Ceramic coated headers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, not too important atm, but I would maybe like headers one day. I was searching and found Holley parts. They specify that breaking in an engine will ruin them? Just cant figure what, exhaust wise, is different for an engine during break-in..

Btw, i think a 6.0 would probably sound great, run smooth with plenty of power with a low restriction air filter, headers and the dual mufflers.

My Paw gave his old 360 Ford headers and it sounded good and had good power, but he couldnt keep a gasket on it. They would always leak and get the clicking under acceleration.

Well, shucks.

I just opened the install manual and it said the coating will ruin if exposed toalot of heat before they have been heat cycled many times. So then, now, why is a new engine running hotter?

Increased friction from break in, possibly the need to run rich to compensate for poor ring sealing, possible funky timing during break in.
On a fuel injected engine I'd bet most of the warning is useless

My '54 Jaguar came from the factory with ceramic coated exhaust headers as did all Jags of that period . Looked great and lasted fine .

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Well, shucks.

I just opened the install manual and it said the coating will ruin if exposed to a lot of heat before they have been heat cycled many times. So then, now, why is a new engine running hotter?

It's not. It's just that they're assuming you are going to be running a flat tappet cam, where you start the engine up and immediately bring it to 2000-2500 rpm for cam/lifter break in for 20 minutes. Doing this doesn't give the coatings a chance to fully cure. Most very high temp coatings want to be heated to progressively hotter temps for progressively long periods of time- not blasted full on for 20 minutes.

If you had an oven large enough, you may be able to replicate the curing process off vehicle.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Increased friction from break in, possibly the need to run rich to compensate for poor ring sealing, possible funky timing during break in.
On a fuel injected engine I'd bet most of the warning is useless

I'm not sure where you get that from?

I've never had to run a fresh engine extra rich to account for ring seal. Timing may or may not be correct on start up, but is sorted out in the first 1-2 minutes of operation.

Hello, First off, a friend and I installed ceramic Hedmann, equal length headers to a small block. The finish more resembled a soft silver paint than anything else. It was easily scratched.

There was some message regarding discoloration but we were in "GO MODE" and, frankly, couldn't be bothered.
The discoloration we saw was well within what we expected. My pal went to auto school years before and mused that the thin wall tubing of the headers (relatively speaking) would would wear out first.
Those Hedmann headers appeared darn well made to both of us.

The other thing is that the exhaust manifolds on those older English cars were heavily coated with lead based ceramics-very durable. Kira

If Engine Timing isnt set correct on a fresh engine or rebuild engine. It will make Headers really hot and glow red quickly!! (ie: retarded timing)

Most companies which high heat coat (Swain, Jet Hot, etc.) do the curing process for you, correct??

I guess everyone is speaking about DIY processes, or buying the headers from the header manufacturer with their coatings applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back