Toyo tires ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're somewhere in the middle!
And they may have a tire that does quite well in it's category...IDK what category that is as I don't follow the brand!

Last edited:
I would say they are upper middle. They seem to have done a really good job at limiting their exposure. Until my main tire vendor (tirebuyer.com's wholesale unit) started carrying Toyo, they were a pain to get. We could get them under the Mazda tire program, but pricing was high. It seems like Toyo tires have always been on the higher end of the price scale. They are OE fit on a lot of Mazdas and Ford has them on a couple trim levels, as we have a form to fax in to get them from Ford.

I have run Toyo winter tires on a few cars now... the Toyo GSI-5 winter tires on my Subaru are perhaps the best I've ever used... equal to or slightly superior to the Nokians on my other car...!

In Canada, they are considered a top tier winter tire... not sure about the all season and summer high performance models though...

Heavily promoted as made in Japan... high quality etc...and my winter tires are indeed made in Japan, but a friends all seasons were made in China... (Extensa... I believe)

Buyer beware... if that sort of stuff matters to you...!

Last edited:
Upper middle.
They do not have performance on par with Michelin Pilot, Bridgestone Potenza or Continetal SportContact.
Winter? still a lot of catching with Continental (European models), Bridgestone, Good year (European models).
Reason why I say European models, is that those companies clearly can make superb tires in those categories, but they choose not to bring them to the NA market.

Their 3 ply sidewall light truck tires are highly
recommended with new Toyo and Nitto models.
Toyo has a new plant in White Georgia.

I liked the Toyo A05 tires we had once. Still were great at nearly 80k miles. They were the first H rated A/A tire We had.

I have used multiple Toyo tires (from Les Schwab) and have been happy with all of them.

I had Open County A/T II on my Silverado and they worked in all conditions very well. I've had multiple sets of 800 Ultra tires on past vehicles and they were good mid-level passenger car tires.

I would put them solidly in mid-upper level

They make some very good 100 tread wear, 'semi-R' compound DOT race tires, but that is of little concern to most on here.
wink.gif

I wasn't a big fan of my Toyos but they were not bad.

michelin pilot sport is easily a better tire.
I also like my Conti DW tires more than the Toyos I had.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
They make some very good 100 tread wear, 'semi-R' compound DOT race tires, but that is of little concern to most on here.
wink.gif

Are they real 100 tread wear, or 100 tread wear to comply with SCCA and NASA regs but are actually 50 tread wear?

Toyo "Teo" 215/60 16 on my Caprice cracked up after 5 and a bit years, went hard and scaty, and had the ABS cycling in off camber hairpins...threw them away at half tread depth.

Replaced them with Pirellis...and love them...actually appreciate the car a whole lot more.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
wink.gif

Are they real 100 tread wear, or 100 tread wear to comply with SCCA and NASA regs but are actually 50 tread wear?

Hard to say, but, the ones running them in the CMC 1 & 2 (Camaro Mustang Challenge) series, where Toyo's RA1 is a spec tire, seem to get pretty good wear out of them for wheel to wheel racing.

Although NOT as sticky as the pure autocross R comps (rated either at 50, or 0 tread wear), they seem to last forever for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back