Changing diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say, that I dropped my blood pressure, by making some wonderful smoothies my grandparents told me about. This, and I found a great cereal (to me anyways) : "UNCLE SAM" that is toasted wheat, and flax seeds, with some unsweetened almond milk in the morning. I also love spinach, kale, and legumes, beans. My lunch is a salad everyday with spinach, kale, and tomatoes, some avocado, fresh grilled/cooked chicken also.

I eat a mostly Mediterranean diet of fresh vegetables, whole grains, pasta, fruit, olive oil (lots), and a small amount of red wine.

It's been shown through volumes of research that the diet and lifestyle of Mediterranean region increases life expectancy measurably over the typical North American diet.

Look it up. Especially note the people that live on the island of Ikaria in Greece.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Im 53 years old, no prescription meds / high blood pressure pills, eat a balanced diet, take no vitamins or supplements, normal cholesterol level, etc...

Easy to watch your diet 6 days a week.

I would guess I eat better and exercise more than you. Its about Genes....and...you are only 53 not 69. You will be amazed what happens between the age of 60 and 70....hold onto your seatbelt. I have had two HS class reunions as evidence. No one was in better shape than I. But high BP and High colesterol owned me. I have been on bp medication for 40 years and have run 32,000 miles in that time.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: JTK
It sounds like a good read.

I believe there's merit in what the author says, but I'm more of an everything in moderation guy.

Well a search around the web and there are so many differing opinions. Many sources (WebMD, Dr. Weil) say there is no evidence that wheat is such a boogieman. Like everything in diet, seems way too hard to get a straight answer. I have a feeling it sells lots of books too.

I just see like anything else. Too much grains = no good. Moderation and all is well.

Fruits, veggies, fiber, grilled chicken, nuts, very little red meats / pork, rice, beans, ZERO alcohol / sodas is my diet.

Again, I take no pills for high BP, unnecessary meds for 'problems' related to stress, anxiety, depression, boredom, laziness, over inflated ego / pride, stupidity, etc.... etc....

More proof that Atkins was correct in focusing on a low carb diet for weight loss and overall good health. What most critics (who haven't read his books) don't realize is that it is primarily a fresh vegetable diet, supplemented by healthy proteins and high antioxident fruits (dark berries). If you have a weight or well-being problem, give Atkins another look.

Last edited:
A lot of people drink the calories as well. I'm always amazed at Dunkin how the women especially buy their iced coffees, some of those concoctions have over 1k calories and a boat load of sugar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
But maybe the best news is that my sugar was 87!! That is always over 100 for me.

You mean to say that your fasting blood sugar used to be always over 100? It's good if your fasting blood sugar is below 100, but it does not mean that you still get potentially very high blood sugar spikes throughout the day. As I am sure you know, your blood sugar level increases temporarily after eating carbohydrates. If you are worried about your sugar metabolism in any way, you should ask your doctor for an A1C bloodtest every three months. It will give a more clear picture of your average bloodsugar level over three months as opposed to a couple blood glucose checks during the day. Most diabetes experts believe now that avoiding blood sugar extremes, bouncing around between low and high, is actually worse than having slighlty elevated sugar levels.

A few things than can help lower your blood sugar are ALA (found in chia, flax and walnuts) and Ceylon cinnemon. Avoid typical cassia cinnemon, the cinnemon sold in US asa spice, as a supplement, since it's from a different species of plant, which contains a fair amount of coumarin and can harm your liver.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
If you are worried about your sugar metabolism in any way, you should ask your doctor for an A1C bloodtest every three months.

A few things than can help lower your blood sugar are ALA (found in chia, flax and walnuts) and Ceylon cinnemon. Avoid typical cassia cinnemon, the cinnemon sold in US asa spice, as a supplement, since it's from a different species of plant, which contains a fair amount of coumarin and can harm your liver.

hotwheels

I am aware of AIC. I really didn't think I had a problem there. My doc (right or wrong) says it is for folks that show much higher than 125. But thanks for the other information.

As I was saying, if you are worried, you should make sure. That's all. Also, you could check not only your fasting blood sugar, but check a couple hours after a meal to see how high your blood glucose level gets. More than 140 mg/dl is suspicious, unless you were chowing down on ramen and had half a pie for dessert.

hotwheels

As I was saying, if you are worried, you should make sure. That's all. Also, you could check not only your fasting blood sugar, but check a couple hours after a meal to see how high your blood glucose level gets. More than 140 mg/dl is suspicious, unless you were chowing down on ramen and had half a pie for dessert.

hotwheels

Makes sense..thanks.

Originally Posted By: Al

hotwheels

Makes sense..thanks.

No problem. O and while very low blood sugar (under 70 mg/dl) carries the risk of coma and death, if blood sugar gets to be over 200 mg/dl for a prolonged time, terrible things start happening to the body in the long run.

hotwheels

No problem. O and while very low blood sugar (under 70 mg/dl) carries the risk of coma and death, if blood sugar gets to be over 200 mg/dl for a prolonged time, terrible things start happening to the body in the long run.

hotwheels

I am glad my body is smarter than me (I hope)..lol

OP, keep up the good work.
Thanks for opening this thread. it borders a lot the gluten-free lifestyle i'm trying to find more about.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP, keep up the good work.
Thanks for opening this thread. it borders a lot the gluten-free lifestyle i'm trying to find more about.

Gluten is not the enemy. Gluten contains many valuable nutrients.

Only those that suffer from Celiac Disease truly need be concerned about gluten being any sort of health problem.

The "holistic" and marketers of so called "health" products have greatly exaggerated and exploited the anti-gluten nonsense.

Just my opinion....I'm sure most people believe in these fads.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Only those that suffer from Celiac Disease truly need be concerned about gluten being any sort of health problem.

BINGO! (unfortunatly)

Good for you Al! When you say you exercise 6 times a week, what are you doing exactly? Are you also doing any weight training as well? My wife and I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week and one of the regulars that we see there every morning is 80 years old! And he's often there before we are in the morning and we get there around 5:20am. I have great respect for people that workout this hard everyday even when they are retired. My dad is 73 and he goes to the gym every morning also, and in the nicer weather he often rides his bike 50 or more kilometers in a day!

Keeping fit and eating properly is definitely a major factor in living a long time! Keep it up!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You're paying attention to the temple that's your body. I don't see who could be critical of that.

Agreed. And we sometimes have to do different things for it as well..

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: montero1
Fruits, nuts, vegetables. Simple.
+1 yep it's not rocket science that people make it out to be.

yeap, drop the statin, the whole eggs threw your #s,
just eat more fish, add fish oil to diet, nuts, fruits.
The answer is out there, look at the animals, have you ever seen an obese squirrel who could not climb a tree?

The statin will give you body ache and other side effects. popping more pills is NOT the solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back