Dairy pr oduct users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Can't have sodium here ... well, I have to watch it. And apparently dairy is bad for cholesterol? Which I already have high.

I DO love Pizza!

Depends..eggs are no problem and neither is skim or 1% milk. You actually get used to that.

And if your risk factor is greater than 7.5% of dying in the next 10 years from a heart attack you need (should) take a statin. My risk at 69 y.o. was 15%. Now on the statins (extremely cheap generic) and my risk is 7.5%.

In spite of the internet Statin Hating Website. There are few downsides compared to the big downside (death) if you don't take them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: car51
yeah, but AL is correct it does have a high sodium count to begin with.

And yet, with a well-balanced diet, a cup or glass of buttermilk should not push you over the edge.

hotwheels

I agree. If you are cognizant of your sodium...everything in moderation. I have a particular issue with salt and blood pressure. You can really help negate the sodium issue by eatinn fruits (high in potassium) I try to get as much potassiujm as sodium if not more.

You are correct about the importance of adequate potassium intake. The balance between sodium and potassium intake is frequently off with people getting insufficient amounts of potassium.

By the way, if you have high blood pressure, you may want to look into eating lots of foods that contain magnesium, especially nuts and seeds. Magnesium is the antagonist to calcium. Both work in tandem and make our muscles function properly. Magnesium also relaxes the lining of our blood vessels, making them constrict less, thus lowering blood pressure.

Especially if you take diuretics or a clacium channel blocker as part of your high blood pressure treatment, you should get your electrolytes plus magnesium, potassium and phosphorus regularly checked, since these the normal levels of super-important compounds can easily be affected by bp medications.

hotwheels

The doc tried to push me into diuretics. I just don't eat a lot of Sodium / processed foods and it seems to be working for that stuff.

Definitely have to keep up on the potassium ... if I don't get enough in I have heart palpitations and really bad muscle spasms.

Originally Posted By: car51
p.s. I know that buttermilk is NOT good for you, but I have a 8oz. glass every morning even weekends :)

when my faulks went with me on a vacation (i was 5) the small mom and pop bnb had bulls (the females, not the male). that milk was something.. very rich and a bit more ticker/fattier than regular milk from grazing cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back