1960 CJ5 4 cylinder F4-134 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentleman

I have a 1960 CJ5 jeep (Kaiser Willy's) that I just purchased. Engine supposedly has less than 50 hours on it since rebuild. Also I don't know the builder of the current engine. It is a (2.2L) 4-134 F head engine. What type of oil should I run in the engine? It was probably originally spec'd for 30W. Can I run new products like Ultra Platinum Pennzoil? I am unsure what oil is currently in the engine and would like to change it out. Also what if anything should I do for a break in period of time or a break in oil. In addition, I am located at 9,550 feet in the mtns of Colorado where the vehicle will reside....also I may not do much winter driving other than to start the vehicle once a month or so.....Please advise and thanks for your help.

Regards
Lindsey

Agree with andyd for the winter.

Since it will only be run in the warmer months and originally was straight 30, a solid 10w30 should do you fine.

It may have been specified for a 10w40 also, so with that in mind on a brand new engine perhaps Rotella 5w40 would do well.

If you know who rebuilt it that would be a good place to start.

If it's the original engine check for blogs on those things and see what other owners say.

Have you driven at that altitude? It's bound to be kind of doggy at 9500'. Even modern FI engines start getting a power loss at those heights.

Sounds like a fun fixer upper project.

Yep making some changes to the plugs carb distributor and air intake.....finally have it running ok at this altitude....surprisingly.....sounds like Rotella could be a good oil for this machine....thanks

Originally Posted By: earlyre
9000+ feet? Sounds like a good place to add a turbo.(compensates for the thin air)

That would be nice.

However, some people like to collect old vehicles, and keeping them as stock appearing as possible like other classic cars.

Also, I'm not sure how much extra power those engines can take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back