm struggling a little bit with the idea that a standard filter won't make it 5 months and 10,000 miles without coming apart. This one certainly looks none the worse for it. My 2005 Tundra (my son drives it now) had a steady diet of Purolator filters, Mobil 1 oil and 10,000 miles oil changes and seems to be hanging in there pretty well at 175,000 miles. The next Tundra also seemed happy when I sold it for my current F150.

Purolator filters having recent issues is obviously news to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back