Mopar filter substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening - I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3 liter V6. I drive about 4000 miles a year and change the oil once a year with Mobil 1 5 w 30 extended performance and a Mopar filter. My local Walmart is not carrying Mopar any longer. The Walmart carries mostly Fram and Purolator. I quit using Fram 30 years ago after cutting one open and seeing the cardboard end caps. Does Fram or Purolator make a decent filter? If so, what grade or model?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

fram tough guard are very good
i personally use puralotor sometimes but some members here say bad things about them
if you wanted a mopar filter several auto parts stores sell them

The Fram Ultras are top of the line, the "best" filter money can buy with high holding capacity, high efficiency and great specs.

15,000 miles of holding capacity, 99%+ efficient at 20 microns and 80% efficient at 5 microns. Silicone anti drain back valve, super tough paint job, really great filters.

I would go with the Fram Ultra (XG16 for the 3.3L) at Wal-Mart ... great filter for a very reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
they make ultra which looks good but im not sure at all if it flows well the only answer i got is "its good" Not an answer at all. Mopar is purolator anyway why used that one for double the price of the classic which is not many peoples choice for quality these days..Look it up online put in filters that tear.

Tom, it sounds like convenience is most important for you, so rest assured that any filter that fits your car is fine, go with whatever is cheapest, the efficiency ratings are all pretty close, and your car will never know the difference. Just make sure it's the right application for your car.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they make ultra which looks good but im not sure at all if it flows well the only answer i got is "its good" Not an answer at all.

I've linked about 3 times now to the thread and discussion with Motorking that gave flow numbers. Believe me, the Ultra flows better than any cellulose oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Just use a Motorcraft
You will be happy and you can get them at WM for 4 bucks

My son is using the MC FL 400 on his V6 Dodge truck. Works well.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Just use a Motorcraft
You will be happy and you can get them at WM for 4 bucks

Bingo! My suggestion as well, internally virtually identical to Mopar (same manufacturer) except with many Motorcrafts you get the addition of a silicone ADBV and you save about 3 bucks in the process.

Motorcrafts cross over to Chrysler products nicely, running a Motorcraft FL-400s on my Jeep right now.

You may be able to order online and they will send it to the store near you. I just ordered a jug of Pennzoil and some rice. not used together. The mopar filter has some unique features I believe. But then there is the Fram Ultra. I have a Denso first time fit waiting to be put in my 3.8 Chrysler T%C after a Mobil 1 in there now goes. They don't seem fussy on filters to me.

they make ultra which looks good but im not sure at all if it flows well the only answer i got is "its good" Not an answer at all. Mopar is purolator anyway why used that one for double the price of the classic which is not many peoples choice for quality these days..Look it up online put in filters that tear.

So, if an oil filter was too restrictive, would (a) oil pressure rise or (b) oil pressure fall, or c?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

So, if an oil filter was too restrictive, would (a) oil pressure rise or (b) oil pressure fall, or c?

C)... which could be one or the other, or both below assuming an engine has a positive displacement oil pump:

C1) Oil pressure would be the same, but the filter's bypass would open and allow unfiltered oil to the engine.

C2) Oil pressure would stay the same, but as the oil pressure rose due to RPM it would flatten out at a constant oil pressure sooner due to the pump's pressure relief valve opening.

The filter's bypass valve and the pump's pressure relief valve operate independently ... but as an oil filter gets more restrictive it can effect each one independently as described above.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Good Evening - I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.3 liter V6. I drive about 4000 miles a year and change the oil once a year with Mobil 1 5 w 30 extended performance and a Mopar filter. My local Walmart is not carrying Mopar any longer. The Walmart carries mostly Fram and Purolator. I quit using Fram 30 years ago after cutting one open and seeing the cardboard end caps. Does Fram or Purolator make a decent filter? If so, what grade or model?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I used a Motorcraft FL1-A on my 2000 GC. Used M1 5W-30 and changed it once a year, ~8-9K miles. Passed it on to my son last year with 153k on it.

Wayne

i did not see that i would like to see the xg2 flow rate but if fram cant provide that this will be my last fram ever.
Why are you so hung up on that aspect? Your thought process is not logical--you know that synthetic media outflows paper/cellulose so what is the deal?

Hang in there crazyoildude, FRAM is clearly hiding something.
smile.gif

For the OP, I'd recommend heading down to NAPA and picking up a NAPA Gold filter for your vehicle.

They are well made and offer high filter efficiency.

If you want to save some cash, a NAPA Silver may be just the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back