K&N filter efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Don't use an oiled filter in front of a Mass Air Flow sensor. Period.

Why not?

I used drop-in K&N filters for awhile but eventually stopped because it appeared they passed fine sand behind the element and I didn't see a particular performance or cost benefit in using one. I've been using OEM or name brand air filters since that time.

An auto writer said that the best benefit of a cleanable, drop-in K&N filter might be that it keeps a filter out of the landfill for that much longer. From my experience, I can't disagree as IMO it wasn't worth the 100% greater price over OEM.

I have tried K&N filter in my LX450, 4Runnder (previous car), and 240D. The only car where I noticed a noticeable difference with the K&N air filter was the diesel powered 240D (manual). I still have the K&N filter in the 240D. You can really feel a noticeable difference when you step on the gas pedal with the K&N, as opposed to the stock Hengst paper filter I used to have in there.....

I think in a diesel powered car/truck, you can make more of a case for having a K&N type filter, since air is such a big part of the power equation. You won't notice much difference, if any, in modern gas powered engines (specially with all the advanced EFI systems)...

Will it allow more particles in? Yes. Is there any substantiated proof of K&N panel filters causing damage if maintained correctly? I've never read anything where this is the case. If you like the way it makes the intake sound, if it gives you the sensation of a few extra horses, use it and enjoy.

Last edited:
Half right. Don't oil the backside facing the sensor as you're not supposed to. Only oil the front side properly. I say properly because most people don't clean and re-oil them the correct way. The data that shows K&N's pass more dust/dirt overall is difficult to refute, so the safest way to run a K&N is with a pre-filter like the ones from Outerwear. I have a high mileage, heavily used vehicle that needed a new air filter every year at $25-30 a pop. Found a K&N replacement for $35 and have over 100k on it since then. Does it let more dust through? I'm quite sure, but in my application it has done it's job and I don't regret buying it. Can't say I'd run one in everything I own, but they do have their place.

Originally Posted By: highlifter
Half right. Don't oil the backside facing the sensor as you're not supposed to. Only oil the front side properly. I say properly because most people don't clean and re-oil them the correct way. The data that shows K&N's pass more dust/dirt overall is difficult to refute, so the safest way to run a K&N is with a pre-filter like the ones from Outerwear. I have a high mileage, heavily used vehicle that needed a new air filter every year at $25-30 a pop. Found a K&N replacement for $35 and have over 100k on it since then. Does it let more dust through? I'm quite sure, but in my application it has done it's job and I don't regret buying it. Can't say I'd run one in everything I own, but they do have their place.

This is the main problem. If you don't re-oil correctly you either damage MAP with too much oil or too much dust pass through with too little oil.

It really isn't difficult to clean/oil them correctly. I never had an issue and we're talking since 1993 or so.

Originally Posted By: wemay
It really isn't difficult to clean/oil them correctly. I never had an issue and we're talking since 1993 or so.

You know how and probably from experience with oiling many before, therefore to you it isn't difficult.

Some first time users may not be able to do it correctly, either over or under oiling. I think that if I do the oiling there is a good change I will over do it.

Uh oh. I've been running a K&N panel filter since I was 16 in my cherokee.

More flow better gas mpg. Better throttle response was my mentality.

Sure they don't filter as great as paper filters but more air that isn't quite perfect for a combustion engine isn't perfect. So why not risk a lil dust to sneak through.

Don't hate me for admitting that. I just have almost 1/4mil miles on it and never really wanted to do away with K&N and go back to paper. A lot of off-roaders though support K&N before their ten year patent wore off then all these other companies popped up.

Independent test by South West Research Institute comparing K&N, AEM DryFlow, and AFE filters with all sorts of tech-speak and data comparisons for pressure drop, efficiency, etc:

http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tuning.hu/aemszuroteszt.pdf

AEM DryFlow was found to be the most efficient, best flow, least pressure drop, etc. Ironically, AEM is a wholly owned subsidiary of K&N.

I like the idea of a re-usable filter that you don't have to oil after cleaning, that out performs oiled filters in every aspect.

Your link was very much appreciated. Great to know.
Just may switch to aFe for the jeep as well.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Independent test by South West Research Institute comparing K&N, AEM DryFlow, and AFE filters with all sorts of tech-speak and data comparisons for pressure drop, efficiency, etc:

AEM DryFlow was found to be the most efficient, best flow, least pressure drop, etc. Ironically, AEM is a wholly owned subsidiary of K&N.

I like the idea of a re-usable filter that you don't have to oil after cleaning, that out performs oiled filters in every aspect.

Amsoil's air filters are fantastic however I think I saw something that stated they weren't going to be making them anymore which if true is a shame.
The only open element air filters worth anything are the Amsoil ones. I've got a few from various cold air intakes I came across.
The K&N filters are junk. If you look close enough you can see right through them. At best call them a flammable flame arrestor

More flow better gas mpg. Better throttle response was my mentality.

Sure they don't filter as great as paper filters but more air that isn't quite perfect for a combustion engine isn't perfect. So why not risk a lil dust to sneak through.

Don't hate me for admitting that. I just have almost 1/4mil miles on it and never really wanted to do away with K&N and go back to paper. A lot of off-roaders though support K&N before their ten year patent wore off then all these other companies popped up.

Unfortunately this logic is based on the manufacturer somehow being incompetent and spec'ing a too small filter; a filter with inadequate surface area for your application.

I think many of us have been there. I ran a K&N on my Mustang too for the same reasons you've cited, I somehow thought it needed "more air". I then discovered the stock housing flowed more than enough with the silencer pulled so I reverted.

If I were to deviate from the factory filter for a hi-po application now it would now be to a Donaldson PowerCore filter which actually offers superior filtering ability, flow and capacity.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Amsoil's air filters are fantastic however I think I saw something that stated they weren't going to be making them anymore which if true is a shame.
The only open element air filters worth anything are the Amsoil ones. I've got a few from various cold air intakes I came across.
The K&N filters are junk. If you look close enough you can see right through them. At best call them a flammable flame arrestor

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT... The oil in the filter is suppose to help keep dirt from flowing through.

After commenting on this thread I happened to take a looksie at the filter's dirt side and I'm glad I did. It is need of a cleaning and re-oiling.
I swapped in a fram paper I had for my replacement when the K&N needs TLC then back in she goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back