M1 0w40 for race use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 dodge neon I use for autocross and track days only. I typically run redline 5w40 or 10w40, but I get free cases of M1 0w40. is it up to the task?

Oil temps run 200-230 degrees. Hot oil pressure at idle is around 35 psi in the block and 20 psi in the head. The car has a built high compression engine. I'm using a high volume oil pump. The rod and main bearing journals of the crankshaft have been polished to allow a slightly larger oil clearance. It usually runs in the 4,000 - 8,000 rpm range. I use a purolator pure one synthetic filter.

Yes Mobil 1 0W40 is a very popular race oil. Mobil say it's easily good to 300F. Your idle oil pressure is good, you might even be able to use Mobil 1 5w30. What you're oil pressure at load say 5,000-6,000 rpm?

Originally Posted By: mpersell
Beware of fuel dilution. If it runs lean at low rpm shouldn't be a problem.

Fuel dilution is a concern, but if I run the M1 I can change it more frequently (after every track session) as costs will be greatly reduced. Air fuel ratio stays between 12:1 and 12.5:1 at full throttle, so it's not terribly rich.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Why change after every track session?

Peace of mind mostly. Race miles are much more severe than street miles.

Originally Posted By: JaFlo
I have a 98 dodge neon I use for autocross and track days only. I typically run redline 5w40 or 10w40, but I get free cases of M1 0w40. is it up to the task?

Oil temps run 200-230 degrees. Hot oil pressure at idle is around 35 psi in the block and 20 psi in the head. The car has a built high compression engine. I'm using a high volume oil pump. The rod and main bearing journals of the crankshaft have been polished to allow a slightly larger oil clearance. It usually runs in the 4,000 - 8,000 rpm range. I use a purolator pure one synthetic filter.

Super fun car with a couple tweaks! My 98 R/T was more fun than a barrel of monkeys and very economical to own.

Back O/T I have had email correspondence with M1 about 0W-40 when my sig car recorded oil temps in excess of 300 degrees at Homestead. They said that was well within the designed parameters for that oil. Guess that's why it's right on my filler cap...

Originally Posted By: JaFlo

Yes. It is great for race use.

0w40 Mobil 1 is made to run in AMG Benzs, Porches, the Nissan GTR, ect.

It is used straight out of the bottle by Aston Martin for their LeMans racing cars.

I think it will suffice for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back