Sticking brake question; 05 Volvo S60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, BITOG, I've posted this on Swedespeed as well for Volvo-specific knowledge, but I figured I'd ask here, too.

My question is as follows, car is a 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD.

-I replaced my front brakes and rotors with a "One-Click Brake Kit" from RockAuto a couple weeks ago. Had to extract some fluid from the master cylinder reservoir while compressing the pistons. Brakes felt fine after the job, though.

-Fast forward a week - sudden onset of a roaring sound. At first, I think bearings. So, I order a LF bearing, and as I'd had a clicking CV axle on that same wheel, decided to replace that while I was in there.

-Drop the car yesterday, with the new bearing and CV axle, and the sound hasn't changed. I drive less than a mile, park it, and BOTH front brake rotors are ludicrously hot.

So, would air in the lines (as a result of the fluid extraction process) be causing my front calipers to drag, or do I have a bigger issue?

I fear a master cylinder or booster failing. Big $ items.

Thanks.

If you didn't empty out the master cylinder when you extracted some fluid...you shouldn't have let air in. I think your new pads are hung up. Were the new pads hard to get on? And did you use the proper lubricating procedures when installing the pads?

Used plenty of Sil-Glyde on the back of pads, on slide pins, and on contact points (the pads have little "ears" that ride on the caliper brackets.) Pads were easy, so unless they're defective (Power Stop Z16 from RockAuto...) I'd guess it's not them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back