Table saw blade guard, Do you use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not likely the home owner wishing a table saw will pop for a $1400, saw stop set up, then even if needed having to replace an expensive blade and other items.

Factory/cabinet shop, ya that'll work.

I remembered seeing a competitive system to Saw Stop, so I looked it up. Bosch has a system where they just drop the blade (well it looks like they actually propel it down):

Here's the video. The video is a bit annoying, but you get the idea:

But it wouldn't stop something like happened to a fellow I know. He's a safe worker, but stuff happens to the best of us. He was cutting a smallish piece of wood and BANG! kickback. The piece of wood fired off his saw, punched a hole in his garage door, and ended up in his neighbors yard.

I have experienced kick back with a lightweight, direct drive, contractors type table saw. The base was kind of wobbly and the motor under powered.
When running out a 2x6 I guess I hit a tough section, the blade laboured, the base shifted which caused the blade to twist and grab. The 2x6 was then fired back.
Fortunately I was standing to the side, not behind the blade, as is my habit.

The saw did have a guard, but in this case it did not help.

Been looking into a few cabinet shops since I posted this.
5 so far, 8 saws, not one with a guard!

I adjust the blade so that teeth are just barely above the wood to minimize kickback and finger exposure. I don't use the guard as it just gets in the way.

I also go to great lengths to make sure the fence is parallel with the blade. Even being slightly out will cause burning and greatly increase chance of kickbacks.

I started with a 1.5 HP "contractor saw" that did not like hardwood and had a fence that was difficult to keep square. Newer 3HP cabinet saw will not bind or stop on hardwood and the fence is much better and safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back