Does the average builder blueprint engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a book on engine blueprinting - I wish I still had it.

frown.gif

I've been thinking about rebuilding my motor and I'm wondering if anyone, or I guess I should say the "average Joe", blueprints their motor these days? You know, have the rods balanced, the crankshaft balanced, cc the combustion chambers, etc., etc., etc.???

Also, what specific things are worth doing for the average rebuild? I would think that having all of the reciprocating parts balanced might be a smart thing to do?

Finally, are there any good web (or book) resources on the topic of blueprinting?

Comments? Suggestions?

smile.gif

Ed

Blue printing an engine is an overused term!

I bet point one of one % will, could, Blue print an engine.

It probably depends on the car, the engine, and the intended use. For a race/competitive car that has to follow class-specific rules, it might make sense to spend the time/funds to have that done. Or for a canyon-carving toy car that spends a lot of time on boil. It likely doesn't make any sense for a daily driver that won't use any of the extra power freed up.

I imagine that most techs know how to pull an engine, and put a new long/short block back in with everything mounted back like it should be.
That being said, I've seen tech's mess this up, and after everything was assembled they couldn't get it started...more than once.
I've also seen engine fires from the first start up knock out the car's electrical systems completely.
Working in a shop can be... entertaining.

True honest to goodness "blueprinting" is something you only see in professional cars, and those who throw money at such things.
Otherwise you have someone who know's to scrape the junk from the bottom of the pan before they bolt it back onto the beater. The vast VAST majority of folks who turn wrenches are not engineers.

What engine do you plan to work on?
What do you intend to do with it?

In some cases, if you are going to race your car, you might be limited to the modifications that you are allowed to make.
Otherwise, depending on the engine, there may be known faults that you can correct, or power enhancing mods that you may want it do.

Look to the Internet ahand find the options for your specific engine.

If by blueprint you mean determine the optimum dimension, surface finish and then make the engine as close to the ideal within the rules for a given class. The answer is yes, good builders will do exactly that. A Nascar engine is as precision made as possible.
So are most classes of race engines.

Blueprinting is just overkill on a Daily Driver. A good engine builder is going to ballance the engine by weighing each side of the con-rods, pistons, and crankshaft throws. He is not going to cc the chambers, or throw a degree wheel on the engine. If the car is high end performance, like STI or Carrera, he might.

Comically the 80's 302HO had a fully balanced rotating assembly from the factory right down to the pistons all being ground to weigh the same. Rods were all numbered and ground...etc. Was pretty impressive to find the first time I tore into one.

OVERKILL - I can see why you'd want all the connecting rods weighing the same, but why are they numbered? Are they numbered to coincide with a specific crankshaft counterweight?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OVERKILL - I can see why you'd want all the connecting rods weighing the same, but why are they numbered? Are they numbered to coincide with a specific crankshaft counterweight?

The caps and rods are numbered so you can keep them together. 5 rod goes with 5 cap for example. Make sense?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The caps and rods are numbered so you can keep them together. 5 rod goes with 5 cap for example. Make sense?

Yes, makes sense. I forgot about the rod caps.
smile.gif

Hi all,

Let me give you a brief primer in layman’s English here on what “balancing and blueprinting” is, what it delivers and a quick run-down of the process. Mainly because when I train people at plants in vibration analysis and balancing this subject almost always comes up because we like playing with our engines here in the South.

It is also made known through these discussions on breaks that apparently a lot of people sell “balancing and blueprinting” parts and services that are either completely wrong ( even fraudulent) deliberately or innocently leading people to think or believe they want or need something they don’t. There must be a lot of money in selling this “stuff”. I get the impression from these conversations that there must be some kind of “air of secrecy” in the engine world about this and if I believe what the guys discuss with us is that most people in the “B&B” business for engines don’t have a clue as to what they are talking about or doing much less have the equipment to do it even if they do know how.

The truth is that this is a very well-known and understood science practiced thousands of times every day on all types of equipment globally and every ASNT Level-II Vibration Analyst can tell you the exact same thing I am. There is no difference between balancing a turbine, fan, tire or car engine. The goal and the process is the same.

Just like any other firm in our business, we globally do vibration/ balancing on any rotating mass there is to the G1 standard and then certify it. We also train/certify individuals in the same. Granted we have never done a car but that’s because nobody ever asked us to but give us a PO and we will be on it this week.

