Mustang GT, 'dealer markup'

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
While picking up parts with a friend at a Ford Dealership yesterday, we took a stroll through the showroom floor. They had a Shelby GT500 still available for $98000. What shocked me more than that was the newly designed GT's price sitting right next to it. The MSRP was $46000 BUT the dealership markup was a whopping $30000 more! The total was $76000! WHAT THE....!

The joys of a free market economy.

I read that Hellcats were going to thousands over MSRP.

Price is set where supply meets demand;
When covetous rich idiots exist, capitalists can take liberties
wink.gif

Was this a car that had been customized? I've seen that in dealer showrooms on occasion. Usually they have a sticker showing the MSRP, then the added cost of all the "upgrades" to reach the final price. Probably wouldn't be hard to add $30K to a Mustang, especially when dealer labor rates are figured in for installation.

When we were looking at Jeeps, the dealer had one with a 4" lift and 35" tires, and they wanted an extra $12K for it over a stock Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

The Orders For Hellcat's have WELL exceeded expectations, to the point they have now stopped taking any more orders until August, to try and catch up.

Yes, and some m---n might just pay it.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Speaking of which,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Challenger...em=221719086427

Richard Rawlings Personal Hellcat, up for auction on GasMonkey's Ebay page. Vin#12, 888mi, Current Bid is $72,100

As we said when I sold cars, there's an arse for every seat. I think in this case the Gas Monkey Garage & Richard Rawlings might have some appeal. But who am I to tell someone how to spend their money? God Bless'em!

Back in 2008 I considered buying a new Mustang Bullitt, but the local dealer laughed and scratched when I mentioned X-Plan(their Bullitt was also wearing a $10K ADM sticker).
Ten months later the same Bullitt Mustang was still nailed to the showroom floor- only now the dealer was frantically emailing me with offers of "employee pricing" and rebates. I wished them a very Merry Chapter 13 and told them to pound sand- all the way to where the sun don't shine...

I suspect that the Mustang GT you refer to must have some significant mods to it, thus raising the ADM sticker some $30,000.

My local dealer has at least 10 of them, including a 2015 Special Order convertible and they are all about $2,000-3,300 BELOW the factory sticker price. YMMV

Originally Posted By: d4d
I suspect that the Mustang GT you refer to must have some significant mods to it, thus raising the ADM sticker some $30,000.

My local dealer has at least 10 of them, including a 2015 Special Order convertible and they are all about $2,000-3,300 BELOW the factory sticker price. YMMV

Location, location, location.

Funny you mentioned that, Local Ford dealers were asking ridiculous markups (10k) on the 11 Gen Tbird when it came out. Production ceased a few years later due to lack of sales. Gee I wonder why?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Speaking of which,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Challenger...em=221719086427

Richard Rawlings Personal Hellcat, up for auction on GasMonkey's Ebay page. Vin#12, 888mi, Current Bid is $72,100

Probably has 100 actual miles seeing how it has new rear tires.

cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back