Recommendation floor/trolley jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new jack to lift my mazda3 for season tire change and I am wondering if anyone here has any recommendations?

Budget < $100

I saw a Torin Blackjack of 2ton for $24 but reviews say it is terrible.

Last edited:
I have one of the Harbor Freight 3 ton low-profile steel floor jacks and it works great. I think it was around $65-$75 when I got it. It lifts high enough I can get a whole side of the car off the ground when I'm swapping my winter tire set for my summer tire set so it goes really quick.

Last edited:
I got a chunky 3 or 3.5 ton steel jack from sears for under $100. These things are popping up everywhere if you look for sales.

Originally Posted By: marc1
Originally Posted By: Stewie
I cant find any of those products in Canada, any other suggestions?

This jack is excellent. I use it to lift the corners of my Chevelle (~3800#) for routine maintenance. Should lift a Mazda 3 no problem. It is more than $100 but goes on sale periodically at a steep discount if you can wait.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...ml#.VQ6nu00tE_4
I have this exact jack. It does work well for tire change-overs. It is also quite light due to having an aluminum frame.

This jack is excellent. I use it to lift the corners of my Chevelle (~3800#) for routine maintenance. Should lift a Mazda 3 no problem. It is more than $100 but goes on sale periodically at a steep discount if you can wait.

That looks exactly like the 1.5 ton HF Jack that my friend has. I reviewed it on here and have used it a few times. It's really light, but they struggle under lifting half a car up (lighter than your 3800# Chevelle), and the wheels on it have corroded badly over the couple years I've seen it.

But for the weight to carry it, you can't beat it.

This Arcan jack is the best bang-for-the-buck unit you can find near $100.

Arcan Jack

It is available at most COSTCO stores for ~$99 and at Northern Tool for ~$130. It is low profile so it will fit under the lower clearance front ends of Mazdas, Hondas, etc. I have had one for 7 years and it works flawlessly.

My experience with Torin products has been dismal - actually had one fail and drop a corner of my car. They sent me a replacement jack which failed 3 months later at the same hinge point. Fortunately, I was lifting the car to install jack stands both times so no injury resulted.

Last edited:
Yeah, at Sears you should be able to get a 3 ton and two stands for right at $100. My dad got this China combo, back in the nineties i think and he gave me the stands and the jack, i think, is still strong.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That looks exactly like the 1.5 ton HF Jack that my friend has. I reviewed it on here and have used it a few times. It's really light, but they struggle under lifting half a car up (lighter than your 3800# Chevelle), and the wheels on it have corroded badly over the couple years I've seen it.

But for the weight to carry it, you can't beat it.

Yes I don't think it would work well to lift 1/2 the car (say under the axle or under the front cross member, I have not tried this) or my GMC but for the corners of the Chevelle it is fine. I also take it on road trips as my emergency jack (haven't needed it yet), I wouldn't use the factory bumper jack.

As mentioned, looks just like my HF jack. Paid $59 for it, works great lifting my 1,000lb RZR.

I have a 2 ton Mastercraft and two axel stands from Canadian Tire, I don't remember the price, but it was cheap, about 5 years ago.

It has done everything I have asked of it over the years, but is a bit heavy, being all steel.

It is also low enough to roll under my Triumph (about 4") which is nice.

All in all I can't fault it
laugh.gif

Check Costco, Canadian tire and Princess Auto (if you have locations near you). Otherwise check your local Kijiji or Craigslist for used ones.

I would avoid those small 2 ton units, they are useless.

I picked up this unit on sale at Canadian tire for $129 on sale.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-3-ton-aluminum-and-steel-garage-jack-0091036p.html

The metal jacks are good, but heavy. If you have to store it in a basement and lug it outside, it could be a pain. The aluminum units cost more, but are much easier to move around and make changing 4 tires an easier chore.

Thanks everyone.

Btw that 3 ton motomaster is $200 !!! I guess i'll wait for em deals
whistle.gif

I got myself a pair of jackstands in the meantime 3ton pair
cool.gif

Got great reviews too what do you guys think?

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336//1456004...viewID=11563182

Those jack stands will serve you well. I have the exact same ones but with a different brand sticker on them. They did a great job holding up a car when I did a transmission swap a year ago and various other odd jobs.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
Thanks everyone.

Btw that 3 ton motomaster is $200 !!! I guess i'll wait for em deals
whistle.gif

I got myself a pair of jackstands in the meantime 3ton pair
cool.gif

Got great reviews too what do you guys think?

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336//1456004...viewID=11563182

Those jack stands will serve you well. I have the exact same ones but with a different brand sticker on them. They did a great job holding up a car when I did a transmission swap a year ago and various other odd jobs.

What car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back