Is Castrol Magnatec their top of the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
KIA gets it next OCI and I plan to leave it on it indefinitely unless I hate it (not likely). I do like the idea of being able to run the full syn 5w20 in the winter and stay on the same oil, but I will mostly be running the 5w30 blend if not always.

Castrol has positioned Magnatech as an upper tier blend or lower tier syn, however you care to look at it. Edge is still an upgrade, gold bottle even more so.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I believe you, but that's my choice, not the rock solid information in your post.

Does one really require rock solid information to figure that out? Castrol's product positioning is pretty obvious if you just look at their website.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Castrol's product positioning is pretty obvious if you just look at their website.

Absolutely. Even the naming...GTX Magnatec , designates it as lower on the totem pole to Edge.

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
I prefer using Edge as it's their full synthetic. Still I'm sure Magnatec is good product.

Magnatec is full synthetic in 0w20 and 5w20.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum if you can find it would be my pick for "best" all around syn.

Agreed. I buy it online when Walmart has it in stock, which is usually hit or miss.

Castrol's top of the line is Edge Extended Performance, below that is regular Edge.

Castrol Magnatec is full synthetic in the 5W-20 & 0W-20 versions, it's a SynBlend in everything else.

Originally Posted By: DanMiller
0W-20 Might be however 5W-20 is partial Synthetic...

5w20 is full syn.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: DanMiller
0W-20 Might be however 5W-20 is partial Synthetic...

5w20 is full syn.

X2

The Magnatec 0w20 ran loud in our Mazda CX-9 but showed great wear numbers in it's UOA. Going to run a blend of 5qts of 5w30 Magnatec and 1qt of 5w20 Edge EP tomorrow. Hopefully they're "compatible" because I'd prefer not to "mix".

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Castrol has used the Magnatec name for synthetic products in other countries for quite a while, but it is a new name for the North American market.

As far as "intellegent molecules" that cling to your engine parts, synthetic oils by their very nature cling to metal parts better than conventional. This is not new news. I would be surprised if the synthetic group 3 basestock in Magnatec is any different than what is in Edge.

That's not quite the truth. Group 5 oils (esters) cling best to metal surfaces, not group 4 (PAO). Group 4 oils have others advantages, but better adhesion is not one of them. Even group 2 and 3 oils cling better to metal surfaces than PAO, but are far from it excellent fluidity in low temps.

My 2 local Walmart stores can't keep the 5 qt jugs of Magnatec on the shelves priced at $17.88.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It was communicated to me by a Castrol employee. I dont care if you believe it or not. Edge is still Castrol's top of the line product, not magnatec.

There is one higher authority than Castrol employees: the elves. Unfortunately they're not talking.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
There is one higher authority than Castrol employees: the elves. Unfortunately they're not talking.

The Elves have they taken a Vow of Silence or are taking a Break ?

Has the Elves leave of absence/ or period of silence been BITOG approved formally !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back