New tires for '04 Accord, take two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had somewhat prematurely narrowed choices to the PureContact Ecoplus and General RT43 in the 205/60R16 size, but some great feedback after the initial post has led me to reconsider staying with Michelin (MXV'4s have 76000 miles on them and 4/32 wear) and going with the Premier's. I blindly assumed I would return to the same local dealer where installation plus road hazard would run roughly $37/tire, but was encouraged to try warehouse stores, and BJ's offers mounting plus road hazard for 15/tire. 4 Premiers mounted will run $600 OTD including discounts, but I will still need to get a 4-wheel alignment. The local dealer says they will price match, we'll see....

You should keep in mind that after sale services are importance. Local tire store can do rotation within 15-20 minutes if you have appointment, since the Accord is front wheel drive you need to rotate the tires about 5k, if BJ will rotate the tire first comes first serves you may wait up to 1.5-2.0 hours like Costco. Do you like to waste extra 1.5 hours every few months ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You should keep in mind that after sale services are importance. Local tire store can do rotation within 15-20 minutes if you have appointment, since the Accord is front wheel drive you need to rotate the tires about 5k, if BJ will rotate the tire first comes first serves you may wait up to 1.5-2.0 hours like Costco. Do you like to waste extra 1.5 hours every few months ?

My local Bj's will take appointments if you don't want to wait for first come first serve. You might want to ask.

Good point. I am not familiar with BJ's tire service but this will be a good question to ask. The local dealer does have "lowest price guarantee", but as we know, this can be left open to interpretation. I have been satisfied with their service-usually 20-40 minutes for rotation and balance.

We don't have BJ's in Southern California, may be not In West Coast. Local Costco doesn't accept appointment for tire rotation. my friends had to wait up to 2 hours for a simple 5 minutes job.

Our local BJs takes appointments. I rotate my tires myself anyway, so it's not a consideration for me. I do enjoy the included flat repair and/or tire replacement certificate, though. We've already had to have one of our Primacy MXV4s replaced by BJs. Another 15 bucks (for the new tire's certificate), and we were on our way.

You might want to check out Town Fair Tire. They will do a price match and they also include a free front end alignment. I think they charge extra for a 4 wheel alignment. I normally just prefer Goodyear tires and have gotten some good sales at the Goodyear store in the past when they have a rebate and a buy 3 get one free offer going on, cheaper buying 4 tires than 2. For instance, right now they have the Tripletred all season V rated tire for $127 each and there's a $120 rebate if you use the Goodyear credit card, no buy 3 get one free though.

I got 4 Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring from Discount Tire and they matched tire crawler price. I got their 100 down to 79 each (no tax) and then a 60 dollar rebate too:) $316.00 Total
Shipped free to: BIG O TIRES/LAKE FOREST
20742 Lake Forest Drive, Unit C-3
Lake Forest, CA. 92630
12 each to install and balance

Now many months and still very happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: k24a4

Good point. I am not familiar with BJ's tire service but this will be a good question to ask. The local dealer does have "lowest price guarantee", but as we know, this can be left open to interpretation. I have been satisfied with their service-usually 20-40 minutes for rotation and balance.

600 OTD for 4 Premier AS tires is a good price and is similar to what I paid at Costco.

My local Costco takes appointments for tire rotations. However, if your store doesn't, one tip that I can give you is to go just before the store opens for the day. The line is usually shorter at that time. It's also better to go on weekdays than weekends.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with the tire service at Costco. I'm not sure if BJ's does the same, but one good thing about Costco is that they hand-torque your lug nuts with a torque wrench to manufacturer specs instead of over-torquing them with the air wrench. They even suggest that you come back after 50 miles for a torque check!

By the way, if there are no wear issues on your current tires, then you may be able to get away with skipping the 4-wheel alignment. As long as your current tires are wearing evenly, then there shouldn't be any issues with the new tires unless you happened to hit a big pothole right after getting the new tires installed. On our Accords, the only aspect of alignment that can actually be adjusted is toe, and it's rare for that to go out of adjustment unless you've been in an accident or hit some big potholes. (Adjusting camber is possible, but not without aftermarket camber plates). If you want to get a quick alignment check, most Honda dealerships will do it free of charge and will give you the printout afterwards.

However, I understand that doing a 4-wheel alignment can give peace of mind, so do what feels right to you!

Last edited:
Bj's does take appointments during the week, but is first come first serve on the weekend.

I am strongly considering the Premier for a little over $600 installed.

Costco and Sam Clubs have very limited choices for tire, not like DTD and AT/DT. If local DT/AT store doesn't carry some particular brand/model they still can order it. Try special order with Costco and Sam Clubs.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Bj's does take appointments during the week, but is first come first serve on the weekend.

I am strongly considering the Premier for a little over $600 installed.

The Premiers are great tires. A little lacking in cornering and dry traction, but phenomenal in noise, ride and straight-line stability. I've found that they ride a bit better after 500-1000 miles for some reason.

Just had a set installed onto a friend's Civic this week. I was happy enough with my set to recommend to others.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The Premiers are great tires. A little lacking in cornering and dry traction, but phenomenal in noise, ride and straight-line stability. I've found that they ride a bit better after 500-1000 miles for some reason.

I've found this the case quite often...new tires seem to need a "break-in" period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back