Carbon Steel Fry Pan aka Black Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be confused with cast iron (CI) does NE1 have experience with these? Since the sides of these pans slope out and up I'm wondering if there's a standard ratio of cooking surface to overall width.

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
We have a black cast iron frying pan. Found on the road to the city dump 35 years ago. After an over-thorough cleaning it was put into regular use and is our best frying pan (vs fancy heavy bottomed stainless ware).

So if you're looking for a useful cooking implement, no need to look further than cast iron.

i have both cast iron and black carbon steel, pans.
The carbon steel pans I have are Paderno/World Cuisine brand.
I like the "crepe pans" best as they are a bit thicker than the regular fry pans.

debuyer is also a good brand but they are triple the price of paderno.

We use them to make swedish pancakes/crepes.
Paderno crepe pan amazon

this is still the king for crepes...
Griswold griddle

Last edited:
I had a Cast Iron pan for over 15 years.

Cook steaks over an open fire, bacon and eggs etc.

You can throw sand in them and rub it around then just rinse with water.

Dry it and put corn oil on it, and you are good for next time.

People speak of complex cleaning of them. I don't get it.

Cast Iron is super easy to clean. YOu can even cut in the bottom of one.

Sunlight dish soap is a great cleaner as it isn't strong enough to harm the seasoning.

Dawn dish soap will remove seasoning, don't use it.

Or, use Dawn once in a while so you can build up a new seasoned layer once in a while.

Is there a way to ruin a Cast Iron pan?? Even rust pits it and after it seasons the pits cradle oil and makes it even more stick-free.

Teflon pans are the dumbest invention in the world.

I want a Cast Iron pot!!

I have two Lodge brand, cast iron pans. They were expensive but well worth it, as they will last a lifetime. Cast iron is the original no-stick pans!

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
i have both cast iron and black carbon steel, pans.
The carbon steel pans I have are Paderno/World Cuisine brand.
I like the "crepe pans" best as they are a bit thicker than the regular fry pans.

debuyer is also a good brand but they are triple the price of paderno.

We use them to make swedish pancakes/crepes.
Paderno crepe pan amazon

this is still the king for crepes...
Griswold griddle

So on your carbon steel fry pan how large is the pan and the cooking surface? It seems that these pans have shallow angled sides and smaller cooking surfaces except for a UK pan made by Vogue (Black iron is just another name for carbon steel). Thus vogue pan seems to have more vertical sides.

http://www.amazon.com/Vogue-Black-Iron-Fry-255mm/dp/B007Q0GORU

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00462QP1G...arbon+steel+pan

I was going to buy a cast iron but carbon steel seems to get you about 90 percent there but with only 2/3 the weight.

Not sure if Carbon Steel you can beat on like Cast Iron.

I have even put Cast Iron in the dishwasher!!

You take it out and it has a fine yellow rust all over it and the seasoning is gone even on the bottom.

Oil her back up with corn oil and she's even better than before!

Cast Iron is heavy though... But I got used to it.

I have both cast iron and carbon steel. Carbon steel uses less oil much smoother surface. Cast iron much rougher surface need more oil but holds heat far better than carbon steel. Carbon steel heats quickly.

Certain things cast iron just cooks better but carbon steel is very similar sometimes I can't tell the difference. For eggs I like the carbon steel slides off slippery very easy cleaning.

For quick frying carbon steel for slow low heat cast iron. Most like cast iron because it holds heat more even cooking...take your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back