Anyway, at least anyone reading this can make an informed and intelligent choice as to whether they want to do this or not based on whatever benefit they are after weighed against the effort and cost.

We have a saying in the vibe world: “If it’s shaking- it’s breaking”. Thus is the need for balancing.

* This short primer is done in layman’s English for the average reader who wants a fundamental introduction to the technology, not a “how to” guide so a lot of technical accuracy will be sacrificed and a lot left out for the sake of readability so any vibe guys out there please don’t sharp shoot me. This is at best a skeleton outline.

What is balancing?
In the most basal definition balancing is defined as the center of mass and the center of geometry rotating at the same center in all planes and ranges. “Perfect” balance is impossible in this universe so we get as close to the mathematic value as possible. Also, balancing is tied directly to a desired RPM (cycles per second) and load so a given rotor may have to have a ramp up and/or ramp down to normalize. There is no such thing as a universal balance that works in all loads and speeds.

What is blueprinting?
This term is unique to the automotive industry because as a rule engines do not ( in their standard design) consider balancing a major factor so there is no up-front “blueprint” that lists critical tolerances, standards, finishes, alignment tolerances other than the standard builders print stuff. In industry (for machines and components requiring balancing as a part of the lifecycle) the “blueprinting” is done during the FEED (Front End Engineering and Design) and certified in the FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing) and comes with the equipment from the OEM. (In cases where it’s a unique situation we have to build our own to match actual usage conditions but the process is the same). So, in the case of engines the “blueprint” will be the final result of all the work put into the engine and serve as the guide for any future work.

What does balancing actually do? (Assuming a machine is not so far out of balance that it is shaking itself apart at start up)

We have the first and second laws. Balancing does not “add” anything related to additional performance or in any way make a machine better, stronger, faster etc. et al. If the capability is not built into it- balancing will not make it happen. What balancing will do (at a given load and RPM) reduce internal stressors which in turn reduce heat, reduce component stress, reduce misalignment, reduce wear (and the list goes on) allowing the maximum potential to be utilized at that given load/RPM and as a result will increase overall lifecycle usage. This is where it gets fuzzy because these benefits are percentages of the defined parameters for a given machine already known (not something new or stand-alone) so it may be difficult to draw a line where the benefit of “precision balancing” begins relative to the performance already experienced. Then you need to decide if you want to focus on performance, reliability, longevity, cost of ownership or whatever because there is no “one size fits all” measurement.

Basic Considerations of Balancing
Balancing is the working relationship between 4 major inputs relative to that center of mass and geometry.

Mass- The mass of each body (part) in motion relative to the internal and external stresses which will act upon it.

Rigidity- The resistance to react to forces ( bending or flexing) and normalize relative to the RPM and load in terms of elastic and plastic displacement

Geometry- The true centerline axis that everything is orbiting and how well that orbit is maintained in all degrees of freedom

Influences- Accounting in the above for things such as thermal growth, internal densities, forces and so forth (can be a very long list depending on what is being balanced) Basically anything that can affect the 3 above so they can be factored into the equation.

Basic Tenets of Balancing
There are basically 4 steps to the balancing operation which must be assessed before you can even begin.

Housing- The housing (block) and any supporting whatever must be of sufficient mass, proper metallurgy and normalized (heat and cold treatments as required) to withstand about 5 times the expected operational loads and temperatures. This is the baseline anchor point to which all things are indexed so if this is in any way inadequate then simply stop because all further efforts are futile.

Static Trueness ( parts)- Every single part involved starting at the shaft ( crank and cam in an engine) to the end of the given train MUST be precision machined and ground to be absolutely true in all dimensions to its sister parts.

Static Weight (parts)- this is important (emphasis on the word static) but not as critical as most people think but you have to start out with all like components weighing ( both in total weight and geometric weight relative to stress centers) as possible. Many people mistakenly believe this is “balancing” but that is not even close to being true. It might be better stated that this is the best possible starting line for the balancing operation. Reason being, a static balance is all well and good but a static machine is not spinning and under load (which is where everything matters) and all those forces will affect everything (often randomly) and no known modeling technique can find or anticipate all the variables. A “bi-lateral” physical weight balance from centerline has little bearing to a normalized body under influence because you are going to have to add or remove additional weight anyway during the balancing operation.

