Does Removing Oil Filler Cap Release Vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.. No question is a dumb one.. I agree. I work in healthcare and I gladly answer any and all questions.. Trust me when I tell ya.. Always ask questions. And if something don't make sense ask until someone can help you understand it. I am on here to learn and give some of my own thoughts and ideas. I am no expert on cars but rather understand them fairly well. . but I certainly can learn more. Just like my regular job. Learn new stuff there too which is good
smile.gif

The only vacuum you want is in the intake manifold. When the piston travels down on the intake stroke with the intake valve open, a vacuum is created by the downward motion of the piston. The principle works exactly the same as a medical syringe. Pull the syringe, liquid flows into it. Push the syringe, liquid flows out of it. You don't need a vacuum in the crankcase where the oil fill hole opens up to. You want the crankcase to be at atmospheric pressure. However, sometimes the crankcase will get pressurized if the piston rings are worn out and pressure is escaping past the rings on the compression stroke.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
No question is a dumb question JerryBob. That's how we learn,by asking questions.

Agreed. Never be afraid to ask questions, especially here. This place has a wide variety of people, with experts in many different fields. You can find help on just about any topic here!

Well said.. And your infinity g 37 is a awesome car.. Like one of my favorites.. Fast, great lines, and a head turner. My lady had a chance to get one and didn't.. She still regrets that. I do too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyati
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Bud
One thing nice about these forums is that there are all kinds of folks here. One may know a lot about cars and engines, and others may be just interested or learning. There is no such thing as a dumb question, its only dumb if you don't know and don't ask for an answer. No one should be ridiculed for asking any question here.

Well said!

+2

Agreed. I read in a few different articles about removing the dipstick and/or the fill cap before the drain plug, and I tried it a few times. The system is not air tight. In my applications it made no difference. So I guess it depends. I don't see any harm in doing it either way.

I bet I could sift through your posts and find what I would consider a silly question or two. The guy has to start somewhere. Is there a rule at what age someone should be forced to learn automotive mechanics?

Originally Posted By: zpinch
I am not sure you should be near an engine if you don't know if there are passages from valve-train into the sump... no offense.

I always loosen the oil fill cap and pull the dipstick. I don't know if it helps or hurts but I've done it this way my whole life and I'm not changing now.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
I am not sure you should be near an engine if you don't know if there are passages from valve-train into the sump... no offense.

I guess when one is cooped up in an igloo for months on end in the dark, northern winter, one tends to lose basic manners and social skills.

No offense taken, given your circumstances.

I'd advise against a career in sheep herding, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I guess when one is cooped up in an igloo for months on end in the dark, northern winter, one tends to lose basic manners and social skills.

Oh snap. You just described me perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I always loosen the oil fill cap and pull the dipstick. I don't know if it helps or hurts but I've done it this way my whole life and I'm not changing now.

I do too.

I usually keep mine closed unless I'm filling. Crank case vent allows air to flow in while draining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back