Mobil 1 EP in my beater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, The Sable has 171K on the clock. Has a dent from a collision my wife has...
Its now my car. I usually run Mobil 1 synthetic.
It does get short tripped 5 days a week. 20 miles basically.
Currently it has Motorcraft 5w20 and FL-400-s filter, just tried it out for the winter. Car ran and started fine in the mild winter we had. Book calls for 5w30 but Ford back specked it.

It would take forever for me to hit 15K. LOL

Once a year oil change with good filter. $26.xx 5-qt jug plus $8-10 Fram Ultra for a year is about $3/mo, it is less than a latte at Starbuck.

Thanks, not ran Fram...
And the extra add pack would help in the short trips. I do take it out for a run to clean out the exhaust. Had to replace a lot of mufflers before I started doing that.

Last edited:
Mobil's caveat on their 15k is "or 12 months" so time is a factor too. EP is likely the better oil but I'd still change it after a year with your short tripping.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Once a year oil change with good filter. $26.xx 5-qt jug plus $8-10 Fram Ultra for a year is about $3/mo, it is less than a latte at Starbuck.

This is what I was thinking when reading the original post.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

This is what I was thinking when reading the original post.

Sounds good! Thanks. I changed the oil last October. Oil still looks good on the dipstick. Think I'll change it in May then go one year after that, I noticed that the Fram Ultra s longer than the MC.

I could live dangerously and use Super Tech Synthetic 5w20.
27.gif

Last edited:
Not a Wal-Mart fan, but Super Tech Syn is a very good product. You might do well with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-20. I used the said 10W-30 flavor in my old Sable to some good effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back