2015 Mustang GT 5.0 Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for feedback (preferably from oil analysis results) on synthetic oil recommendations for a 2015 Mustang GT 5.0. Ford calls for 5w-20 API-SN oil and it comes from the factory with a Motorcraft synthetic blend. It holds 8Qts of oil. I live in Atlanta, GA and drive approx. 50 miles 3x week to work with a mixture of Highway & back roads. It has been many years since I have owned a V8 so used to buying oil for 4-cylinder forced induction engines. In the past I have stuck to 7000 mile change intervals. I plan on going full synthetic with the Mustang at approximately 1300 miles (first oil change). Any recommendations you can provide based upon oil analysis/personal experience would be appreciated!

Does the Mustang come with an oil life monitor? If so, I'd suggest going with the synthetic oil of your choice (M1, PP, QSUD, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol, etc.), and changing the oil based on the oil life monitor.

Oil analysis only shows the condition of the oil and if there is contamination. A used oil analysis is in no way shape or form an accurate method of measuring wear.
So if your asking what oil minimizes wear there is no answer short of an engine tear down.
Now the new 5.0 hasn't presented any real problems as far as being hard on oil. In fact the used oil analysis we have show it to be easy on the oil,so I suggest finding whatever is on sale that meets the ford spec and follow the oil life monitor.
There is no point in spending extra on an extended drain oil such as m1 EP or Amsoil SSO simply because your under warranty and extending the intervals may give the dealer an out if any warranty claim needs to be made.
That engine was designed and built knowing the industry is leaning towards thinner lubes so I wouldn't second guess.
If you drive that car like it's mean't to be driven you may want to consider a euro 0w-40 only if you habitually elevate oil temps past 260f.

My fave synth is Castrol Edge. I'd just grab a jug of 5W20 Edge and a Motorcraft filter from Walmart.

I had used nothing put Pennzoil Ultra in my Jeep. The last two oil changes were Kendall GT-1 full synthetic. I had awesome wear numbers with the Kendall. I am sure the synthetic blend would be solid performer as well.

I used MC 5W20 semi in my (hire) Nissan Maxima, because I was a quart low and wanted to make it back across the desert...I'd use that.

I bought a new left over 2013 GT 5.0 Premium in May of 2014. The oil in the sump had been in it for 1.5 years or so when I bought it so I changed it QSUD 5w-20. Once I did that it developed the BBQ or typewriter tick so I dumped it and put MC 5w-20 Semi back in it and it quieted up.

A few weeks ago my OLM was down to 15% or so and the weather was nice so I changed it with M1EP 0w-20 that says on the bottle that it meets Ford's WSS-M2C945-A. I have a great big stash of the stuff that I picked up for $1 or $3 from Auto Zone on their last mark down. Anyway once I did that, the tick came back big time so it went back MC 5w-20. The tick was still there, just not as bad (now it is quiet again). While I was changing it I noticed that the rear diff was leaking so back to the dealer it went.

While it was there, I asked about the tick. He said they have had a bunch of Coyotes from F150's and Mustangs come in making that noise after an oil change. He said (and I have read) that the tick goes away after some time. He said that they had chased the problem for a while and finally Ford put a stop to repairs since the tick did not cause any long term problems and would go away with some time.

I only mention all of this so that you don't panic if you hear the tick. And with me, the MC 5w-20 has been quiet. If it shows up on your car after the oil change, take it in and have it noted. Next time, I will go back to QSUD 5w-20 or M1EP 0w-20 from the stash and see if the tick (that will come back) ends up going away. I asked about going to a 5w-30 and the dealer said I should only run what is in the owners manual and that it should meet the Ford spec (WSS-M2C945-A). They said they asked Ford the same question and that was their reply.

The tick shows up only after it is all warmed up after an OCI.

I was at Walmart tonight and saw that they sell the Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-synthetic blend for I think about $16~17 for a 5-qt jug if I recall correctly.

I'm planning an oil change also on a new Mustang GT with the 5.0L Coyote engine. I think I will dump the factory oil around 2500 ~ 3000 mile and use the MC 5W-20 again and run that for 5,000 miles, then switch to a full synthetic since the engine will have about 7500 ~ 8000 mile on it by then.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Regular Mobil 1 5w20 is a really sweet oil.

That's what I'll probably go with after the 2nd oil change.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Make sure it's not 'too' sweet guys.

What's that mean ... ?

I use 5W-20 Motorcraft in my 2014 Mustang GT along with a Motorcraft filter. I didn't change the initial oil fill until the car had one year on it since it was built and had 4,600 miles on it. A year later which was a few weeks ago, I changed it again with the same oil and had about 6,600 miles on the oil.

I also don't have any engine ticks. Car now has about 11,600 miles on it.

I'm going by either the OLM, one year, or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. When I changed the oil the first time, the OLM was at 43% when I changed it. This last time it was at 2%.

Also, looking down the oil fill hole, everything looked spotless, with no varnish to be seen and the oil still looked very clear for having 6,600 miles on it.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'm planning an oil change also on a new Mustang GT with the 5.0L Coyote engine.

Yours, or someone else's?

Mine, just picked it up a week ago. Liking is so far.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^ Automatic or manual?

6-speed ... black with black/saddle interior. Fun car, lots of power, 435HP. Ford made a lot of nice changes with the 6th generation Mustang.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back