Exhausting Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another innovation from Ducked Developments (The Home of Earlube)

When I have an exhaust open at the manifold end, I try and tip a teaspoonful or so of portland cement into it. Lately I've been impersonating a teacher, so if I havn't got cement handy, I use chalk.

Probably a bad idea with a catalytic converter, but so far (touch wood) I've managed to avoid them.

I've no concrete evidence (fnar fnar, geddit? etc) that it works, but the theory seems pretty solid.

Last edited:
I believe he is pouring a tablespoon of cement into his exhaust to act alongside the catalyst in turning acids into a base, as cement is very basic.
I guess this is kind of like the water/ammonia that is currently being implemented in large trucks to assist in the catalyst of exhaust gasses?

I don't see it working well, if at all. As it would either clog the catalyst, which are very porous, or just get blown out the tailpipe.

I think this is a poorly constructed joke.

I want my click back and the lost 60 seconds of my life reading this thread.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I believe he is pouring a tablespoon of cement into his exhaust to act alongside the catalyst in turning acids into a base, as cement is very basic.
I guess this is kind of like the water/ammonia that is currently being implemented in large trucks to assist in the catalyst of exhaust gasses?

I don't see it working well, if at all. As it would either clog the catalyst, which are very porous, or just get blown out the tailpipe.

I think this is a poorly constructed joke.

However badly constructed the joke (a pun or two. OK, maybe you got me there.) I'd have thought

"Probably a bad idea with a catalytic converter, but so far (touch wood) I've managed to avoid them."

was a pretty clear indication (at least to native speakers) that a catalyst was NOT involved, and should not be.

Other than that, you got the basic (alkaline) idea.

I'm told exhaust condensate tends to be acid, so I'm assuming that cement (which is alkaline) will tend to neutralise the acids.

That's the theory. Dunno if it works, but I don't off hand see why it shouldn't.

Some of the cement will blow through. Some of it will collect in the expansion/silencer chambers in the system, which is also where the acidic condensates tend to collect and cause corrosion.

Evidence-wise all I can say is that my exhaust hasn't plugged, exploded or developed large holes immediately after doing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Pouring cement into your exhaust. Brilliant.

I tried pouring exhaust into my cement. It didn't work.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Pouring cement into your exhaust. Brilliant.

If you liked that, you'll love this extension.

I've made a few exhaust gaskets with aluminium in combination with Pertex gasket goo. Instead of trimming to the hole size I just cut a cross in it and bent the 4 resulting triangles down into the pipe, where they burned off.

I'm thinking that melted aluminium should also tend to protect the pipe from internal corrosion, so the last time I had the exhaust off I shoved some beercan sheet (cut in a spiral) in the downpipe near the manifold.

Unlike the cement, (where, even theoretically, I can't think of a credible downside and havn't experienced one over several repititions/years), aluminium sheet could, I suppose, cause a blockage (though in that location it probably burned off pretty rapidly) and fine aluminium melt-powder (not aluminium oxide) could, theoretically, accumulate in the exhaust along with rust, to make thermite, which'd be potentially a bit dramatic.

Not very likely though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I shoved some beercan sheet (cut in a spiral) in the downpipe near the manifold.

Why didn't you put the beer down there, too?

Because he drinks it all.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I shoved some beercan sheet (cut in a spiral) in the downpipe near the manifold.

Why didn't you put the beer down there, too?

I've noticed new exhausts sound raspy as they don't have everything coated in carbon yet. This might help with that.

You aren't concerned, that with an exhaust valve open at a specific point on the cam, that it could breathe in a bit of your concrete dust?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've noticed new exhausts sound raspy as they don't have everything coated in carbon yet. This might help with that.

You aren't concerned, that with an exhaust valve open at a specific point on the cam, that it could breathe in a bit of your concrete dust?

New exhausts (raspy or not) aren't really my field, (or at least, very rarely) but if they were their raspiness wouldn't bother me much.

Re reverse inhalation, I wasn't concerned, because I didn't think/know that happened. If it did/does, it wouldn't be concrete, it'd be cement, but it still wouldn't be good.

Offhand doesn't seem very likely though. The dust falls to the bottom of the downpipe, (perhaps a couple of foot) before the engine starts and it'll be blown further down the pipe in a few revs. Can't see much backflow occuring, and there's no EGR on this engine.

IF it MIGHT be an issue, I could probably use a narrow piece of hose to get the cement further down the pipe, and that might work from either end.

Probably not an option with the aluminium, (unless using powder) since it has to be close to the hot end to ensure it melts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back