Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.0L MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty impressed with this car's fuel economy #'s after 8k miles. I drive 22 miles on a major highway @ 80+ mph and I average 33-34 mpg. I was cruising with the flow of traffic a few times at 90 mph and I was still in the low 30's for MPG. The engine seems to really live up to the the fuel economy claims.

That sounds about right. I got upper 30s with my 5MT 1.8L Corolla at 75 mph and mid 30s around town, but it was down a few cubic inches, and your "city" miles are probably slower than mine, depending on where you live in NJ. Sounds like your Mazda is running well.

I get 42-44 MPG on my work commute. 2 weeks ago I got 45 MPGs on a 200mi round trip cruising at 70 MPH.

I love mine.

Should MPG credit given to engine or transmission ? Or both should share credit ?

If the same car with same Skyactiv engine with 3 or 4-speed transmission and turning around 3500-4000 RPM at 80 MPH, which MPG should you get ?

If the same transmission in the same car with previous generation engine, what MPG should you get with similar driving condition ?

I don't have any fact to support my opinion, but I think majority of good MPG should be given to transmission.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Should MPG credit given to engine or transmission ? Or both should share credit ?........................................................I don't have any fact to support my opinion, but I think majority of good MPG should be given to transmission.

About equal credit. Modern 6-speed automatics are about 10% better on MPG than an older 4-speed. Then the high compression (thermal efficiency) and DI (anti-knock) of the SkyActiv Mazda system is good for another 10% or so above the older Mazda engines, and you got 20% total easily.

Buster, what do you typically average over a whole tank of gas?

~33mpg isn't bad at ~80mph cruising.

My XV Crosstrek 5spd is humming along disturbingly at those speeds and I get about 28-29mpg.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Buster, what do you typically average over a whole tank of gas?

~33mpg isn't bad at ~80mph cruising.

My XV Crosstrek 5spd is humming along disturbingly at those speeds and I get about 28-29mpg.

AWD (Subarus) systems always reduce MPG another 1 to 3 mpg just lugging the extra weight and drivetrain losses.

>I was cruising with the flow of traffic a few times at 90 mph

uh no you weren't. Traffic does not flow that fast even when the speed limit is 75.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
I'm pretty impressed with this car's fuel economy #'s after 8k miles. I drive 22 miles on a major highway @ 80+ mph and I average 33-34 mpg. I was cruising with the flow of traffic a few times at 90 mph and I was still in the low 30's for MPG. The engine seems to really live up to the the fuel economy claims.

My 2015 Mazda3 sedan 2.0 automatic gets the same numbers as you at same speeds. I have gotten 42.2 mpg's with the cruise set at 68 mph on a 200 mile highway trip one warm night. Tires set at 38 psi. I drive aggressive around town and get 28 mpg on average.

My 2012 Mazda3 hatchback 2.0 automatic seems to get ~2 mpg less around town. The highest for my 2012 was a highway trip at 38.7 mpg's with cruising around 70 mph. Tires set at 38 psi. I drive aggressive around town and get 26 mpg on average.

For the comfort and overall performance of both cars, I am very happy with their fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: horse123

uh no you weren't. Traffic does not flow that fast even when the speed limit is 75.

OP is in Jersey, so I can vouch that traffic does flow that fast at times.

Those are some impressive mpg figures!

I get about 22-24 cruising on the interstate in my Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Sometimes I will crest 25 mpg. I do miss my 4 cylinder for gas mileage, but the Crown Vic is so much more fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: horse123

You have obviously never visited or driven through NJ. Traffic can and does flow that fast at certain times and at certain places. Been there, done that.

Sounds like good fuel economy for the speeds reported.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Those are some impressive mpg figures!

I get about 22-24 cruising on the interstate in my Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Sometimes I will crest 25 mpg. I do miss my 4 cylinder for gas mileage, but the Crown Vic is so much more fun to drive.

My Challenger isn't the greatest for mileage either. It averages about 24; 26 if I use 89 octane and take it easy on the pedal. I like larger cars because I'm 6'6", but I really miss the good mpgs when I had my Cavalier. Buster, that's crazy good mileage out of that Mazda!

I run nothing but premium fuel now and i keep my tires at 38 psi. I have the 6spd manual. The AT is my wife's. I don't know what MPG she is getting.

I am getting these numbers while driving 80-90mph. I'm often driving 90 mph for a good stretch of it too. RPM's are around 3,100 at those speeds.

Wait til better weather arrives!
smile.gif
You should be getting even better MPG during the summer months(40 mpg).

Generally with my daughter's '06 Mazda3 in my signature, she is blessed!

Running at 80 mph from PA to NY(and back) for 500 miles, she is getting 35-36 mph with a 4 speed auto tranny. And she has gotten 40 driving on flatter roads from NY to IL(Chicago).

It's been like this since she bought the car w/50K miles. Now has 120K miles and it's the same!
smile.gif

Has to be a lighter car and a more broken in engine! I myself, in this car, have even gotten 36 mpg from Rochester to Baltimore(in JULY) at 80 mph on one tank of gas and driving for 6 straight hours. We've done this trip many times from between 5:55 min to 6:10 min. which is ~60 mph ave. Taking into account for getting on/off the hiwy and to our final destination(HOTEL/downtown)

I have checked here speedometer/odometer with GPS and all it right on!

Last edited:
I agree Char. I use mine to haul 4 people to football games every saturday in the fall. Averaging 75 MPH (top speed 80-85, min 70) and fairly hilly I still net 38 MPG worst case round trip (240 miles) every time.

Mine is a bit lower (generally ~30) but my commute speeds range from 20 to 80 (avg speed according to the car's computer is 30 over 33,000 miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back