Dynamic Forces- You need to calculate (WAG, SWAG or Engineering Equation) all expected forces in all planes to be encountered. (Knowing good and well that all you will ever get is in the ball park- thus the need for the final field balance anyway)

Basic Steps to correct fundamental factors in the Balancing Process ( what one needs to pay attention to and get done- in industry this is all done at the FEED but if you don’t have it or know it, you need to check and do it)

Castings- Must be in true plane, all shaft axes centerlined to less than .0005” overall concentricity, Treated and normalized to remove heat affected zones, machining stresses and so forth and secondary machining ( adding or removing mass) as required to meet the requirements of whatever stress you calculated so the casting can maintain all those critical tolerances and alignments.

Machining- Grinding (dimensioning) ALL RELATIVE TO THOSE AXIS CENTERLINES [ example- the heads cannot just be true and flat, they MUST be true and flat relative to the crank centerline], polishing (finish for movement and lubricity) hardening/tempering/normalizing (stress removal) and then matching all those precision components to the individual orbit train and their place along the shaft and block. (This is why everything is numbered)

Precision Assembly- Dialing in components, pinning, precision alignment, dimensional torqueing (tension and dimension) and so forth

Now the actual balancing

Now the engine is on the balancing bed (can’t use a stand for this because the average rebuild stand will act like a tuning fork- you need a bed with 5 or better times the entire mass of the engine)

Laaadies and gentlemen…..
Index your shaft, calculate your journal and lobe frequencies and get the stobes and accelerometers and start youuuuuuuur balancing……………

1) Engine turning at RPM (an electric motor itself balanced doing the turning so you don’t get much transient vibration) measure each journal and lobe and review the plots

2) For each one based on the spectral data- add/remove gram weight as required to smooth them and bring them in specification

3) Spin and confirm (tweak as necessary)

4) Button it up; throw it in the car and drive.

Summary
That’s balancing in a nutshell. There’s a lot of engineering and math required and a good amount of highly specialized equipment required.

Personally, unless the engine is going to be used in an application like aviation (crashes are deadly), combat or racing (for profit), I don’t believe balancing benefits outweigh the investment for the average car owner but that’s just one person’s opinion and worth just that.

It also makes for a good project so have at it if you want to experiment.

Few end points
Don’t worry about buying all these “balanced parts” and paying extra because if the entire train is balanced (and machined/normalized to maintain that balance during operation) you just wasted your money.

Rebuilds- If a shop does not have the equipment, metrology and precision machining capability (and a certified treatment facility under contract) then they ain’t balancing to begin with regardless of what reputation or song they sing.

Static parts weighing is just that- that’s not even close to dynamic balancing and all but meaningless during operation. (I say all but because there is a positive benefit- just that it’s negligible unless you go all the way)

Now maybe people realize why these high end engines cost so much- there’s a lot of science involved.

Anyway, I hope that helps you guys understand a little more about the concept of balancing and what it entails.

Originally Posted By: ISO55000
Hi all,

Let me give you a brief primer in layman’s English here on what “balancing and blueprinting” is, what it delivers and a quick run-down of the process. Mainly because when I train people at plants in vibration analysis and balancing this subject almost always comes up because we like playing with our engines here in the South.

It is also made known through these discussions on breaks that apparently a lot of people sell “balancing and blueprinting” parts and services that are either completely wrong ( even fraudulent) deliberately or innocently leading people to think or believe they want or need something they don’t. There must be a lot of money in selling this “stuff”. I get the impression from these conversations that there must be some kind of “air of secrecy” in the engine world about this and if I believe what the guys discuss with us is that most people in the “B&B” business for engines don’t have a clue as to what they are talking about or doing much less have the equipment to do it even if they do know how.

The truth is that this is a very well-known and understood science practiced thousands of times every day on all types of equipment globally and every ASNT Level-II Vibration Analyst can tell you the exact same thing I am. There is no difference between balancing a turbine, fan, tire or car engine. The goal and the process is the same.

Just like any other firm in our business, we globally do vibration/ balancing on any rotating mass there is to the G1 standard and then certify it. We also train/certify individuals in the same. Granted we have never done a car but that’s because nobody ever asked us to but give us a PO and we will be on it this week.

