Top Tire Brands - CR's Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was Goodyear that was "Tread life is not always a strong point"
I've never got more than 20k out of them and I get 40,000- 60,000 out of most others.

I see the new Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice 2 tied for 1st place with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 in the big Norwegian NAF winter tire test this season. Why aren't they selling that in North America? I'd buy it in a heartbeat over anything else if they did. I won't buy the Ultra Grip Ice currently available though. Too many better tires out there.

https://www.naf.no/forbrukertester/dekktester/vinterdekktest-2014/

Ranking by brand is about as dumb as it gets. Michelin, since its their #1, has some of the lowest rated tires out there. I know, I had a set on my CTS. They also make very highly rated tires as well.

Right now I have RS3-A Coopers on my wifes CTS. But I would not recommend the CS3 as there are better tires out there than those.

My point is do not buy based on the brand, buy based on the tire itself.

I've tried many brands,and the smoothest,longest lasting tires I've ever had are Kumhos. That's all I'll ever buy,and they're CHEAP! :^)

Originally Posted By: Jimzz

There are many BITOGers who recommend Michelin, blindly.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yep. And I was a fool to listen.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've tried many brands,and the smoothest,longest lasting tires I've ever had are Kumhos. That's all I'll ever buy,and they're CHEAP! :^)

Yes, Kumho can be a real value! If they work on your vehicle(s), stay with'em!

Originally Posted By: Evanson
No Bridgestone!

Yep, my thought exactly. A top 5 list without including Bridgestone? Their "opinion" is beyond worthless to me.

Ranking by brand is about as dumb as it gets. Michelin, since its their #1, has some of the lowest rated tires out there. I know, I had a set on my CTS. They also make very highly rated tires as well.

Right now I have RS3-A Coopers on my wifes CTS. But I would not recommend the CS3 as there are better tires out there than those.

If you read the article, they do mention various models within a brand.

I'm really glad to see Continental up there. They don't make a bad tire.

Bridgestone doesn't really make a huge variety of really good tires though like Continental and Michelin.

As for the "smoothest and longest lasting" are only a very small portion of what makes a tire actually good.

Agreed!

I value actual experience highly, even if it doesn't agree with my preferences. What I don't value is constant complaining about other BITOGers, especially when the frequency of those complaints seem to outnumber the supposed error, and nothing of value is added to the discussion.

They list initially by brand and then under brand, specific tires. I agree with their list regarding the Michelin products, as I have three of those tires currently in service (Pilot SS, Pilot AS3, LTX M/S2) and am extremely happy with the performance of all of them.

OEM tires produced by any brand (Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Yokohama...etc) can be junk if that's what the manufacturer specs. However, they didn't appear to list any of those in the article. If you have more good tires than the next guy, you are going to rank better. That seems to be what is reflected in the list
21.gif

i'm not sure how they came up with those results. I think most brands make some stellar models and some carp-tastic models. any comparison of reviews on a site like tirerack show that.

a 9th-grader could have written that article based on listening to some car chat by new 16yr old drivers.

I also think tires were more like TV's, its more the particular model that is good, than the overall brand...
I suppose if you have no time or interest in doing some research, then you have better odds buying those brands, but there are lots of tires made by other companies that work well too.

Originally Posted By: Evanson
No Bridgestone!

Bridgestone's bribe must of been late in the mail when the article went to press. Looks like everyone else got their check delivered to CR on time.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Agreed!

I value actual experience highly, even if it doesn't agree with my preferences. What I don't value is constant complaining about other BITOGers, especially when the frequency of those complaints seem to outnumber the supposed error, and nothing of value is added to the discussion.

Miller88 is right though, many people think Michelin is the greatest thing out there and will recommend it to anybody for anything. Sometimes they're awesome, sometimes not so much. I haven't had any luck with 3 sets of them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
OEM tires produced by any brand (Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Yokohama...etc) can be junk if that's what the manufacturer specs. However, they didn't appear to list any of those in the article. If you have more good tires than the next guy, you are going to rank better. That seems to be what is reflected in the list
21.gif

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

Agreed.

And it can go the other route as well, which nobody ever points out. People usually look at OEMs with a negative eye to start with, never giving them a real chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back