Summer Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this topic has been discussed. But I don't think it has been discussed on the car I drive.

My 2007 IS350 uses 5w30 as an all season oil recommendation. I was thinking since I do a bit of spirited driving on the nicer days, that I should use a 5w40/10w40 based oil during the hotter summer months to withstand the high revving it may be put through. But I don't want to put too thick of an oil into the motor and potentially hurt it considering the higher tolerances these newer motors have nowadays.

My OCI's are 3k with M1 HM with a Toyota filter. The car is just about to hit 100k.

Thanks in advance for the input guys.

I'd say either stick with the 5w-30 your using, or if you really wanted to go up to a thicker oil then I'd suggest M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40. Both are thicker than 30 weights (obviously) but are on the thinner side of 40 weights. They also have a ton of certifications showing that they're a robust oil.

Higher tolerances?
What exactly does that mean?

In my charger I use a 20 grade in the winter and a 0w-40 in the summer because I consistently elevate oil temps in the summer months.
So if you consistently elevate oil temps beyond normal for any significant amount of time you may want to consider a euro 0w-40

Keep the 5w30.

Want to make yourself feel better? Go full syn with something like PP/PU, QSUD, or Mobil 1 EP with a good filter like your using.

Bit of a waste dropping it at 3k, should be good till 5k easily.

Pepper. Why don't you use a Euro A-3 rated oil in a 5w30 grade. It will have a
slightly higher viscosity. Another option is mix 5w30 with a 0/5w40 at 50%.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Higher tolerances?
What exactly does that mean?

In my charger I use a 20 grade in the winter and a 0w-40 in the summer because I consistently elevate oil temps in the summer months.
So if you consistently elevate oil temps beyond normal for any significant amount of time you may want to consider a euro 0w-40

And how does one 'elevate' the temps? ...highway driving high speed in high temps ? High ambient temp summer idling stationary?

Clevy, he used up all the 5w-30 and now his car requires 5w-40 in order for his engine to accept the oil. Maybe on down the road he will need 20w-50 for his engine to even work right. But, of course by then, 5w-30 will be as good as water to that engine.

-OR-

He could've meant tighter tolerances?

Zach for Saint Louis, do you mean LC, liquid cooled, or IC-internal combustion. Both air cooled AND liquid cooled engine will have varied oil temps that go with the seasons, usually, anyway. You are possibly inking of coolant temp, not oiltemp....perhaps?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Clevy, he used up all the 5w-30 and now his car requires 5w-40 in order for his engine to accept the oil. Maybe on down the road he will need 20w-50 for his engine to even work right. But, of course by then, 5w-30 will be as good as water to that engine.

-OR-

He could've meant tighter tolerances?

Zach for Saint Louis, do you mean LC, liquid cooled, or IC-internal combustion. Both air cooled AND liquid cooled engine will have varied oil temps that go with the seasons, usually, anyway. You are possibly inking of coolant temp, not oiltemp....perhaps?
good point, I meant coolant temp, I was under the impression that oil temps were pretty narrow as well.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
IC engines run in a very narrow temp.range regardless of ambient temp.

My L67 can do anything from 100C to 135C on the same commute...all I have to do is hold the tranny in "2" at 100km/h (4,000RPM) for 10 minutes, and 135 is registered on a type K thermocouple dropped down the dipstick hole.

Originally Posted By: Pepper
My 2007 IS350 uses 5w30 as an all season oil recommendation. I was thinking since I do a bit of spirited driving on the nicer days, that I should use a 5w40/10w40 based oil during the hotter summer months to withstand the high revving it may be put through.

I'm sure 5w-30 would be fine as a year round choice, and given your short OCIs and the specific oil choice you've made, you're not going to have any concerns about the oil being too thin. Alternatively, if you want to run a 5w-40, you could do so year round, since 5w-40 is an acceptable winter choice, too.

You're not using M1 HM 5w-30 anywhere near its limits on a 3,000 mile OCI, so you definitely don't have to worry about it thinning out over that period of time, and if I recall correctly, the M1 HM is a bit thicker to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back