Loading music onto an Android phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems to have updated his location to "Gone" and in his last post said "I'm gone".

Seems like something pushed him over the edge.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
EVERY BIT OF IT is in "audio" format.

What the heck is "audio" format?

Like Earl said, "audio" format might be WMA. WMA is an alternative file structure to MP3. MP3 is the universal standard. WMA is a Microsoft thing. Sony has their files. There is also OGG Vorbis and I'm sure others.

You should convert all your music to MP3. There are various softwares that can do it. http://download.cnet.com/Free-WMA-to-MP3/3000-2140_4-75758783.html works fine. Just be careful installing it so you don't get some junk software you weren't expecting along with it.

I say just take it to the IT dept of where you work, they will kindly help you
lol.gif
whistle.gif

Im aware of different audio formats, but a file has to have an extension and it certainly isnt an "audio" extension. It could be anything. OP needs to clarify.

Originally Posted By: Evanson

Google will then update your files with higher quality ones.

Please expand upon this statement. I have lots of music in the Google Play cloud, but was not aware it would magically be made better quality.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Please expand upon this statement. I have lots of music in the Google Play cloud, but was not aware it would magically be made better quality.

The software will identify and match your files. If Google finds a match, instead of taking bandwidth to upload your files, it will replace it with one Google already has on it's server.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The software will identify and match your files. If Google finds a match, instead of taking bandwidth to upload your files, it will replace it with one Google already has on it's server.

How does it determine better "Quality?" Is it simple bitrate? In my experience WMA files are of better quality thatn mp3 files of the same or slightly higher bitrate? I'd like to try this, but I have some songs in my collection that are rare demos and I would need to be careful that these were not overwritten by the better quality official release of the song.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
How does it determine better "Quality?"

Google Play Music streams at 320kbps. If you are uploading a song that already exists elsewhere in Play's databases, it'll skip the upload and simply allow you access to the 320kbps-encoded version already stored in their cloud.

They'd never use .wma because of it being excessively patent-encumbered and usable only on a very limited number of devices.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: dlayman
How does it determine better "Quality?"

Google Play Music streams at 320kbps. If you are uploading a song that already exists elsewhere in Play's databases, it'll skip the upload and simply allow you access to the 320kbps-encoded version already stored in their cloud.

They'd never use .wma because of it being excessively patent-encumbered and usable only on a very limited number of devices.

I've never had a problem playing wma on any device. Of course I've never owned an ipod and never will. Every android device and every music player I've ever owned played them just fine, as does the stereo in my car.

Google was incredibly smart to save space with Play by sharing the quality recordings of it and not store stuff redundantly across themselves.

I have a Samsung phone so I use the Samsung KIES3 software to manage it. Really easy. Plus the android phones like the MP3 format best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back