sure wish I could get gas with no ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been weed whacking for the last month on sundays.I'm running trufuel hoping to prevent carb issues. I'm going through a lot of gas! Stuff is expensive @$7 a qt.

I have an oil I really like and would prefer to mix my own but I can't get good gas.

Anybody coming this way want to bring some? LoL

If you are burning that much, ethanol should not be a problem. Its a problem when it sits for a while say longer than 2 months. I'd store it with the trufuel over winter, but save some bucks and mix if your are using it regularly.

You are paying $28 a gallon!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I've been weed whacking for the last month on sundays.I'm running trufuel hoping to prevent carb issues. I'm going through a lot of gas! Stuff is expensive @$7 a qt.

I have an oil I really like and would prefer to mix my own but I can't get good gas.

Anybody coming this way want to bring some? LoL

I am sure bringing something as dangerous as E0 gas into Calif is illegal and carries a life sentence in Alcatraz (by yourself).

It's pretty common here but it costs a good bit more. When you get it right and it goes up you can catch it within $0.05-$0.10 of each other.

Normally tho there's a good $0.30-$0.40 diffrence and while it's not a lot it adds up. I typically just go with the ethanol stuff since I like Ex&Mobil

Mix up a fresh 1/2 gallon. Keep it in the shade. Dump extra in your daily driver. Maybe even tee off the gas line and make it a qt at a time. MMO and Chem Tool are your friends.

And yet I started my Stihl leaf blower today that's been sitting since October with E10/2 stroke oil mix in it. It started on the third pull just like it always does and ran just fine. I blew the leaves out of the ditches and out of the garden. My gallon gas can of 2 stroke fuel mix is empty so the next time I fill my 30 gallon gas can up with E10 I'll mix a gallon, which should last the summer unless I use the chain saw.

I sure am glad I don't have the need to purchase $7/quart gas.

I'm fortunate that I can buy 90 octane E0 at the closest gas station to my home and Trufuel is $5.25 at a mom and pop hardware store in town. What trimmer are you running?

Check with the Apple Valley Airport,
see if the have some lead free AvGas,
and are willing to sell you 5 gallons...

Octane should be around 100,
just make sure it's lead free...

VP Racing fuels, Union 76, Shell, and a few others sometimes sell 100 octane racing fuel, 100 octane...

Not cheap, may be as high as $10 a gallon, but that's at least half the cost of TruFuel...

Just make sure it's unleaded...

Aviation gas has tetraethyl lead in it to boost octane, new fomulas on the way that are lead free...

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I have no issues with E10. Even year old E10.

+1. I've used E 10 in OPE, including my Echo weed wacker, for 15-20 years with never a problem.

chris142, my pull-it paulon 50cc saw sets 3-4weeks and needs carb cleaning. its the only ope that gives me trouble.

Gasohol is good if fresh, get it set two weeks and it goes to junk. My policy is 7day supply tops.

P.S. I have pure gasoline available about 10miles away from home. I run it in the geo metros in the summer, it's the price of premium. The 93 metro XFi gets 52-3mpg on gasohol/upto E50, 55-6mpg on pure gasoline. worth it?, sometimes.

Three stories about e10; the one about how it eats out fuel lines and corrodes all engines, and the one about how it attracts water over time which then separates and plugs your carbs, and the last one about how it chemically deteriorates and become unusable.

All can be true to some extent but we have e5 for a loong time and I have not seen any totally shot engines or very serious problems at all. It actually works quite ok. Still, I use Alkylate (like stihl premix) in small stuff sitting for a long time and pour some Stabil in stuff that will sit shorter times.

Actually, all modern cracked gasolines will deteriorate, e0 or not, ie it will not be as good in 3-6 months as it was in the pump. That's why you need Stabil more now than 50 yrs ago when most gas was cooked.
Water is always a prmblem so keep your cans shut tight and avoid temp variations and heat. Stabil marine can also help a bit.

Truefuel seems horrendously expensive, and Im from Sweden where e5 95 oct is $2 a liter/quart...
Check for bigger cans of stihl premix/nomix or equivalent and see if the price goes down enough to run for the last tank before storage at least. Another plus is that it is less poisonous to you when running the stuff.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I have no issues with E10. Even year old E10.

+1. I've used E 10 in OPE, including my Echo weed wacker, for 15-20 years with never a problem.
I don't have any issues either with old E10 gas.

My lawn mower ran out of gas a couple weeks ago and I refueled it and it wouldn't start, I figured it was old gas that was in the can and dumped it and refueled with fresh and it ran great. Then I realized it wasn't gas in the gas can, I forgot that it was diesel fuel in it LOL. No wonder the mower wouldn't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back