2014 6.7 Cummins questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. The big rigs have to be a bit more careful to not incur the wrath of highway transport patrol, but if you're running a diesel pickup, and it looks and sound "normal" and you're not burning purple diesel on a non-farm plate (much as you indicated), you're not going to have any concerns. Even if you're running loud exhaust and purple diesel in a non-farming application, they're going to ding you for the exhaust and the purple diesel. They won't even notice an emissions delete, or care if they do. To make matters worse, prosecuting an emissions delete in this province would be a bit of a nightmare, quite likely to cause an officer's superiors to roll their eyes at him, at the very least.

There are enough loud exhausts, seatbelt infractions, misuse of colored diesel, and drunk drivers to keep them occupied.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Quote:

Now that aisin transmission is an options, I might get one myself to add to my harem of trucks.

Isn't it only an option in chassis/cab units and with a PTO? I don't see much of an advantage for it, really. Now if they come up with a version of the 8HP-x that is suitably geared for the diesel, that could be awesome both from a capability and longevity perspective.

In 2013, the Aisin transmission was an option only on the RAM 3500.

My RAM is a 4 door Laramie Limited without the dually option.

With the Aisin option, factory torque and horsepower numbers on the Cummins goes up.

To add to what Garak was saying. In Sask, I believe it was the Premier who openly stated that, although deletes are illegal, the Province will not prosecute. I wish I could recall the article. I have yet, in 20 years in Sask seen or heard of any diesel being subjected to to smog tests, litigation etc.

A brother of mine, who lives in BC commented that there is talk of getting rid of emissions testing in that Province as well. It appears that it is an awful lot of money with minimal results. Again this is hearsay.

Perhaps the wrong post but I will throw out my opinion: The only thing that would keep emissions parts on my diesel would be warranty. I think that a lot of energy goes into manufacturing these devices, one has to produce and ship nationally the DEF solution. Is all of this really worth the outcome?

But back to the fact: Enjoy your new Ram! I am looking at something similar this upcoming year.

There are a couple things under the Vehicle Equipment Regulations in this province, but the prosecution of it would require an expert witness, making it inordinately expensive. The last time I dealt with such matters, VER tickets were under $100, and I doubt they've gone through the roof since then. Under federal law, they'd need a federal prosecutor, rather than a provincial prosecutor, since it's not a Criminal Code matter and therefore on the federal tab, and that, too, would be ridiculously expensive, since they are private lawyers temporarily seconded. And, the province doesn't want Highway Transport guys enforcing obscure federal statutes. Dangerous goods regulations - sure. Smog equipment on a 3/4 ton truck - not very likely.

Good question. I have a 2011 Ram 6.7 with Racor bypass. I don't have temp swiings since I am in Calif but I did have the Mopar oil tested and found that it is the dirtiest out of 4 oils right out of the jug so I am switching to a synthetic since I only change once a year with bypass. Thinking of Amsoil.

There really is no good reason to delete the 13+ Rams equipped with SCR. Even though it has only been on the pickups for 2 model years, the C&C trucks and MD and HD rigs have been using the system for several years. The technology is much improved over 12 and prior, the engines are running cleaner than ever, very little EGR, 15k mile OCI, and beside that your throwing away the warranty on a $50-$60k dollar truck.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: horse123
Why did you pay $8k for an engine option you didn't need? Towing 10,000 pounds in short trips does not need a heavy duty turbodiesel.

That engine is a work of art.

The big question becomes...

If you are buying a RAM 2500, why aren't you buying a Cummins?

HAHA
smile.gif
Its rare to see a 2500/3500 with a hemi anymore

Glad I avoided all the emissions junk they are throwing on the new diesels. Ordered a 2013 Freightliiner without a motor or transmission. Dropped in a factory rebuilt MY 2000 Detroit 12.7 pre-emission motor and a factory rebuilt trans. Titled and registered and been hauling now for over 400K miles. No regulatory issues whatsoever, except California, and I haul nothing in or out of that state.

Just too bad the pickup OEM's don't offer the same thing that the heavy trucks do so one can do the same thing with them. Yes, it would be legal. EPA ties the emissions to the year the motor was built and not the vehicle. That is how I got by with doing what I did. There are regulations on the books that allow for using pre-used motor and drive train components in a new chassis and body. Up thru the time I got mine done, one could even still avoid the Federal Excise Tax on new vehicles doing this. The IRS has eliminated that little loophole now.

But since the pickup OEM's don't offer this, and the emissions stuff on the new diesels really provides it's own set of issues and inflated price, and the fact that I really haul more with my pickup than tow heavy, I opted for the 6.0L gasser in my 2015 Silverado 2500HD. A pretty good setup that I truly like. And now that we are on summer fuel, 17-18 mpg on highway is the norm. Not bad for a 2500 LT Z71 4x4 with snow plow prep package.

Our state statutes allow a diesel to produce an unlimited amount of smoke under acceleration, so even in the USA it's not a problem in some parts.

EPA has no patrol cars, and cops are too busy with unlicensed, uninsured, drunk illegals to tackle dumb stuff like that.

We have shops here that openly remove emissions parts on outdoor lifts and toss them in a big pile to be recycled. Nobody cares, and legislation and lobbying are nonexistent for these issues.

I wouldn't throw away a warranty for that though.

