PP Euro LX 0W-30. VI 204.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Platnium Euro LX 0W-30 will soon be available in NA:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_GTDS_Pennzoil_Platinum_Euro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_%28SN_C2_C3_OEMs%29_%28en%29_TDS.pdf

If you can't open the link the basic spec's for this GTL SN C3 low SAPS oil are as follows:

KV40 58.7cSt
KV100 11.9cSt
VI 204
CCS @-35C 5,800cP
MRV @-40 18,900cP
HTHSV 3.5cP

Approvals:
-Fiat 9.55535.DSI/GSI
-MB-229.31, 229.51
-VW 504.00/507.00

If the spec's stand-up under scrutiny this will be the lightest 30 grade (HTHSV 3.5cP) oil on start-up at all temperatures on the market. In fact it's lighter than PP 5W-30 at temp's as high as 90F due to it's 204 VI.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this oil although we have been fooled before with claimed 200+ VI 30 grade and heavier oils; Motul 8100 Eco-Clean 0W-30 and Sustina 0W-50 come to mind. So I'll be looking forward to seeing a VOA on it to confirm the KV40 and VI spec's plus the actual AW additive levels being a low SAPS oil.

CATERHAM, the link opens just fine with a 'copy and paste'.

I would like to give it a try come this winter in a 2015 VW TDI. (Cripes I am all ready talking about the coming winter.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Including Canada?

Hopefully the timeline for arrival is by Fall.

Nice specs. I like thicker 30 weights, but also want the lighter oil for start up. This looks like it could be a win-win with a thick 30 weight, but normal starting thickness.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Including Canada?

Hopefully the timeline for arrival is by Fall.

Supposed to be available in the next couple of weeks.

Not for diesels, but since this is in the gasser forum, I think THIS is their best. Compare the CCS/MRV. Yowza!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Not for diesels, but since this is in the gasser forum, I think THIS is their best. Compare the CCS/MRV. Yowza!!!
crazy2.gif

CCS and MRV are backwards on that PDS. It also has a higher NOACK than other 0w-40's on the market.

Where are you getting the Noack figure you've alluded to?

Click the link he just posted (for the 0w-40 SRT oil). It has a NOACK of 13%. In the same PDS you'll see CCS/MRV are reversed. That's why I quoted and replied to him.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Not too long ago, M1 introduced their equivalent and nobody on this forum got their skirts blown up.

Because it only has a VI of 180
wink.gif
And is 20-30% PAO.

So given that it is 504/507 it will be low SAPS and probably be fairly lousy TBN retention, same as my tests of the M1 5w-30 504/507 oil.

I wonder what NOACK is...

Yes M1 ESP 0W-30 is direct competition to PP Euro LX:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_X1_0W-30.aspx

If its base oil composition is indeed "20-30% PAO" it's 24,500cP MRV while good does pale compared to PP Euro LX's 18,900cP.

Yup, would be interesting to see CCS for them, I bet it is very close.

I would posit that the Mobil product will have slightly lower NOACK (like with the 0w-40 products) but that's just a hunch.

What's the minimum Noack requirement to meet the referenced Mercedes spec's? IIRC it's 10%? I don't chase Noack and have only academic interest in the spec' but if it's good enough for Mercedes it's more than good enough for my liking.

One difference between M1 and PP that most will appreciate is availability and price. I suspect M1 should have an advantage in that regard.

We know darned well we're not going to see that anywhere in Canada, aside from, possibly, a dealer or a Pennzoil-Quaker State approved SOPUS distributor. They have absolutely no interest in supplying anything except 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30 PCMOs to Canadian Tire and Walmart. Heck, you'll find SAE 30 PYB easier than this stuff.

And, if you do find it, Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 will be half the price. And you can get that in a case of 12 one litre bottles, Caterham.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back