Car for son--Test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I posted my son needs a car. I was looking at a 92,000 mile 2001 Grand Prix last night with the 3.8. The man (said) he needs to sell fast.

All looked good and the price was great. $2300 (leather and roof) (Stiff leather but no rips) Looks like 1 old owner for 95% of its life. It hit the dealer about every 2 months for oil and service. All looked good. Oil looked good. The owner said he has not used it for some time.

Started up and and slow driving around it seemed a little jerky.
After a bit, 15 minutes of slow driving, at a light with a long straight I put it to the floor. It went right to the redline and never shifted to a higher gear. (Stayed in first or second)
I think the rpm limiter hit as it seemed to detonate and break down. I let right off. Tried again and same.
Went easy,manually put it in first, second---OK -- third OK---and fourth OK

Any thoughts as to what is going on? He knows there is something wrong. I could offer as is. I could take it to a dealer and then we would both know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tranny valve body/ solenoid issue. Offer $500. He won't take it, he's waiting for a sap to go for a gentle test drive.

That car is on bought time.

Transmission issues on a car like that mean it is worth scrap value = $300. A transmission rebuild will cost more than the car is worth.

$2300 on that car with transmission problems is completely, utterly, out of line.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
...It hit the dealer about every 2 months for oil and service. All looked good. Oil looked good...

What about the transmission? For a car that was taken to the dealer every two months for "oil and service", they should have been checking the fluid level at least.

the type of car is good but that is a serious problem
never buy a car from a individual always buy from a dealer

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How did the transmission shift when driving at a normal everyday pace?

It seemed jerky, but I was thinking it was the engine. That's why I wanted to tromp on it. See if it would blow out...

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Originally Posted By: clarkflower
...It hit the dealer about every 2 months for oil and service. All looked good. Oil looked good...

What about the transmission? For a car that was taken to the dealer every two months for "oil and service", they should have been checking the fluid level at least.

The car fax looked like my dads car when he was 84. In every 3 months. LOL...When he was 40 he got a car and never even checked the oil over his entire 4 years of ownership.
Then at 84 he drives 3ooo miles a year and puts Mobil 1 in every 3 months... I said your wasting your money on the new owner. The oil will outlive you;)

This is a good example of what I saw on the car fax from 2000 to 2011
04/12/2005
Washed/detailed
Fluids checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
08/16/2005
Fluids checked
Tire condition and pressure checked
Oil and filter changed
Washed/detailed
11/23/2005 Maintenance inspection completed
Washed/detailed
Four wheel alignment performed

Last edited:
Seems as if he didn't take care of the Transmission. A good rebuilt unit with install is about 2500 bucks on that car. Unless you can get it for under 1200 bucks, I would skip it.
Then you are in the car for 3700 bucks. Which really isn't that bad for a 3800 car. If you can get it that cheap look in the overflow bottle and pop the radiator cap make sure there is no sludge.

Originally Posted By: jacky

I have to agree with that to a certain extent. Every used car I ever bought from an individual had some issues. Aren't too many people who sell a premium used car outright, and there ends up being little difference in price anyways. There is recourse if you get a bad car from a dealer, you can take a longer test ride, maybe take it home overnight, etc.

I know nothing about automatic transmission but having transmission not shifting at redline ssems to be less serious than the one which is slipping. It still does not mean you should go ahead and purchase it though!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Tranny valve body/ solenoid issue. Offer $500. He won't take it, he's waiting for a sap to go for a gentle test drive.

Bingo, or just pass altogether. OP there's an Arse for every seat, let someone buy the car. But if he takes $500 it might setup nice for a quick flip.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Seems as if he didn't take care of the Transmission. A good rebuilt unit with install is about 2500 bucks on that car. Unless you can get it for under 1200 bucks, I would skip it.
Then you are in the car for 3700 bucks. Which really isn't that bad for a 3800 car. If you can get it that cheap look in the overflow bottle and pop the radiator cap make sure there is no sludge.

That's what I was thinking. I haven't checked Kelly but I know at the wholesale dealer only manheim auctions an 82,000 mile car brought 3,400
Regular $3,400 82,257 Avg

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: jacky

I have to agree with that to a certain extent.

I worked for 10 dealers. (That is why I am poor-The steal as much from the workers as they do the customers;)
While I agree that the dealer can find most issues you pay dearly for that.
My son has 3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back