Came down with frozen shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother had it in BOTH shoulders. In her case, it was caused by a combination of 40+ years of "shrugging" a purse/handbag onto her shoulder, and the fact that she is short enough that sitting in a desk chair means her shoulders are usually raised simply so she can use the computer/typewriter on the desk.

Her orthopedist gave her cortisone shots and physical therapy. Do the exercises, they DO work...she found that an ibuprofen just BEFORE going to PT helped the post-therapy soreness. She also discovered that she had a couple of misaligned ribs (it's all connected...), which her chiropractor was able to fix.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My mother had it in BOTH shoulders. In her case, it was caused by a combination of 40+ years of "shrugging" a purse/handbag onto her shoulder, and the fact that she is short enough that sitting in a desk chair means her shoulders are usually raised simply so she can use the computer/typewriter on the desk.

i thing that was the problem in my wife's case.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Infections are known to settle in weak regions of the body where scar tissue and unhealthy cells co-exist, thus causing immobility through capillary cells acting like glue and the painful movement or lack thereof results in a frozen condition. This is known as adhesive capsulitis.

i doubt it's infection. my reading on it indicated it could be a form of limited autoimmune disease vs repetitive injury. no one knows for sure.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Infections are known to settle in weak regions of the body where scar tissue and unhealthy cells co-exist, thus causing immobility through capillary cells acting like glue and the painful movement or lack thereof results in a frozen condition. This is known as adhesive capsulitis.

i doubt it's infection. my reading on it indicated it could be a form of limited autoimmune disease vs repetitive injury. no one knows for sure.

Just being in an inflammed state increases the chances of getting frozen shoulder. A simple bloodtest, the CRP (C-reactive protein) test shows your inflammatory state. No higher than 1.0 is normal. When you are in an inflammatory state for a long time, your odds of developing cardiovascular disease, diabetes and/or cancer is also increased. Inflammation occurs due to autoimmune reactions of the body, which happen due to illness, injury and lifestyle.

My PT expects to discharge me this coming week. I have been doing the exercise I was given every day and my progress has been excellent. With my left hand I can reach now about 12 inches higher up behind my back than I could a few weeks ago. Other than that I have kept up with my regular physical activities, which were not affected by the frozen shoulder to begin with.

hotwheels

I am just guessing, but , hey, do light exercises 3 days a week, just using resistance overhead reaches, side reach outs and light squats, you will be surprised what light work outs can do, you do not need weights--start with a dozen arm exercises and go walk somewhere for starters if you can.

Hotwheels,

It's good to hear you're doing better.

I have never suffered from frozen shoulder myself, but I did get the cold shoulder a few times.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
yes, i agree with inflammation, be he said infection. there is a difference.

That was exactly my point too. You don't need to have an infection to be inflammed.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I am just guessing, but , hey, do light exercises 3 days a week, just using resistance overhead reaches, side reach outs and light squats, you will be surprised what light work outs can do, you do not need weights--start with a dozen arm exercises and go walk somewhere for starters if you can.

I walk 7 miles per day, half of those at a quick pace or running. I do 80 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, 25 pull-ops and currently 40 Burpees daily. I also go swimming one hour (50 laps) three times a week. I also exercise with dumbbells. My only real problem with the frozen shoulder is that I can't reach all the way up to my shoulder behind my back, but I'm almost there.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Hotwheels,

It's good to hear you're doing better.

I have never suffered from frozen shoulder myself, but I did get the cold shoulder a few times.
grin.gif

Getting the cold shoulder can be just as jarring, but in a different way!

hotwheels

How could you do all of that?? I had Frozen Shoulder 4-5 years ago and could barely put a t-shirt on or hold a towel in 2 hands to dry my back after a shower!! No way on earth could I do anything more!

Had a couple steroid injections. It sucked big time, but eventually went away.

I hope it don't get worse or get like mine was.
thumbsup2.gif

Mercy sakes there Hotwheels, you're in good shape, heck with the reach behind your back thing, most in here can't walk,lol,,just kid'n gang. Congrats on the other stuff though, your doing well.

Originally Posted By: Turk
How could you do all of that?? I had Frozen Shoulder 4-5 years ago and could barely put a t-shirt on or hold a towel in 2 hands to dry my back after a shower!! No way on earth could I do anything more!

Had a couple steroid injections. It sucked big time, but eventually went away.

I hope it don't get worse or get like mine was.
thumbsup2.gif

Well, the surgeon and the PT both said it could be a whole lot worse, so I'm actually lucky.
Glad to see you back and posting!

hotwheels

Diabetics are prone to getting frozen shoulder(s). My significant other is Type II and she had a frozen shoulder that lasted for a couple of years. I'm also a Type II and had a frozen shoulder for about 8 months last year. I got a Cortisone injection but it didn't do squat for me.

It just shows up one day, hangs around and makes you miserable and then goes away. There really is no tried and true remedy. I have read on diabetes forums where some folks have had to go under local anesthetic and have the shoulder manually manipulated to break it loose.

I believe as others have stated that sitting or having your arms/shoulders in the same position for prolong periods of time can cause and exacerbate the condition.

I hope you start to feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back