Serious question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can my account be closed and all my posts deleted? Not sure I want to do this, but starting to lean that way...

Originally Posted By: sicko
Okay, I definitely arrived late to the party and have no clue what you all are talking about.

Under the rules you agreed to when you joined, I don't think that you, me or Jaraxle has any rights at all WRT their posts.
I'm also not sure how hard it would be for mods or Helen to actually delete nearly 5K posts from a member.
I doubt that the software has a "delete all posts from member" function" although it might.
If someone wants to leave, why not just do so?
Why would anyone ask for an explicit account closure as well as deletion of all of their posts?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm also not sure how hard it would be for mods or Helen to actually delete nearly 5K posts from a member.
I doubt that the software has a "delete all posts from member" function" although it might.

I've worked with two forum programs (though not this one) and both of them had an option at the administrative level to either ban or deactivate an account and then gave an option to delete the post.

Of course it won't get the ones where someone has quoted a post (unless the banned/deactivated account was the tread starter - in which case I think it wipes out the whole thread) and it tends to make remaining threads read funny...

Last edited:
Tinfoil hat? Divorce? Job background check?...

Why don't you ask admin instead of the general forum?

Edited to add: I'm going to go through all your posts!

Pretty boring. I seen nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Does anyone actually have an ANSWER?

It's possible, and bar a one or two post advertiser, I've never seen it done in a decade and a half, even when requested.

The easiest answer would be to give OP limited mod rights so he can go in and delete his stuff past the usual couple-minute deadline. If there were a way he could only moderate himself. Then his self-deletion would be limited only by his motivation, if there weren't a global button.

A person can go back in time and find posts from the
thankyou2.gif
SUPER BANNED ALL STARS
thankyou2.gif
that still exist. Time has forgotten them and they've been buried.

if you can log into command line for the server, it's a matter of a simple shell script with root privilege..

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Can my account be closed and all my posts deleted? Not sure I want to do this, but starting to lean that way...

As a mod on two other internet forums I have some familiarity and the answers are yes and maybe.

Your account can definitely be banned or deleted.

Removing your posts automatically will depend on the functionality of the software used. It is certainly possible to remove your posts manually, one by one, but that is too intensive for mods to do.

In your spot I would recommend a PM to Helen and/or a mod to ask what is possible. They might be able to change settings to allow you permission to remove your own posts manually, for example.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
i have been kicked off of several facebook groups for strong opinions people didnt like
and they totally deleted all my posts like i never existed

That's a major shock, jacky.

Jarlaxle: If I remember correctly, that can't be done here. They can ban you, but they don't delete accounts on request, and to the best of my knowledge, posts have to be deleted manually. Bulk deletion would seriously goof up old threads. We can already see how messed up threads get when a mod has to go in there and clean out a couple ridiculous posts. It would only be that much worse if your nearly 5,000 posts vanished all at once.

I don't know what your reasoning is, but I've enjoyed your posts.

The OP doesn't like his user name no more. He wants to delete his account and then come back as a new reinvention with a new user name. He's afraid that if he has two accounts, somebody will put 2 and 2 together and he'll be found out. For example: Trav thinks hotwheels is a reinvented mori.
grin.gif

If you can claim residency in the EU, you can ask Google to prevent access to personal search terms defining you, they are bound by law to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back