Highlander Shock Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 130K on my 2006 Highlander and I think the ride has been wobbly and I have to replace the shocks. I would like to know from the forum

a) Brand (I like the OEM which is priced at $180/piece)
b) intend to replace the boots, I would like to know what else could be replaced as a PM (bearings etc).

This job is going to take me 4 hrs, I need to not have to go back to replace anything for the foreseeable future.

Don't even know if they come in your application but I would check Gabriel Ultras. We use them in our service fleet and i even put them on my Daughter's truck with GREAT results at really good pricing.

Best of luck, aren't the oem's Tokiko or something?

If Bilstein has shocks for your Highlander I would go with it. OEM lasted less than 10 years does tell you that they are not so good.

If you go with Gabriel's, give their customer service a calland explain what type of ride u like . (Soft vs stiff). The tech will tell u which mofrl shock to buy. I was gonna get the ultras for my last vehicle, but the tech told me to get the guardians if I wanted oem feel. Saved money and labor/time.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If Bilstein has shocks for your Highlander I would go with it. OEM lasted less than 10 years does tell you that they are not so good.
A lot of big truck guys are going to those shocks. Interesting to see a yellow and blue Euro shoch on a big diesel pickup.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A lot of big truck guys are going to those shocks. Interesting to see a yellow and blue Euro shoch on a big diesel pickup.

Bilstein have always been popular with trucks and pony cars. Bilstein are factory on Chevy Z71s and some Ford trucks (although not painted blue and yellow on Ford). Bilstein were OEM on the 00 Cobra R and 03-04 Cobras.

OP, Bilstein would be amazing for your Highlander, but look for a quick strut setup. That will include new coil spring, mounts, and bearings.

I also have an 06 Highlander and changed my struts a few years ago. I used KYB struts at the time which were gray color and made in Japan. I have since found out that KYB now makes their struts for this application in Taiwan and they are black in color. If you can find new old stock KYB struts made in Japan, I know you will be happy with them. Unfortunately Bilstein does not make struts for the Highlander.

Folks educate me, this is the first time I am hearing Gabriel shocks.
I have always been a Tokico/KYB guy, how does the Gabriels compare to OEM/KYB.

Autozone carries the Gabriel Ultra's but I really want to get this right.

My time redoing it would be a PITA once I go down this shock

A couple times I've used non-KYB and I wasn't happy so now I stick with KYB and everything rides really well.

I believe the older, gray color, made in Japan KYB struts are called GR-2 and the current black color, made in Taiwan, KYB struts are Excel-G.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
I have always been a Tokico/KYB guy, ...

Add in Bilstein and Koni (and possibly Sachs/Boge for Euro Stuff) and you have it

Excel G is supposed to = GR2.

Check Amazon, you can sometimes get really good deals on 4 KYB there.

At 130K I'd also plan on replacing bump stops and strut bearings...

If the Gabriel Ultra is available in an application specific listing I would not hesitate. I have these on everything from a 9000+ pound fleet service van to my daughter's mazda/ranger micro truck. They are uniformly fantastic, guaranteed forever, and surprisingly inexpensive...

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I believe the older, gray color, made in Japan KYB struts are called GR-2 and the current black color, made in Taiwan, KYB struts are Excel-G.

When I changed struts on my 2003 Saturn ION, I bought KYB Excel-G, but they were made in Japan.

I also encountered ones made in the USA for other vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back