New Z06 vs Nismo GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 02SE
There are lots of variables.

On a prepped drag strip, it's true that a higher horsepower RWD car will still usually be able to hook up fairly early in the run. So it's higher HP will reflect in the trap speed, as compared to a lower HP AWD car that can get out of the hole quicker, and might be able to hold that hole-shot advantage to get to the end of the track quicker, even if it's trap speed is lower.

On public roads, or otherwise dirty pavement where so many "Racing Videos" take place, traction is usually at much more of a premium. So conducting short races like a 1/4 mile run on those low-traction surfaces, the high HP RWD car may not get hooked up until well into the run, if at all. In those cases the higher HP RWD car might not show a higher trap speed, because it never could get enough traction to take advantage of it's better power-to-weight ratio.

This is true. My references are all in regards to a race occurring at a track where the distance of the run is going to be accurate, the surface is going to be properly prep'd and trap/ET would be verified by proper equipment and the run started with a tree rather than a kid waving a scarf
wink.gif

The video at the beginning of this thread was performed on a proper track and the closeness in ET (11.0 vs 11.4) indicates that they didn't have much of a problem hooking the 'vette up (and the tires were very nice too, as I'm sure you noticed). In fact, they were closer on that than I expected. My issue was with the trap speed difference given the closeness in ET. Unless the 'vette was pulling a parachute, it has a 50HP advantage and less weight. It should have trapped higher. It does have quite the wing on it, but then so does the GT-R. Maybe not as severe though, given the difference in the lips between the two.

If the aero package on the 'vette is negating the weight and power advantage to the point that it traps lower, I would be very surprised. But that's what Steve seems to think is happening here
21.gif
I'd think that the GT-R perhaps is simply making more than what it is said to be making (kind of like the '03/'04 Cobra Mustang). Which then causes the whole works to make sense.

I doubt the wing on the Corvette is affecting it at 124 or whatever it trapped at.

Maybe the Z06 is just to new and all the bugs are not worked out yet. The GTR is an old and well worked over platform right now. The early GTR's not so much.

Maybe the Z06 was hot and the ECU was cutting power? What kind of gas were they running? I know it can run on 93 but maybe at the track they could have used a higher octane and that would have kept the ECU happier.

Or Nissan sent a ringer and that GTR was way over the rated HP. They should have put those two cars on a dyno.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl

I wouldn't exactly classify the GT-R as "easy",

All of these new cars are very easy to drive fast. I've seen it at track days. An idiot can get in one and look like a decent driver. The computer corrects all the mistakes.

The top gear guys can take any new car thru a corner in a controlled tire smoking drift. Try that with an old car.

I really don't care for the look of the GTR. The first time I saw one at my track club there was all this talk that a GTR was there. I think I walked past it half a dozen times before I realized that was it.

All true, but the 'vette is available as a convertible. I absolutely love convertibles, and sports cars. The list of actual high performance cars with "drop tops" is rather small.

The Z06/Z07 retest is out. The original test car had the alignment off somehow. http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1503_2015_chevrolet_corvette_z06_track_retest/

Z06 was faster this time around.

1. Porsche 918 Spyder 1:23.54
2. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z06 (M) 1:25.00
3. Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 1:25.17
4. Nissan GT-R Nismo 1:25.70
5. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z06 (A). 1:25.76
6. McLaren 650S Spider 1:25.88
7. Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 1:26.00
8. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z06 (original test) 1:27.10
9. Porsche 911 Turbo S (991) 1:27.17
10. Porsche 911 GT3 1:27.22

Summary from: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow_springs.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I hope and pray the GT-R has a proper manual transmission.

It would be slower if it did.

Who said otherwise?

In modern sports cars, the point of a manual transmission is fun, not speed.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Personally, I really like the C5 ZO6 and believe it to be a great strip, street and circuit car as well as a showcar and collector.

Funny you should say this as I've known (modded) C5 Z06es whose owners could run high 10s @ mid 120 traps at the strip, and just by putting the front sway bar back on, and adjusting shocks, and changing wheels/tires could then go out and destroy most of Germany's and Japan's finest on road courses/autocrosses.
34.gif
19.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Who said otherwise?

In modern sports cars, the point of a manual transmission is fun, not speed.

^^This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back