Anyway, at least anyone reading this can make an informed and intelligent choice as to whether they want to do this or not based on whatever benefit they are after weighed against the effort and cost.

We have a saying in the vibe world: “If it’s shaking- it’s breaking”. Thus is the need for balancing.

* This short primer is done in layman’s English for the average reader who wants a fundamental introduction to the technology, not a “how to” guide so a lot of technical accuracy will be sacrificed and a lot left out for the sake of readability so any vibe guys out there please don’t sharp shoot me. This is at best a skeleton outline.

What is balancing?
In the most basal definition balancing is defined as the center of mass and the center of geometry rotating at the same center in all planes and ranges. “Perfect” balance is impossible in this universe so we get as close to the mathematic value as possible. Also, balancing is tied directly to a desired RPM (cycles per second) and load so a given rotor may have to have a ramp up and/or ramp down to normalize. There is no such thing as a universal balance that works in all loads and speeds.

What is blueprinting?
This term is unique to the automotive industry because as a rule engines do not ( in their standard design) consider balancing a major factor so there is no up-front “blueprint” that lists critical tolerances, standards, finishes, alignment tolerances other than the standard builders print stuff. In industry (for machines and components requiring balancing as a part of the lifecycle) the “blueprinting” is done during the FEED (Front End Engineering and Design) and certified in the FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing) and comes with the equipment from the OEM. (In cases where it’s a unique situation we have to build our own to match actual usage conditions but the process is the same). So, in the case of engines the “blueprint” will be the final result of all the work put into the engine and serve as the guide for any future work.

What does balancing actually do? (Assuming a machine is not so far out of balance that it is shaking itself apart at start up)

We have the first and second laws. Balancing does not “add” anything related to additional performance or in any way make a machine better, stronger, faster etc. et al. If the capability is not built into it- balancing will not make it happen. What balancing will do (at a given load and RPM) reduce internal stressors which in turn reduce heat, reduce component stress, reduce misalignment, reduce wear (and the list goes on) allowing the maximum potential to be utilized at that given load/RPM and as a result will increase overall lifecycle usage. This is where it gets fuzzy because these benefits are percentages of the defined parameters for a given machine already known (not something new or stand-alone) so it may be difficult to draw a line where the benefit of “precision balancing” begins relative to the performance already experienced. Then you need to decide if you want to focus on performance, reliability, longevity, cost of ownership or whatever because there is no “one size fits all” measurement.

Basic Considerations of Balancing
Balancing is the working relationship between 4 major inputs relative to that center of mass and geometry.

Mass- The mass of each body (part) in motion relative to the internal and external stresses which will act upon it.

Rigidity- The resistance to react to forces ( bending or flexing) and normalize relative to the RPM and load in terms of elastic and plastic displacement

Geometry- The true centerline axis that everything is orbiting and how well that orbit is maintained in all degrees of freedom

Influences- Accounting in the above for things such as thermal growth, internal densities, forces and so forth (can be a very long list depending on what is being balanced) Basically anything that can affect the 3 above so they can be factored into the equation.

Basic Tenets of Balancing
There are basically 4 steps to the balancing operation which must be assessed before you can even begin.

Housing- The housing (block) and any supporting whatever must be of sufficient mass, proper metallurgy and normalized (heat and cold treatments as required) to withstand about 5 times the expected operational loads and temperatures. This is the baseline anchor point to which all things are indexed so if this is in any way inadequate then simply stop because all further efforts are futile.

Static Trueness ( parts)- Every single part involved starting at the shaft ( crank and cam in an engine) to the end of the given train MUST be precision machined and ground to be absolutely true in all dimensions to its sister parts.

Static Weight (parts)- this is important (emphasis on the word static) but not as critical as most people think but you have to start out with all like components weighing ( both in total weight and geometric weight relative to stress centers) as possible. Many people mistakenly believe this is “balancing” but that is not even close to being true. It might be better stated that this is the best possible starting line for the balancing operation. Reason being, a static balance is all well and good but a static machine is not spinning and under load (which is where everything matters) and all those forces will affect everything (often randomly) and no known modeling technique can find or anticipate all the variables. A “bi-lateral” physical weight balance from centerline has little bearing to a normalized body under influence because you are going to have to add or remove additional weight anyway during the balancing operation.

