Status
Not open for further replies.
which jack or jack stands are the best?
meijer=pro lift
walmart =black jack
oreillyauto=ac delco
autozone=duralast
etc
The list goes on. Which is the best and why?
The walmart brand is the cheapest at only 18.88
Is there a reason why? Is it worse? I have ac delco which i bought fron oreillyauto when it was on sale. Is ac delco good and hows pro lift from meijer and can you mix brands for the jack stands or should you use the same brand for jack stands?

Whats your budget a full size jack is more stable than those hokey "trolley jack" they sell for 30$
f6210aa2-e634-44ea-8977-9f3ed4ae78c9_400.jpg

This 99$ Michelin jack at sam's club is pretty nice.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/3-ton-low-profile-ja/prod13240191.ip?navAction=

Last edited:
Last year I snagged my gear from Harbor Freight. The Pittsburgh 1.5 ton, which four wheeler magazine called "the undisputed king of the garage." Regularly sells for $119 and the last I saw was on sale for $69. Matching Pittsburgh jack stands are on sale for $19.99. Have used them both for my Acura, Honda and Silverado many times and functional well.

Last year my dad bought a Arcan 2.5 ton one at Costco. Really makes me regret using a slightly cheaper trolley type for years when the budget did not dictate it. Those style jacks make work much more enjoyable. Nearly identical to the 3t HF model mentioned above.

This style jack is pretty handy and easy to use and sold many places:

http://t.harborfreight.com/3-ton-heavy-duty-jack-stands-38846.html

Last edited:
Large low profile 2 ton jack orange color from harbor freight. Had it for over 10 years. Used it on my corvette, s10 and now my Silverado. Still in use. I have some know name 2 ton jack stands a that are good too, just can't remember where I got them.

Keep in mind that most cars and light trucks can be lifted with a 1 1/2 or 2 ton floor jack. The 3 ton is overkill. Fine if its just going to be pulled around on garage floor. But the 3 ton will be heavier than a 2 ton. I sometimes bring a jack outside and light up a vehicle in my drive with the jack on 2x8s. I would not want to carry my 3 ton jack outside. Too heavy. I would look at Sears for a 1 1/2 ton. I have a Sears 1 1/2 ton and use it for everything but my Bobcat.

One nice thing about the bigger 3 ton service jacks is you get a longer handle and more lift per throw. I also like not pulling the handle to open the valve at another spot on the jack... just twist it anti-clockwise.

Where have they been all my life? Tell you where, they were $200 and too pricey, the world economy just got them in reach of many semi advanced hobbyists.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Last year I snagged my gear from Harbor Freight. The Pittsburgh 1.5 ton, which four wheeler magazine called "the undisputed king of the garage." Regularly sells for $119 and the last I saw was on sale for $69. Matching Pittsburgh jack stands are on sale for $19.99. Have used them both for my Acura, Honda and Silverado many times and functional well.

^^^THIS^^^ I own 2 big jacks, Both Harbor Freight, The 1.5 and the 3 ton.. Both work flawless.. "Mixing jack stands" ? yes its ok to you multiple brands of jack stands, just make sure your not using a jack stand that rated to hold less weight than what your trying to hold up.. I like to safely double the holding capacity of my jack stands, I buy 3 to 5 ton stands.. I have had those el cheapo combo jack/stand bend when I put weight on them... lesson learned, you don't want that to happen when your under the car.. If your stand fails, your going to have a bad day.. or maybe even a last day.. Just don't go cheap...

i see. i have the AC deco right now, i just want to know how it compares to "pro lift" and "duralast" or if they're similar in quality (i have the 2 ton jack and jack stands kit, it's cheaper as a kit) and i was thinking of buying the cheap walmart black jack brand jack but want to hear more about it (is it good or will it fail?)

I'd rather avoid something that is going to fail and break stuff--defeats the purpose of the equipment. My '03 Accent weighs 1023 kg (less than 2T). I don't want to go lower than a 2722 kg (3T) jack stand; the idea is to not push the jack stand anywhere near where the welds or locking pin will fail.
I would go with jackpoint, but they're outside of my budget. If I had a $15,000 car, they would be worth it.
They do set the standard for the shape of the seats-- wide flat discs with a half-inch notch in the middle, wide lower plate; the plates are made to be raised by a pneumatic jack and then supported by the stands. Most jack stands don't take that shape; they're cupped with raised curved edges on the outside. I'm still researching the jack points for the LC Accent; right now it appears that the jack stand points are all flat (not really a good thing; a vertical double metal piece has a one dimensional linear axis to move along if it's going to slip; with flat box frame pieces, potential slips could go any direction along the flat two-dimensional axis). I've got a thread on hyundai-forums asking about specific points.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/lc-2000-20...tml#post3232321
(there's one other point close to the bumper behind the wheel well that isn't highlighted--it's double metal, appears to be subframe, and doesn't have a bolt; I'd rather use that area than the subframe closer to the lateral center to reduce roll).
Doesn't look like I have much of a choice with picking vertical rail subframe pieces; it's not the same as the 3rd gen Accents, unfortunately.
I'm looking for quality over price. My two top picks are Wilmar and Pittsburgh (probably Wilmar as the top contender). Country of manufacture is not a deciding factor for me (e.g. a Switzerland jack stand isn't automatically superior to a Liechtenstein jack stand). I'm looking for build and design quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W41022-Ton-...463&sr=1-22
http://www.amazon.com/New-Set-Jack-Stand...urgh+jack+stand
Doesn't look like I have much of a choice with jack stand seats, either--entry level jacks have curved seats with lipped edges. I'd rather pick one closer to jackpoint's large surface area plates, but it doesn't have to be exclusive.

I think I'd prefer these jack stands if I could afford them: they place the entire vehicle about a meter off the ground, and support it with lateral cross bars. It looks like they connect in the middle, and are raised from that connection point with a pneumatic jack. No worries about balance or damaging the frame.
https://youtu.be/IaNrSm2ROu0?t=5m8s
Anyone know if these are commercially available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back