Best Midsize Sedan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year the market for midsize cars becomes more competitive and the choices are the best we've ever seen. Today there are few "bad" cars if any in this segment.

I have driven many of these cars as rental cars and I'd have to say I might pick the Subaru, a car I would never have even considered a few years ago.

I agree for the most part. If i were to buy any of these i would buy the Mazda 6, or the Accord sport i4 in 6-speed manual form. Hyundai is at the top of their game and they are building top-notch products. I'm just not a huge fan of their styling so far.

Last edited:
I rode in a new Hyundai Sante Fe tonight.

I used to do business in Korea in the 90s and saw great things for them way back then. Today? Still totally 2nd rate.

The suspension was horrible, the textiles nasty. No good materials anywhere. All tactile interfaces where mediocre - rear door handle, rear seat levers, front dash buttons - everything felt like it would break if pushed too hard or used too many times. Even if you felt ham-handed, they were just crude in their actuation.

My well-maintained 90s Audi V8 and c. 2002 Lexus make them look amateur. Every GM I've seen since 2000 made this 2015 Hyundai look weak. I did not come at this suspecting this or predisposed to it; in fact my expectations were the opposite. But the Korean cars are still cheap feeling and I suspect going to have poor satisfaction going forward.

I read an automotive headline recently that the Korean manufactures were giving Toyota a run for their money. The headline editor was deluded or ignorant. I regret I gave them credence now that I went out and re-tested.

My brother recently bought a 2015 Sonata Limited Sport. The styling is more contemporary compared to my dated looking 2014.5 Camry SE.

By his own admission, the car does not seem ready for prime time. He has had numerous tech issues that recur with BlueLink; Bluetooth issues, Navigation screen blanking issues, etc. He now has RED driver restraint warning light(s) ? on the dash, etc. He is taking this thing to the dealer or calling Hyundai Customer Service for technical support constantly for these technology "gremlins". To think that he paid an additional $11,000+ extra, beyond my Toyota's purchase price, to endure these technology nightmares is sad. Who really needs speed pacing cruise control? Lane departure warnings? Just more gadgets to break...and expensive to fix.

For a brand new car that is about 4 months old, this is UNACCEPTABLE, from my viewpoint. I would dump this daily driver nightmare as soon as the latest "gremlin" was "fixed" and go buy something proven to be reliable. YMMV

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Time for a Honda with a 6-speed. No CVT for me.

Which CVTs have you drove?

I have yet to drive a Subaru equipped with CVT - but Honda's are actually quite nice to drive. There's none of the awkwardness that there is with the Nissan ones ... and it seems that the Honda/Toyota/Subaru CVTs are able to be somewhat reliable.

If I were to buy a midsize (or any new car), it would have 3 pedals on the floor, though. Just a personal preference.

There really isn't a bad car in this segment(midsize/family sedan), It's just a matter of which vehicle is right for the buyer. What vehicle fits your criteria best? A lot of test driving to do my friend!
smile.gif

The Fusion IMHO isn't aging all that well, the AstonMartin grille was cool for like 1 month.

I haven't driven any of the cars listed but the closet would be the Legacy's fat brother, the 2015 Forester 2.5 CVT. It was very smooth and felt like an automatic. I can only assume the Legacy would feel the same.

I like manual transmissions too but they are becoming an endangered species.

I can see how they would rate the Sonata like that. Our rental Sonata was a little of everything to everybody. It wasn't exceptionally good at any one thing but it was decent enough at everything. Like they created an actual "proletariat" sedan that the communists failed miserably at for decades.

I don't necessarily agree with the rating on the Passat. Chattanooga seems to be able to build a fairly decent "German" riding sedan. To me, it rides like you would expect a FWD Audi to ride. Of course it is chock full of VAG goofiness when it comes time to service but some people like that.

My mom rented a new body style 200. It was a good car in most aspects but the tech in it screwed with her badly. She settled right in with the Monte Carlo I bought her and can operate it with no problem but the rotary knob shifter, proximity key, etc... seemed to escape a 67 year old's grasp. She drove delivery vehicles for over 20 years. She's a remarkably good driver for her age, but little things messed with her.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
There really isn't a bad car in this segment(midsize/family sedan), It's just a matter of which vehicle is right for the buyer. What vehicle fits your criteria best? A lot of test driving to do my friend!
smile.gif

Agreed
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I rode in a new Hyundai Sante Fe tonight.

I used to do business in Korea in the 90s and saw great things for them way back then. Today? Still totally 2nd rate.

The suspension was horrible, the textiles nasty. No good materials anywhere. All tactile interfaces where mediocre - rear door handle, rear seat levers, front dash buttons - everything felt like it would break if pushed too hard or used too many times. Even if you felt ham-handed, they were just crude in their actuation.

My well-maintained 90s Audi V8 and c. 2002 Lexus make them look amateur. Every GM I've seen since 2000 made this 2015 Hyundai look weak. I did not come at this suspecting this or predisposed to it; in fact my expectations were the opposite. But the Korean cars are still cheap feeling and I suspect going to have poor satisfaction going forward.

I read an automotive headline recently that the Korean manufactures were giving Toyota a run for their money. The headline editor was deluded or ignorant. I regret I gave them credence now that I went out and re-tested.

^This, +1.

The age of Asian Superiority is over. Look at the Fusion, the Chry 200, Volvo S60, and my fave, the new Benz C....yeah, but it's worth it.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I haven't driven any of the cars listed but the closet would be the Legacy's fat brother, the 2015 Forester 2.5 CVT. It was very smooth and felt like an automatic. I can only assume the Legacy would feel the same.

I like manual transmissions too but they are becoming an endangered species.

The Subaru and Honda CVT's are getting some very good reviews(for CVT's). Still not traditional automatics but, getting very close due to the 6 or 7 programmed shift points. PLUS, they're just more refined compared to other CVT's(NISSAN to name just one).

These 2(Honda/Subaru) CVT's could change peoples minds about CVT's...Reviewers are saying!

Last edited:
I was considering trading my Challenger in, but later changed my mind. I looked at midsize cars, and the best one for the money (all things considered and the actual bottom line price), I liked the Chevy Malibu the best.You get a lot for the money, it's American made, Chevy has a large dealer network, cheap parts, etc.

They are all great cars. It's the finer point that will make the difference to the individual making the purchase. I don't think that asking which is better in this segment is any different than doing so for an SN/GF-5 oil.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I was considering trading my Challenger in, but later changed my mind. I looked at midsize cars, and the best one for the money (all things considered and the actual bottom line price), I liked the Chevy Malibu the best.You get a lot for the money, it's American made, Chevy has a large dealer network, cheap parts, etc.
Originally Posted By: wemay
They are all great cars. It's the finer point that will make the difference to the individual making the purchase. I don't think that asking which is better in this segment is any different than doing so for an SN/GF-5 oil.

Yeah, it's all in what details you desire! For example, I could care less about the infotainment system. But, since they all have them, I would want something more simple(No info system if possible). And this is the area that Chrysler and Subaru have that is better than the others in terms of user friendliness/ease of use!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back