Dynamic Forces- You need to calculate (WAG, SWAG or Engineering Equation) all expected forces in all planes to be encountered. (Knowing good and well that all you will ever get is in the ball park- thus the need for the final field balance anyway)

Basic Steps to correct fundamental factors in the Balancing Process ( what one needs to pay attention to and get done- in industry this is all done at the FEED but if you don’t have it or know it, you need to check and do it)

Castings- Must be in true plane, all shaft axes centerlined to less than .0005” overall concentricity, Treated and normalized to remove heat affected zones, machining stresses and so forth and secondary machining ( adding or removing mass) as required to meet the requirements of whatever stress you calculated so the casting can maintain all those critical tolerances and alignments.

Machining- Grinding (dimensioning) ALL RELATIVE TO THOSE AXIS CENTERLINES [ example- the heads cannot just be true and flat, they MUST be true and flat relative to the crank centerline], polishing (finish for movement and lubricity) hardening/tempering/normalizing (stress removal) and then matching all those precision components to the individual orbit train and their place along the shaft and block. (This is why everything is numbered)

Precision Assembly- Dialing in components, pinning, precision alignment, dimensional torqueing (tension and dimension) and so forth

Now the actual balancing

Now the engine is on the balancing bed (can’t use a stand for this because the average rebuild stand will act like a tuning fork- you need a bed with 5 or better times the entire mass of the engine)

Laaadies and gentlemen…..
Index your shaft, calculate your journal and lobe frequencies and get the stobes and accelerometers and start youuuuuuuur balancing……………

1) Engine turning at RPM (an electric motor itself balanced doing the turning so you don’t get much transient vibration) measure each journal and lobe and review the plots

2) For each one based on the spectral data- add/remove gram weight as required to smooth them and bring them in specification

3) Spin and confirm (tweak as necessary)

4) Button it up; throw it in the car and drive.

Summary
That’s balancing in a nutshell. There’s a lot of engineering and math required and a good amount of highly specialized equipment required.

Personally, unless the engine is going to be used in an application like aviation (crashes are deadly), combat or racing (for profit), I don’t believe balancing benefits outweigh the investment for the average car owner but that’s just one person’s opinion and worth just that.

It also makes for a good project so have at it if you want to experiment.

Few end points
Don’t worry about buying all these “balanced parts” and paying extra because if the entire train is balanced (and machined/normalized to maintain that balance during operation) you just wasted your money.

Rebuilds- If a shop does not have the equipment, metrology and precision machining capability (and a certified treatment facility under contract) then they ain’t balancing to begin with regardless of what reputation or song they sing.

Static parts weighing is just that- that’s not even close to dynamic balancing and all but meaningless during operation. (I say all but because there is a positive benefit- just that it’s negligible unless you go all the way)

Now maybe people realize why these high end engines cost so much- there’s a lot of science involved.

Anyway, I hope that helps you guys understand a little more about the concept of balancing and what it entails.

Outstanding!!! Thank you for your post!!!

smile.gif

Ed

Very welcome,

One point I guess I do need to make. I deliberately steered clear of all things “engine tuning” relative to what is commonly known as “engine balance” because of the number of variables and considerations (and post length plus my post was for general awareness, not a step by step guide) but I suppose it deserves a mention because there are a few considerations in an IC engine we don’t typically see in most industrial equipment and they do require some different steps and considerations.

One thing an IC engine has that is rare in heavy equipment is journaled eccentric shafts. (For the purpose of this a cam lobe would be considered a journal because of in terms of hanging mass pulling against the centerline under movement- the physics are pretty much the same). Most industrial shafting doesn’t have this but shakers, vibrators, grinders, pulverizers, hammer mills, some reciprocating compressors/pumps and the like do but the effects are all the same.

Most cranks are cast and none have a true centerline. (They are a long metal squiggly) This creates an additional problem in terms of oscillations and frequencies. (WELL BEYOND the scope of this post) You now have torsional flex (which can be a few degrees per journal in a twisting motion) and impact flexes tangents from “hammering” (when each journal is at top and bottom DC)

Those 2 combined with additional factors (component torque and overhung loading) from the timing end and resistive forces from the PTO end create a “harmonics nightmare”.

