Whats the big deal about Costco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both a Costco membership and a Sams Business card.
My favorite is Costco hands down.
Costco is clean, well managed, has help that is actually helpful and their products tend to be more upscale and a good value.
If I do nothing else than go in and buy their OTC Allergy medication, it costs me as much for a year's supply than buying it retail ($15 for a year supply vs.$15 monthly, saving me $165/yr.) If I quit there, I've saved money
We recently bought towels there that were better quality than what we were getting at JCP for less money. The same sheet set (threadcount/type/quality) that my wife was buying 1/2 price at Kohls for $119., we bought there for $59.99. Mrs. Tdbo just got new glasses there at a savings vs. our old optometrist.
We buy a great majority of our cleaning products there. My wife likes the sealed packages of chicken breasts there, which are priced everyday at sale prices in our grocery. We do not tend to buy a lot of groceries there, but tend to buy staple items (butter/cooking oil/olive oil to name several) at lower cost and sometimes better quality. Their pharmacy department tends to have good prices as well.
If I need gas while I am there, I will fill up and take the .20 price differential savings on a Saturday when we have a Speedway incident on a Thursday morning.
Their Kirkland brand provides great value for the price.
Even though we are only a family of two, I derive enough benefit from Costco membership that I will probably never let mine lapse.
I do need to examine why I have a Sams membership, however.

I didn't pay an oil fee when I bought the M1 on sale. The cash back from American Express more than covers our membership. I've used the Costco 15% off on parts at my car dealer several times. We buy what we like, but shop many other stores also.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
What I like about Costco is that they pay their employees a FAIR wage.

Oh, brother.

I think Costco is at an avg $14/hr Vs. Sams at $11.

My Costco membership has saved me several times over the membership cost just this year and it's only March. I used their mortgage program and with the fees being capped, it was the lowest mortgage quote I got and the same with my homeowners insurance.

I buy top tier fuel there for an avg .30 less than the stations down the street.

Not to mention all the stuff for the house that is the same or better price than other stores, but much higher quality.

The one thing I don't like is some items appear and then disappear from the shelves. I am eyeing up 2 dual flush toilets for $84/ea that I am hoping will still be there next week when I am ready for them!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

FAIR wage as in ???

Up here it's substantial. Walmart is under $12 an hour after a year, Costco is $18 with benefits.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

My wife has one of those Sams Club things, but I don't have enough power to make her quit using it. LOL (I don't think we save much money and I don't like having to "show my card" before I can even get in the door!)

Just tell the door guy you're there for booze. You can even get in during the special early hour.

Similarly, if you buy booze, and only booze, hold onto your receipt, put it in your pocket, grab your stuff, and walk out the door. Don't show anyone anything. As a non-member you don't have to jump through their dumb hoops.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19/reasons-love-costco_n_4275774.html

Costco employees make good a solid wage which allows them to actually contribute to the economy instead of being dependent on government assistance.

I am in no way a bleeding heart, but I am sharp enough to know that contributing to society instead of taking from it is a better deal for everyone (except maybe the Waltons, I have no idea how they would get by if they started caring for their employees...)

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
What is this "oil fee"? I've never heard of it. Is it a Ca thing?

That's exactly what I'm wondering. I've bought cases of Chevron before at Costco and never had to pay an oil fee. An oil fee for what? If they tried to pull that with me, I'd go next door to Winco and buy Union 76 at $2.98 a quart.

Costco is about the only place I shop in person. To address some of the common misperceptions expressed here by non-members...

1. Membership fee: this is refunded annually (and then some) if you are a regular shopper.
2. Crowds: get there when they first open on Saturday morning (9:30). I'm in and out before lines form at the checkout.
3. Prices: consistently the best on beer, wine, fresh fruit, dairy, cleaning supplies, paper goods, motor oil (when on sale every quarter) and windshield washer fluid, OTC pharma, health and beauty supplies, water softener salt, printer
consumables (paper and inks). Meat is competitive and of high quality. Same for electronics which include an exclusive extra year of warranty. Gas is competitive to often many cents lower, particularly in a price rising environment (they are slow to change both up and down). Don't forget, your Costco card Am Ex gets you an additional 3% off--that's another $.07 at $2.30 folks.

Oh yes, I shop for three people so it's not like you have to have a huge family to take advantage of it. Great store.

The local Costco stores here pay a good wage, don't mess with short hours to avoid benefits and always promote from within.

Not so with Walmart, in fact almost the opposite.

At a local Walmart I walked around a large spill. It was antifreeze, I think. While I was looking at the automotive accessories I watched at least 5 Walmart employees walk around the spill. I asked one of them about it and he said he worked in housewares and it was not his problem. I never saw any move to clean it up or at least block the isle. I mentioned it at the cash register to a manager and she said that someone in the back of the store would be responsible but she never made a move to report it to anyone. Not one employee could be bothered because it was "not their job".

At Costco employees get involved and problems like that get taken care of immediately. I guess there's a difference between working at a place that uses you and a place that employees you.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19/reasons-love-costco_n_4275774.html

Costco employees make good a solid wage which allows them to actually contribute to the economy instead of being dependent on government assistance.

I am in no way a bleeding heart, but I am sharp enough to know that contributing to society instead of taking from it is a better deal for everyone (except maybe the Waltons, I have no idea how they would get by if they started caring for their employees...)

So lets just mandate from the government that everybody be paid a starting wage of $15 per hour then, right? Fast food, dishwashers, baristas, and any other low skill job.
Keep an eye on Seattle.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
So lets just mandate from the government that everybody be paid a starting wage of $15 per hour then, right? Fast food, dishwashers, baristas, and any other low skill job.
Keep an eye on Seattle.

Who - besides you - said anything about any gov't mandating anything? Costco does this of their own free will; which earns the business of many of us, of our own free will. Please tell us more about how that is "wrong" because it differs from your values, which I am sure you wouldn't want to forcibly impose upon anyone else, right?

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Keep an eye on Seattle.

Straw Man argument.

Your taking a thread about why people like or dislike Costco and turning it into a political nationwide battle about minimum wage.

The two are not related.

I'm gonna pass by the next Costco on my day off and look around, compare prices.

Last time at Publix I got $50 of groceries for $30 and $10 off a $50 gas card.... ZERO membership fee.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Costco is about the only place I shop in person. To address some of the common misperceptions expressed here by non-members...

1. Membership fee: this is refunded annually (and then some) if you are a regular shopper.
2. Crowds: get there when they first open on Saturday morning (9:30). I'm in and out before lines form at the checkout.
3. Prices: consistently the best on beer, wine, fresh fruit, dairy, cleaning supplies, paper goods, motor oil (when on sale every quarter) and windshield washer fluid, OTC pharma, health and beauty supplies, water softener salt, printer
consumables (paper and inks). Meat is competitive and of high quality. Same for electronics which include an exclusive extra year of warranty. Gas is competitive to often many cents lower, particularly in a price rising environment (they are slow to change both up and down). Don't forget, your Costco card Am Ex gets you an additional 3% off--that's another $.07 at $2.30 folks.

You've summed it all up nicely.

I love Costco.

I just found out that Costco fills propane tanks. This is a better deal than exchanging tanks for blue rhino and America's tanks at Lowes and home depot.

One other good thing about Costco...

They are CLOSED on all major holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back