Can filters going 10K become the norm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing posted pictures, I often read the comment "could have gone another 5000 miles" or "could have gone another oil change interval".

Are most filters under most ordinary circumstances up to a 10K interval? I think the filter changing every time oil is changed is going the way of the old 3000 mile interval. Thoughts?

Yes.

Last car manuals I seen (2007) still say to change oil filter every other oil change interval (5k-7.5k). I remember seeing that in manuals since 1990.

However in real life, nearly everyone changes the oil and oil filter at the same time and that's not going to change unless you have a reason.

I did recently, but it was because of a bad oil filter location (over a exhaust header) and over-tightening. Next oil change, we took it to a mechanic and told him of the problem. We watched him curse and struggle for probably 10 mins trying to remove it. He did with his adjustable angle breaker bar and vice grips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
After seeing posted pictures, I often read the comment "could have gone another 5000 miles" or "could have gone another oil change interval".

Are most filters under most ordinary circumstances up to a 10K interval? I think the filter changing every time oil is changed is going the way of the old 3000 mile interval. Thoughts?

That's because you are seeing folks here use high quality filters such as a FRAM Ultra for 5k OCIs which is a complete waste.

its cheap insurance, Id rather go 10k on oil, and 2 filters than 10k on the same filter and 2 oil changes.

IMO the filter is where any foreign matter is held. Ill spend the extra 5-10 bucks to keep that out of my engine.

With that said, if I opted for the top tier filter, I wouldn't hesitate to use it the entire OCI

Last edited:
The primary reason that oil filter changes are tied to oil changes is for the sake of convenience. You have folks who say that they'd never run an oil filter longer than one oil change...that doesn't mean anything. One guy's OCI might be 3,000 miles and another guy's OCI might be 10,000 miles. Even if guy A left his filter on for THREE oil changes, he's still running it for fewer miles than guy B, who changes his at every oil change.

If it's more convenient to change the filter at each oil change, certainly do it. But there's no reason (other than time spent or convenience) that you couldn't change your oil on one interval and change your filter on another interval. In fact, owner's manuals have recommended just that for many years.

I am halfway considering running without any filter, as I don't think they are necessary. I don't think they really do anything, and all of the filters that I have pulled off and examined basically had nothing in them except dirty oil.

Originally Posted By: datech
I am halfway considering running without any filter, as I don't think they are necessary. I don't think they really do anything, and all of the filters that I have pulled off and examined basically had nothing in them except dirty oil.

That's interesting. Are you sure there was nothing in the filters you examined? Particles down around 20 microns would be invisible to the naked eye.

Extended OCI's are the norm now since engine oils are so much better and cars run so much cleaner.

But I don't think filter manufacturers have necessarily kept pace with these developments.

In my opinion, you have to buy a high quality filter if you expect them to go the duration in an extended OCI.

Short OCI = dino oil and standard (economy) filter

Long OCI = premium synthetic EP oil and synthetic media filter

All equate to approximately the same cost per mile.

"And you washed down the filter and performed a particle count and catalogue in a cleanroom lab environment? "

Stirring up the pot, eh?
smile.gif

Oil becomes contaminated from wearing mechanical parts. Modern engines wear much more slowly than in days gone by. So it follows that filters become clogged more slowly too.
A filter is at its most effective just before it is too clogged to allow sufficient flow.
So if you have a modern engine running well with a good quality oil and filter then there is no need to frequently replace either of them.

Getting rid of perfectly serviceable oil and filters is an unnecessary expense, but thinking of the long term consequences of leaving it too late probably frighten many of us into early changes.

Claud.

Oil becomes contaminated from wearing mechanical parts. Modern engines wear much more slowly than in days gone by. So it follows that filters become clogged more slowly too.
A filter is at its most effective just before it is too clogged to allow sufficient flow.
So if you have a modern engine running well with a good quality oil and filter then there is no need to frequently replace either of them.

Getting rid of perfectly serviceable oil and filters is an unnecessary expense, but thinking of the long term consequences of leaving it too late probably frighten many of us into early changes.

Claud.

That would be an interesting mod to your engine. And forget about your warranty.

Have you ever studied the oil flow through an engine?

it was 10 years ago. Honda thinks el cheapo filters can go 20k miles, no problemo.

Besides marketing hype, is there any real proof that a decent "standard" filter isn't capable of filtering for 10,000 miles in a modern vehicle using synthetic oil?

You can put an adapter plate on and do that I think. A better way maybe is to use an adapter plate and install a bypass filter with fine filtration. Oil filters used to be option on some cars, and the filters when installed were bypass types. I know the 50 Mercury had a steel canister with a cartridge filter right on top. My grandfather bought a new 58 Chevrolet, not adding the oil filter option. No AM radio either, that was too extreme. I think it was like $10 more or something. Car rusted out, engine fine.

Air cooled Volkswagens ran with only a screen mesh for many years and racked up comparable miles between overhauls as conventional full flow filtered engines as its contemporaries.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: user52165

That would be an interesting mod to your engine. And forget about your warranty.

Have you ever studied the oil flow through an engine?
While I think it's just "penny wise", I did have a VW bug which had no filter and I'm not sure they ever got a factory filter.

IMO A filter lasting 10,000mi is the norm. Just read you owner's manual. Filter and oil change companies have been pounding the severe service schedule into our heads for their benefit, not ours. Of course they are going to "recommend" you change the filter every 3,000 miles because they make money that way.I've owned several 70's 80's and 90's V8s that all said to change the filter every second oil change. The warranties of filter manufactures state the filters are guaranteed to meet the requirements set out in your owner's manual. Even the economy Fram filter will last as long as two oil changes if called for in the manual. I do it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back