If one has a definitive need for diesel because they are towing heavy and frequently, then yes, it is the better option. In my travels around every week throughout several states in my semi truck, I have made it a point to take notice about what HD pickups have in them. On the commercial side, gas engine is the preferred power plant by several magnitudes. The lion's share of diesel equipped pickups are in private owner hands. And the bulk of them are in the hands of folks that look like they rarely pull anything. From my semi seat I can easily look down into the bed of pickup trucks. Except for the guys using pickups to commercially pull trailers from plants to dealers, and the agriculture sector, the vast majority of diesel pickups don't have a 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch in them. They don't even seem to have been using the class V hitch on the back as it shows no signs of being used. That one is hard to prove though. In a nutshell, a large portion of diesels in pickups are bought as more of a fashion statement than actual need. You know, the "I have more testosterone because I have a diesel" mindset.

Some of us have grown beyond that and get what will suffice for what we are dong. I haul more than I tow. I don't need a diesel to carry around stuff. I did need more than a 1500 could do though. And for the rare instance I do tow, the gasser will get the job done. I wouldn't be towing throughout 48 states, mountains, etc. Just my neck of the woods. What I need to tow gets done by a class 8 semi truck tractor.

Then there is the additional problems with diesel that gas equipped vehicles don't have. Emissions being one, but while I am 500 miles away, and the wife has to use the pickup to get to and from town for something, I don't want to have her in a situation to have to change a fuel filter at -25F and add 911 to the tank to get gelled diesel moving again. And those of use that go thru a heavy amount of diesel know (I go thru roughly 20,000+ gallons of diesel a year), even if you treat the fuel when you fill up, there are no guarantees that problem will not occur. I can easily handle these issues, but the wife is not quite as diesel savvy. And I live rural. I don't want her sitting in that -25F waiting for hours for a roadside service call to show up. Living metro is one thing, but living rural is another.

If one can justify diesel, then plop your money down and get one.

I don't understand people on here giving someone grief for buying the truck they WANTED to buy. Suffering from some control trip? Really what is your problem? I buy things that I want to buy. [censored] anyones opinion. I always thought this forum was to help each other, Not give newcomers a hard time for their choice on a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
There really is no good reason to delete the 13+ Rams equipped with SCR. Even though it has only been on the pickups for 2 model years, the C&C trucks and MD and HD rigs have been using the system for several years. The technology is much improved over 12 and prior, the engines are running cleaner than ever, very little EGR, 15k mile OCI, and beside that your throwing away the warranty on a $50-$60k dollar truck.

Absolutely agreed. Curious as to why my 09 Dmax has never had any issues. But we only use it for towing a 30+ foot 5th wheel camper. It has rarely even been driven bobtail at all.

Our new Ram Hemi easily tows over 10k pounds. No hunting for gears or issues at all, except maybe fuel. IMO frequent towers need diesel and occasional towers do not. But in no way does that insinuate ANYTHING about anyone's personal choice!

Drive what you want to...

Originally Posted By: camperbob
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: horse123
Why did you pay $8k for an engine option you didn't need? Towing 10,000 pounds in short trips does not need a heavy duty turbodiesel.

That engine is a work of art.

The big question becomes...

If you are buying a RAM 2500, why aren't you buying a Cummins?

HAHA
smile.gif
Its rare to see a 2500/3500 with a hemi anymore

Back in January when I was shopping for my new truck, one of the dealers in Ft Worth had an absolutely beautiful 2013 2500 4x4 Mega Cab with a Hemi, brand new that they couldn't sell. I asked the manager who ordered that truck for the lot and he said "UHEM he doesn't work here any longer".

Last edited:
I would go with factory spec oil brand of your choice at least until warranty was up.

The cummins and the 6.4 Hemi are both great trucks for their designed purposes. Each have different requirements for a truck and having both of those options is nice.

For example, I found myself needing a 3/4 truck for work. I work in a major metro city and am in stop and go traffic each and every day. I also needed a substantial payload, I haul at payload weekly most of the time. I also needed and wanted the ability to tow over 12k.

I chose the 6.4 hemi. It gave me a greater payload than the cummins and still allowed good towing numbers without the maintenance issues of lugging a diesel in traffic all day every day.

Had I had the requirement for a lower payload and longer heavier hauling I would have gotten the same truck with the Cummins. I am glad they have both options

I
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: jrmason

Absolutely agreed. Curious as to why my 09 Dmax has never had any issues. But we only use it for towing a 30+ foot 5th wheel camper. It has rarely even been driven bobtail at all.

Our new Ram Hemi easily tows over 10k pounds. No hunting for gears or issues at all, except maybe fuel. IMO frequent towers need diesel and occasional towers do not. But in no way does that insinuate ANYTHING about anyone's personal choice!

Drive what you want to...
The Dmax has a superior system (except maybe the urea SCR system)-it has a 9th injector downstream to burn off the DPF. Unlike others that inject extra fuel into the engine, & cause cylinder wash down, turbo coking, & TBN depletion in the process. OT-have you guys ever had a Dmax powered GM carpet cleaning van? Thinking about one for a work vehicle, wondering how the powertrain held up.

There is no cylinder wash or excessive turbo coking going on in any of the current big 3, at least not that is attributed to SCR. SCR allows the manufacturers to tune the engine more efficiently with less EGR and less fuel consumption than non SCR equipped systems. It is the cleanest tech available at the moment as far as the internals of an engine are concerned. For proof of that one simply needs to look at service intervals. Cummins for instance is 15k miles, which is longer than any other generation of Cummins engine (or Duramax or Powerstroke for that matter.) That tells me that the soot load and fuel dilution is less with Cummins than it ever has been. GM doesnt specify OCI they simply tell you to follow the OLM which varies on average anywhere between 5-10k miles. Current Power stroke engines have similar intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back