2015 Venza 4cyl question

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

Looks like Toyota has switched to all chains on their newer engines. Great idea. Changing a timing belt is at the outer limit of my comfort range.

the 4 cylinder in the venza is the same as Highlander, Sienna, and Lexus RX.

and to answer your question, it should be a timing chain

Here's what an experienced Toyota mechanic has to say about the timing chains...

"In my 9 years with toyota I've never seen a chain stretch unless the engine overheated excessively. Chains typically are a non maintenance item I would replace the chain if you are taking the front cover for another reason like an oil leak or a vvti gear and even then I would replace it only if the car has over 100,000 miles otherwise it goes right back on."
END QUOTE

I still wonder though if I wouldn't have it replaced when I hit 150k

Quote:

Reflecting back on 10+ years of BITOG, I've seen a lot more toyotas reach 300K than ever suffer from some sort of timing chain issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Reflecting back on 10+ years of BITOG, I've seen a lot more toyotas reach 300K than ever suffer from some sort of timing chain issue.

In 1997, I had a 1994 Toyota p-up with the 22RE motor bought used with 58k miles.

At 66,621 miles, one side of a link on the timing chain broke. Of course...it's an interference engine.

Know it's a fluke, I own 2 Toyota's presently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back