gluten-free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
saw here a few posts about healthy diets/styles which kind of resemble gluten-free.
just curious if you do anything ordinary or not, by choice or necessity.
Thanks.
pandus13

People should read more about gluten free diets. Unless you are allergic to gluten (a few people are) or gluten causes inflammation then there is no reason to avoid gluten. Its a healthy food (whole wheat is healthy for example).

In order to make products without gluten some companies use rice flour, but Consumer Reports has determined that a lot of rice has high levels of arsenic (mainly due to the way its grown, flooded).

I also hear that flour made of ground up crickets is available for gluten free diets (YUM).

Most people who claim a gluten sensitivity are hipsters who do it to sound interesting. My diet is heavy on fresh vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. I eat eggs and lean meat for protein. Nothing special, although I avoid processed foods when possible. I'm in good health.

Started following a low carb diet (very low, try for less than 30 carbs per day for 13 days, then one cheat/shock day every 14 days loaded with carbs) a few years ago. Though not the same a gluten free, there is a bunch of overlap in actual foods recommended.

I do not follow low carb to lose weight, I follow to stay off of any drugs for diabetes, high blood pressure, or cholesterol. Results have been positive. The diet itself has no room for processed foods, so it forces one to eat better than on an unrestricted diet.

If you truly have Celiac disease you should be gluten-free for sure. My father in law died from cancer directly caused by this. My wife is gluten-free because of this and because the testing confirmed it (scopes and biopsies).

the reason gluten free diet helps a lot of people (it fixed my daughter's problems even though she tested negative for antibodies), a lot of people have allergy to many grains. if you avoid gluten, you avoid the problems grains too.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Most people who claim a gluten sensitivity are hipsters who do it to sound interesting. My diet is heavy on fresh vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. I eat eggs and lean meat for protein. Nothing special, although I avoid processed foods when possible. I'm in good health.

small correction: the hipsters/the fashion of dieting Gluten-Free made it very difficult/MORE EXPENSIVE for the ones really affected by gluten to do with. on the other hand, it made gluten-free products available at almost any big store around you.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
the reason gluten free diet helps a lot of people (it fixed my daughter's problems even though she tested negative for antibodies), a lot of people have allergy to many grains. if you avoid gluten, you avoid the problems grains too.

could you post a bit more about this?
PM me if too private.
i'm interested how you get a kid to held from what all the peers eat.
many thanks

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
If you truly have Celiac disease you should be gluten-free for sure. My father in law died from cancer directly caused by this. My wife is gluten-free because of this and because the testing confirmed it (scopes and biopsies).

this hits close to home. could you post a bit more?
a few gluten-free resources/recipes would be truly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

could you post a bit more about this?
PM me if too private.
i'm interested how you get a kid to held from what all the peers eat.
many thanks

simple, eating food with gluten would make her sick, AFTER she was off gluten for a longer while. Unfortunately, if you never stop gluten, your body adjusts and you don't know you are affected, except for just being tired and gaining (or losing) wait. You have to stop eating offending substance and then reintroduce it to see if it makes you sick.

I am now gluten free. I was having stomach aches after eating. Found I was sensitive to gluten by elimination diet. It's an easy diet once you get used to it. I have lost 20lbs too. I have not been tested for Celiac disease as of yet. I am just happy to be able to eat without the stomach pain.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

+1
"I'll have a soy chai latte, a coconut water and a gluten free macaroon please" - hipster
I work at a supermarket and 95% of people that buy or ask me where the gluten free section is are either 60 year old hippie women or 20-35 year old hipster looking people. The other 5% is "my sister is coming for dinner and she's intolerant to gluten"

My mom has been gluten-free for nine years, long before it became popular. She had some digestive and stomach issues they went away after cutting out the gluten and that was all the evidence she needed. If you have any symptoms or problems, try cutting out the gluten for a few weeks and see how you feel.The availability and selection of gluten-free foods has improved immensely over the last few years and they seem to taste quite a bit better as well.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I am now gluten free. I was having stomach aches after eating. Found I was sensitive to gluten by elimination diet. It's an easy diet once you get used to it. I have lost 20lbs too. I have not been tested for Celiac disease as of yet. I am just happy to be able to eat without the stomach pain.

This was my experience too, plus I had sore joints, back pain. I don't know if its gluten or just grains in general, but I just avoid grains(except rice) and feel a lot better than I did before, plus I lost 25lbs in a year without trying.
There's not a lot of vitamins and minerals in grains anyways(except those that are added) so its almost easier to eat better. Plus my blood sugar doesn't go crazy anymore so I have less craving for calories if dinner is delayed a bit. I eat a lot of carrots now which are as cheap as dirt, so that kind of equalizes the cost of eating more proteins.

Change from carrots to something else, they're high in sugar and aren't really that good for you. I used to do the same (3lb bag in a week) but i've changed to dark evil greens instead, or celery and peanut butter.

According to "Wheat Belly Total Health" by Davis..the problem is the grasas grains whether whole or not..oats, wheat, barley. He recommends cutting them out altogether. He recommends more protein, and fats.

Easy to say he is wrong but I cant prove he is and neither can anyone else. He is not a "Jhonny-come-lately" He has done considerable research.

I am heading in that direction and can positively say that I feel much much better. And one thing I know..carbs..in general are the worst of the protein, fat, carb "food groups".

He also says unless you are proven intolerant to gluten via Celiac Disease it is not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Al
According to "Wheat Belly Total Health" by Davis..the problem is the grasas grains whether whole or not..oats, wheat, barley. He recommends cutting them out altogether. He recommends more protein, and fats.

Easy to say he is wrong but I cant prove he is and neither can anyone else. He is not a "Jhonny-come-lately" He has done considerable research.

I am heading in that direction and can positively say that I feel much much better. And one thing I know..carbs..in general are the worst of the protein, fat, carb "food groups".

He also says unless you are proven intolerant to gluten via Celiac Disease it is not a problem.

I am convinced that the current USDA Food Pyramid is unfortunately skewed in favor of a rather large amount of carbohydrates. Don't get me wrong, the human body requires carbohydrates to function properly, but when consumed in excess, carbohydrates wreak havoc with the metabolism. While one needs to keep an eye on calories, one needs to be more watchful where those calories come from.

I tolerate gluten without any problems. Gluten-free has gone from a market niche to popular. Many humans find bandwagons rather irresistable.

hotwheels

hotwheels,
can you relay some of your clinical experience with people on gluten-free diets (either by choice or necessity/celieac/coeliac)?
i'm interested if you got to see any long term effects or neglects.

many thanks

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

I am convinced that the current USDA Food Pyramid is unfortunately skewed in favor of a rather large amount of carbohydrates.

that food pyramid thing has been discontinued for some time now. it was never based on any science. I've heard it was phased in mostly due to insistence of agro industry lobbyists.

millions of Americans lost their life due to diabetes in the process. makes you wonder why there was never any hearings about this.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

I am convinced that the current USDA Food Pyramid is unfortunately skewed in favor of a rather large amount of carbohydrates.

that food pyramid thing has been discontinued for some time now. it was never based on any science. I've heard it was phased in mostly due to insistence of agro industry lobbyists.

millions of Americans lost their life due to diabetes in the process. makes you wonder why there was never any hearings about this.

I think it originated in WW2, so it would help convince people to switch to more easily produced grains than animal proteins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back