Basically you end up with a squiggly piece of metal getting pulled and slung in several degrees of freedom all in the same moment so it’s trying to fly south for the winter like a break dancer on crack with the only thing keeping it from self-destructing is the ability to bring those forces into order to where a force acts against an equal opposing force and hopefully attenuate the rest to the end of the shaft to infinity. (Thus a harmonic balancer) That crank is GOING to twist and flex- all you can do is either do some oversize machining (custom crank), best H/C treatment or add truss bearing support (as possible) to try to minimize it. You then deal with what’s left and there is no easy or “one size fits all” solution or technique.

This is why earlier I stressed in the first post the absolute criticality about all parts and the housing (block) having the same weight AND dimension and being normalized. In the “perfect” world you want all parts to “breathe” equally. In “reality” you get as close as possible. That’s the start of your balancing operation- not the end of it because no amount of balancing will overcome radical differences in hard forces imparted due to size/length differentials.

Given that the above is inherent in the design and function of a journaled shaft and none of the effects and forces can be eliminated (brought to a zero effect state) you will have to change the lines on the accelerometer and use filters, various bands, pass freqs etc. (depending on the number of journals, cams and so forth) and get into the sub band harmonics and those balances as well to bring them as close to a good wave as is possible.

There are a lot of things involved with doing this right and a lot of education and equipment required but there is no mystery or trade secret to it. There certainly is no magic to it and it’s not going to give you anything that was not there to begin with.

Lastly I doubt 98% of the builders who even “claim” to do this actually can. (Some might be lying but I would suspect most truly believe they are based on incorrect or incomplete knowledge)

It only takes a few glances to see if the shop has the equipment and training (look for vibration and balancing certifications) to do it in the first place.

I just believe that having facts and data make for an informed choice.

Since our third generation machinist makes most of his money re-doing work from other shops I would say the average builder does not do much in the way of blueprinting. All that means is specifically measuring everything and setting it to precise tolerances. Each machinist has his own ideas about clearances, etc., and may tweak the mfgr specs to his liking.

Balancing is another story. I own two professionally balanced engines and they are both notable for a very refined "FEEL" to them, smooth and amazingly mechanically quiet. Definitely something I do to anything that is a "keeper"....

I've never had much done in the way of balancing and blueprinting - the Chevy small blocks were rebuilt by us as needed, and very little machining was necessary. I suppose if I was worried about getting a quality balancing and blueprinting job, I'd consider a builder who does a lot of race engines, particularly for himself. We do have one or two like that here.

Blueprinting means different things to different people.

True "blueprinting" is having every spec recorded on a build sheet. Every main/journal, rod/journal diameter, every bearing clearance, piston bore clearance, ring gap, deck height, rod weight (big and small end), piston weight, chamber/piston dome CC, valve spring pressures and the list goes on. Gets pretty detailed. I think it is done to protect the builder from liability as to keep an anal retentive race outfit happy.

Balancing can be a bit of a dark art at times. There are different ways to balance the same engine depending on the desired outcome. Sometimes the best you can do is pick which plane the engine vibrates on. It is not always possible to get a "perfect" balance on most engine configurations. I know some V8 sprint engines are underbalanced due to considerations for reduced weight/inertia crankshafts/rotating assemblies. If you want a true torsional vibration/flex nightmare combine a light weight crank with a tiny aluminum hub in place of a torsional damper.

Blueprinting is an overused term, and anytime somebody uses it, I think to myself "which blueprint". I have read, checked, and produced literally thousands of blueprints in my career and never saw one that gave a table of masses, torques, dimensions, heat treats, surface finishes, and clearances to allow building the "perfect" engine. Every engine that rolls out of a factory has been through a blueprinting process, it's just that different companies build to different tolerances. Cummins will allow wider tolerances on bearing clearances and crankshaft balance limits than GM because their engines don't rev to 6000 rpm. But the tolerances used in building the fuel injectors in a diesel are much finer than those used in gasoline injectors because operating at 30,000 psi is much different than operating at 60 psi (or even 3000 psi for GDI). It's all a matter of judging how much precision (money) is required for every component in order for it to fulfill its function.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back