Passenger door won't open 1996 I30/Maxima!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock issues, too.

Front passenger door won;t open from either the inside or outside.

If I unlock the doors from the passenger door, it only fully unlocks when I turn the key twice (turn once to unlock only the one door, turn twice to unlock all four doors)

When I unlock from the driver's door, the driver door unlocks correctly with the first key turn, but then when I unlock all the doors with the second key turn, they all unlock but then all the doors lock back up immediately!

When I unlock the door from thew switch inside, the doors unlock then lock.

they way you have explained it, I would sell/junk the car, your explanation gave me a headache, I couldn't image dealing with that in reality

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
they way you have explained it, I would sell/junk the car, your explanation gave me a headache, I couldn't image dealing with that in reality

This from a guy who thinks nothing of taking an engine apart?
You'll run into electrical or body harware problems at some point too, and you'll learn how to deal with them.
To the OP, the lock/unlock problem sounds like either a switch or relay issue. Check Nissan/Infiniti boards for the cause, since you won't be the first to have had this problem and you can take advanatge of the hard-won knowledge of others.
The front passenger door problem sounds mechanical, like a broken or detached rod, which prevents the interior or exterior pulls from operating the latch.
Remove the interior door panel and have a look.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I can't remove the panel because I can't open the door
frown.gif

it could be 3 things it could be the actuator see if the button moves a little bit but stops if it does it is not that.. What i think happened is either a spring broke or it needs lube and is stuck...
Go to another door with the window down lock the door and pull up the handle, now try to unlock the door with the handle up if it feels exactly like the bad door thats the problem. You have to get a wedge and force space between the window and door and look inside. Depending on where you go it should be under $80.00 at a resonable locksmith. Be careful and ask for a price quote because some of those guys like auto mechanics and other tradespeople are not always honest ...Ask How Much!

My Maxima does something similar to this. When I unlock the drivers side door, all doors unlock. When I turn the key back to the neutral position all door but the passenger lock again. In my case the passenger side actuator/ linkage doesd not fully unlock, so the sensor still sees a locked or locking door. This in turn locks the rest of the doors as the factory intended.

Unlocking the passenger door from the inside or with the key works just fine though.

I just need to buy an actuator.

Do your lock relays click repeatedly while driving if you dont lock the doors?

Originally Posted By: asand1
Do your lock relays click repeatedly while driving if you dont lock the doors?

No, they do not click.

What happens if you manually unlock the door using the old fashioned plunger or manual rocker switch/tab? I can't remember what the manual door lock is like on a '96 Maxima.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What happens if you manually unlock the door using the old fashioned plunger or manual rocker switch/tab? I can't remember what the manual door lock is like on a '96 Maxima.

The switch will manually lock/unlock, but the door still won't open

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I can't remove the panel because I can't open the door
frown.gif

Get some tools used by repo men, then try to open the door.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if this will work in your situation.

Would disconnecting the battery and manually unlocking the door help? Had a similar issue with aftermarket power door lock. The actuator wanted to immediately go to the lock position when unlocked. To end the problem, reverted to manual by disconnecting and removing the electric lock actuator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

This from a guy who thinks nothing of taking an engine apart?
You'll run into electrical or body harware problems at some point too, and you'll learn how to deal with them.
To the OP, the lock/unlock problem sounds like either a switch or relay issue. Check Nissan/Infiniti boards for the cause, since you won't be the first to have had this problem and you can take advanatge of the hard-won knowledge of others.
The front passenger door problem sounds mechanical, like a broken or detached rod, which prevents the interior or exterior pulls from operating the latch.

sure, I dunno why people make such a big deal out of taking an engine apart...

and I don't like dealing with electrical issues with car, there just isn't enough DIY or proper explanation on diagnosis from my experience, other then 1 car, I have never had any electrical issues with cars, our experiences will vary...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: dishdude

The switch will manually lock/unlock, but the door still won't open

my guess is the rod from the actuator to the door lock is unhooked (inside the door panel.
I have a 99 I30 and at times the passenger door (only) will not unlock like it should, we have to do it manually so aask on the fourth generation maxima forum. other doors work fine all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back