why do mowers use paper air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the ten years since I converted my Briggs to paper filters. I have had to change the elements only once. If I had stayed with the oiled foam, I would have had to clean and reoil everytime I mowed. That gets old very quick, especially when you have mow dry and dusty lots filled with rocks and mesquite tree thorns. I guess if you only mow pristine lawns oil foam works just fine.

Been running the same paper filter in my mower for a couple seasons. I pull it and vacuum the pleats when it starts to get dirty. Figure after this coming season I'll swap it out with a new one. I bought 6 filters for $10 on Amazon, don't know if the seller was trying to get rid of stock or what.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Paper elements are simply better.

how much better?
the engines with the foam lasted 20 years

They are so much better that auto engines older than 20 years are still using them. Oiled foam will allow the smallest particles go by while paper will trap them.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Paper elements are simply better.

No, they are not "better."

Oiled foam filters, properly maintained, do an excellent job of capturing dirt/dust. Everything will stick to the oil. They are less likely to tear than a paper filter as well.

Never had a paper filter tear yet. Don't crank on the retaining nut so much,

They are so much better that auto engines older than 20 years are still using them. Oiled foam will allow the smallest particles go by while paper will trap them.

Prove it.

We're not talking HEPA filters here for a small engine.

My machines all have paper filters including a 25 year old Honda and 35 year old Briggs that are both commercial grade. I think there is more to it than just dumbing down maintenance for contempory bafoons.

I have 15 lawnboy 2 cycles. All F and D engines. Not a paper filter among them. All oiled foam. Clean it at the beginning of each season w soap and water, squeeze, let dry. Reoil with a small amount of 30 weight oil, squeeze, reinstall. I think if any engine would be sensitive to dirty air, a 2 cycle that breathes in through the bottom of the crankcase and brings the air past the big end needle bearings would be. Never had a problem. Dust will stick to oiled foam that would flow right on past paper.

BTW, these mowers are mid 1990's models.

The only thing you need to watch for is the media life of the foam is not infinite. About every five years you'll need a new piece of foam. $1.99 and you're back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back