Nothing changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end, these were most likely were one owner autos that were gonna last forever, right? Reality says different..

There were some really nice rides here in their day

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Is amazing to see how poorly a lot of those large cars were in an accident!
I noticed that, they just folded up even with all that heavy gauge metal.

From the number of telephone poles and trees hit dead centre, and the number of cars in houses and ditches, I'd say there were just as many drunk or stupid drivers back then as there are today.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
From the number of telephone poles and trees hit dead centre, and the number of cars in houses and ditches, I'd say there were just as many drunk or stupid drivers back then as there are today.

I bet you are right. And they were not fiddling with phones back then.

No seat belts, no shoulder harness, no airbags, no or minimal safety glass, no reinforced door beams, no interior design consideration for occupant safety......

I noticed a few tarps over the passenger compartment in these images, indicating a DOA still pinned in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
No seat belts, no shoulder harness, no airbags, no or minimal safety glass, no reinforced door beams, no interior design consideration for occupant safety......

I noticed a few tarps over the passenger compartment in these images, indicating a DOA still pinned in the vehicle.

Exactly what I was thinking. Yes there are still accidents. But with more people wearing seat belts, and advancements in safety technology, fewer people are being severely injured, and more people are probably walking away hopefully having learned a lesson.

Man there are some beautiful cars in that video.

I've been saying this for years. Bad drivers are the problem, not phones and other distractions.

Originally Posted By: whip
[
I've been saying this for years. Bad drivers are the problem, not phones and other distractions.

The ones fiddling with the phones are the bad drivers today.

I've been involved in various historical research projects over the years-much involves searching/reading old newspapers. In the past, there were many fairly low speed accidents that resulted in severe injuries and death. One thing that stands out is newspapers had photogs as 'stringers' that would monitor police frequencies and charge out and take photos for publication-especially in the 30's. So pics of bloody corpses were there for the reader to see. I doubt it had any more influence than those shown in my youth as part of the Driver's Trainning Program attempt to use some 'shock value' to us know-it-all kids.

Steel types have made a big difference in the way vehicles behave in a wreck. There is such a wide range of steel and the properties. In some areas of the vehicle you want high strength and other areas you want it to absorb energy to prevent injury. This is where the design engineers have to understand the physics involved in a wreck and how the steel behaves.

I certainly am not promoting the alternative (death) but it sure seems that these advances have produced great profit to some degree in terms of the 15mph and under incidents. In other words today's cars are just about totaled in situations here the occupant safety isn't impacted greatly by the vehicles tendency to fold up. I think consumer reports or some crash folks have been citing this for a few years now. Call it a "suspiciously costly" low mph incident trend in design.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I certainly am not promoting the alternative (death) but it sure seems that these advances have produced great profit to some degree in terms of the 15mph and under incidents. In other words today's cars are just about totaled in situations here the occupant safety isn't impacted greatly by the vehicles tendency to fold up. I think consumer reports or some crash folks have been citing this for a few years now. Call it a "suspiciously costly" low mph incident trend in design.

I guess I would disagree. Yes cars sustain a lot of damage in low speed crashes. But you can't have it both ways. If they would compromise here there would be mega lawsuits for faullty design and their vehicles would flunk the small overlap crash and thestandard crash test. If someone could do it it would be done. Subaru has led the field in this area and they are not part of a conspiracy theory. Its their passioin...has been for 40+ years.

Last edited:
We had an interesting discussion before work the other day. Well, we have a lot of interesting discussions before work, but that's another story (it's a time in the day I value).

Anyway, this was about car safety. The one guy is a younger fellow so he didn't see a lot of these developments. I mentioned about how the first generation Corvairs had a solid steering shaft. They wouldn't "give" in accident, and if the accident was severe enough the steering wheel would actually be pushed toward the driver. The second generation Corvair, introduced in the mid-'60s featured a collapsible steering wheel. I remember looking at them and noting the slip joint in the shaft and the perforated tube supporting the steering wheel assembly.

In the late '70s I had a '68 International Harvester Scout. What a piece of work that was, but I was young and I enjoyed it. It had two gas tanks. They were located behind the driver / passenger and in front of the rear wheels. There was only two thin layers of sheet metal between all that gasoline and the outside world. If I ever got T-boned in that truck it could have been nasty. Back in that day it also wasn't unusual to have a gas tank located behind the rear axle with the fill behind the license plate. The younger fellow did have a car like that in his past. Nowadays they usually locate the gas tank just in front of the rear axle and well under the car, safer from accident damage.

I'll often reflect how other people in the past have paid dearly for these and other lessons. And how in many ways our lives are made safer as a consequence.

Vehicle manufacturers were very reluctant to mention anything about safety in their advertising. I believe Ford lost sales of their 56, maybe 57 models because Ford said they were designed with safety in mind and went on to elaborate on the new safety features. A man I knew at work removed the safety belts from a new 58 something vehicle and gave them to me. I had the only 54 Ford in the state of New Mexico with lap belts. They were even the right color. My dates thought I was a little strange when I told them they could put the seat belt on. I guess I was more than a little dorky in those years.

Originally Posted By: whip

Yeah, there was always road rage, heated arguments between the driver and passengers, and speed freaks.

The only hazard there is less of is drivers lighting cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back