full synthetic 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
15w-40 HDEO oil works great in boat engines..

This. Any of the 15W40 oils will have a killer add pack and will do your engine good.

If you insist on running a synthetic (completely not needed) than a 5W40 heavy duty engine oil should be your first choice. It will have a better add pack than Mobil 1 10W40.

I have twin 5.7 volvo 2008 with >700hours.

We talked a lot on dock, my friends and I concluded that ;Older engine = NO synthetic. Putting 5w40 T6 in an "old" engine can just increase chance of leak. Keeping mineral Triple Protection Rotella 15w40 is the best for an "old" engine. For the price of it just change it twice a year
smile.gif

Just wanted to chime in on the actual recommended oil for your engine.

There was a lot of confusion after Volvo discontinued their straight 30 syn oil. At first the seemingly clear message was that now Volvos 10w-40 was the recommended oil for all engines.

I have a 1999 5.0 Gi, so basically an identical engine. I did a lot of research into it and called Volvo to get better clarification on the matter, because my concern was that Volvo's 10w-40 was designed for their post catalytic engines produced from 2007 and on. Mind you those engines, beyond just the emissions equipment, are based on a completely different generation of GM small block than our engines.

What I ended up finding was a Volvo technical bulletin that specially stated that the following:

All 2008 and newer engines were to switch to Volvos 10w-40

All gasoline engines prior to 2008 were to use a Volvo VDS-3 Oil (Which is Volvos diesel specification)

This would mean Oils such as, Rotella 15w40, Delo 15w40, Volvos own 15w40 etc are now the recommended spec.

Here is the link to the bulletin, see page two: Volvo Oil Spec

Last edited:
That's some great information. I believe that is a mineral oil right? So which rotella to use? What do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back