What this guy is looking after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was an informative rigorous analysis!.
Food dye might color the oils to his liking.
What would require sae40 oil anyway?, perhaps an old motorbike or agricultural flathead machine?.

Claud

Originally Posted By: Claud
What would require sae40 oil anyway?, perhaps an old motorbike or agricultural flathead machine?.

Many people run straight 40 in all their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

Sure, in Australia! Only thing I've ever seen spec'ed for a straight 40 is a 2-stroke Detroit Diesel.

Moly makes oil darker, so the guy may be looking for an oil with a nice dose of moly.
Oils without moly, like VWB or Durablend tend to be very light in color.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Sure, in Australia! Only thing I've ever seen spec'ed for a straight 40 is a 2-stroke Detroit Diesel.

I didn't say it was a good idea but a distressing amount of people do it.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Moly makes oil darker, so the guy may be looking for an oil with a nice dose of moly.
Oils without moly, like VWB or Durablend tend to be very light in color.

Agree 100%, and what about detergents like sodium sulfonates, doesn't it make the base oil to get darker?

I didn't say it was a good idea but a distressing amount of people do it.
sick.gif

I think the Teutuls put SAE40 in a chopper once and left it in the cold overnight and started it the next morning.

Where did you get the "fact" that people run a straight 40 in Australia ?

I don't know of anywhere that you could buy an SAE40 without a special order.

do they even still exist? If an oil must be marked to the most extreme SAE grading test it passes, wouldn't a current oil be a 15W40 even without Viscosity improvers or pour point depressants?

and if not, would you want such an oil?

Don't know about Aus or Europe, but straight 40 is available at every parts store and Wal-Mart in the U.S.

15w40 is usually available, and is typically the cheapest oil you can buy, followed by 10w40.

Even oil for garden equipment is typically 15w40.

2 stroke oil often has SAE30 somwhere on the label though

I think the guy wants that for industrial applications, IDK, or may a stationary engine?

the color I'd say it's a dark greenish. What add would make that greenish color in oil (appart of dye)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back