long distance wheel noise diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
my buddy is complaining about a noise from one of the wheels on his car.( I know 3rd, or 4th hand info from non automotive persons based on a sound, across the internet and text msgs can be Iffy at best, but...)
the car, for background:
2003 Pontiac Vibe, north of 175k mi, basically no maintenence other than oil since he bought it in 2010, with 120k mi.
wrecked with a quick slap-dash "that'll do" repair by prior owner.

here's how he describes it:
"Something in the wheel...a constant...sound. I would say 'grinding'...but it's too high pitched. I'm not sure of a proper onomontopoeia to describe it"

thinking a wheel bearing, i asked if it was like a VERY low tire, remembering how my sonata sounded when the bearings went bad

"No...it's a metal on metal kind of sound"
"Like two tiny cymbals being rubbed around on each other."
"I wasn't in percussion, so i have no idea what that's called"

I asked if it was kind of a hollow sound, thinking stuck caliper dragging on the rotor,or a pad dragging on a drum, but haven't gotten a response back.

Sounds like a wheel bearing but it very well could be tires. My aunt's 2013 Beetle sounds like it has bad wheel bearings but the dealer says it's the tires. They're Kumho trash

If you have loose wheel bearings the rotor has room to move around. This can potentially mess up/ wear out your brakes quickly too.

The higher pitched symptom makes me think it's brake related as well. If he hasn't done any work on it for 55k, it's probably worth getting the brakes looked at/replaced anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back