filter for oci of 4-5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
The extra guard can handle it but the tough guard is more desirable with 99% efficient at 20 microns media and you also get the better silicone anti drain back valve with the TG. Extra guards are 95% efficient at 20 microns and have nitrile rubber valves.

FWIW Fram rates the extra guard for 5,000 miles and the Tough Guard for 7,500 miles.

From tough guard.. Its rated for 10k but I am going to change it out at 6k on my lady's car. Their ultra filter I go 9k.. I am running conventional in my cars now too. So yeah go with the from TG.. And you will be fine and good.

I presume there are not any "gotcha" conditions here; a typical engine in normal use.

Choose any brand name filter for the least cost. Given the reports of tears/holes recently in Puro products, might consider an alternative other than that brand. I've always had good luck with them, but it may be a risk now.

Fram EG; Napa silver; even a ST filter.

If you are out of warranty, and feel up to a challenge, then double the FCI and use a Wix/NG, TG, D+, etc.

Last edited:
If you have a federated auto parts store, get there house filter, it's good and made by the same manufacture that makes Hastings filter. They should cost around $2.00. I have some pics on here of a federated filter and they are very solid filters with lots of pleats.

I would highly recommend the Purolator Classic, excellent tough durable media, highly reliable and excellent filtration for the money. Can be had at walmart for all of $3.26 in my area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I would highly recommend the Purolator Classic, excellent tough durable media, highly reliable and excellent filtration for the money. Can be had at walmart for all of $3.26 in my area.

As long as it doesn't tear.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Fortunately there have been zero legitimate tears reported so rest easy friend.

Didn't see a vehicle. I have began to lean towards OEM filters as of late. They are priced reasonably and does the job. There are some OEM filters that I don't care for, but for the most part, this is the direction I've began to lean in over the past few years.

Please do not fudge the truth. It does nothing to help members here on this forum.

Please do not fudge the truth. It does nothing to help members here on this forum.
Fudge nothing, he is calling everyone who has posted a torn filter a liar (including myself). At first I thought he was a troll, I cannot post what I think now. The tears were real, this was not some mass conspiracy to slam Purolator and the way they chose to address it speaks volumes. Whether there is still an issue remains to be seen, but there are other filters available that are much higher quality so why risk your money?

The Extra Guard is more than adequate, though the Tough Guard is a better filter with better construction and better efficiency. You could do two 4-5k OCI's on a single Tough Guard which would make it a cheaper option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back