Mustang GT, 'dealer markup'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d4d
I suspect that the Mustang GT you refer to must have some significant mods to it, thus raising the ADM sticker some $30,000.

My local dealer has at least 10 of them, including a 2015 Special Order convertible and they are all about $2,000-3,300 BELOW the factory sticker price. YMMV

Not one. I asked.

Unless you consider floor mats and the requisite extras all new vehicles have as option boxes for check off.

Last edited:
Lol why shouldn't it have a markup? I wouldn't buy it with one, but I'm not desperate. If that car is your thing and you want the first one, if they have one, you pay the premium.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lol why shouldn't it have a markup? I wouldn't buy it with one, but I'm not desperate. If that car is your thing and you want the first one, if they have one, you pay the premium.

Because it jeopardizes turning off the avg consumer who might be ok with a price in the 40s or a markup of 10%, not 60%. Some of those folks may never come back and just get something else. We're talking about the normal GT model, not some highly anticipated, limited production variant. But hey, if you can do it and get away with it...no harm no foul.

If I were a manufacture I wouldn't allow dealers to pull this, the MSRP is the MSRP.

All this does is reduce demand.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Back in 2008 I considered buying a new Mustang Bullitt, but the local dealer laughed and scratched when I mentioned X-Plan(their Bullitt was also wearing a $10K ADM sticker).
Ten months later the same Bullitt Mustang was still nailed to the showroom floor- only now the dealer was frantically emailing me with offers of "employee pricing" and rebates. I wished them a very Merry Chapter 13 and told them to pound sand- all the way to where the sun don't shine...

Love it! Well done.

"ADM" is simply another word for greed.

Pretty simple really.

If enough people decide that the price is too high and simply won't pay the markup...the price WILL eventually be lowered.

People have a choice...but get all upset when they have something placed before they want desperately....yet can't afford it.

Kind of funny.

We have a 3995 markup on every car since the invoice and msrp are so close. It does not mean that you will get that.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Funny you mentioned that, Local Ford dealers were asking ridiculous markups (10k) on the 11 Gen Tbird when it came out. Production ceased a few years later due to lack of sales. Gee I wonder why?

I remember that quite well, still the dumb money piled in.

Originally Posted By: wemay
While picking up parts with a friend at a Ford Dealership yesterday, we took a stroll through the showroom floor. They had a Shelby GT500 still available for $98000. What shocked me more than that was the newly designed GT's price sitting right next to it. The MSRP was $46000 BUT the dealership markup was a whopping $30000 more! The total was $76000! WHAT THE....!

LOL...
My friend worked at a Ford Dealer in Wilmington NC. Sold a new GT40 at a huge number over the sticker (80,000) which had 20,000 or so profit.I think 125,000 or so. This was to his own customer that he went out and found.
He said the owner told him he could not AFFORD to pay the standard commission. (can't afford....please...gettin deep

Same thing happened to a guy there on one of the first Nissan GTR's 30,000 or so over.

Not only do the rip the public off, they rip their own employees too.
Car dealers are nothing more than millionaire panhandlers...do you need that spare $500 sitting there?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clarkflower
wemay said:
Not only do the rip the public off, they rip their own employees too.
Car dealers are nothing more than millionaire panhandlers...do you need that spare $500 sitting there?

^^^^ THIS! ALL OF THIS!!
I work at a dealer and this is absolute fact. The increasing greed among owners is just astounding.

Originally Posted By: E365
I'm guessing this was at Gus Machado Ford?

If so, that was a 50th Anniversary Edition. They only made 1,964 copies and could be a potential collector's car.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia...ed-edition.html

E365 you are correct. It was Gus Machado on US-1. Considering the vehicle is in the showroom, it may have been one of the special edition GT "anniversary edition" Mustangs. I guess some folks see that as being worth a $30,000 markup.

My Ford dealer proudly whacked the purchaser of the 50th anniversary Mustang for $25,000 over sticker.

Originally Posted By: rat
My Ford dealer proudly whacked the purchaser of the 50th anniversary Mustang for $25,000 over sticker.

And then said he could not afford to pay 20% commission? (with a sad looking straight face
smile.gif

Always talking about what they can't afford. Makes me a bit bitter to listen to someone that has more money in the bank than most people will ever see in a lifetime complain about what they can't afford.

+1....It really does.
In NC I sold a new Maxima at full sticker and we took in a 78 Vette convertible that was driven in. Had 4 new mags and tires, needed paint and interior seats redone. Showed $2500 for the trade.
$150 Flat. Told it was a loser as the vette was really only worth 500 bucks. I said I'll pay 2500 right now. No answer.

Thought it may be different at a new dealer in Ca (The surfing car dealers) in Laguna Niguel (christmas 2008)
While everyone was gone at 9PM I sold a 2 year old 2006 Elantra with 60,000 miles for 15,999 right off a truck. (so no repair or recon fee's)
7g Auction car. I was expecting at least 25% of 5G and up to 25% of 8,000. Told it was a loser. $200 flat. I was livid.

I said "the dealer in the next town is advertising the same car for 11,999 retail...maybe we need to buy our inventory retail off his lot so we can make a profit" Laid off next payday...LOL

In any other business it would be a crime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back