Catalytic converter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
When I had my Magnum smogged, it blew zero across the board. No carbon monoxide, no unburned fuel, no NOX. And there are two tiers of vehicle that are CLEANER.

0.0 on HC, CO, & Nox?....Impressive, Hard to believe on a Chrysler LA/"Magnum" engine though.

2007 Dodge Magnum, 5.7 Hemi. It's a Tier II ULEV. Test was IM240 roller dyno.

I just read your sig, Figured you were talking about your 5.2L, Do 2007 Hemi's still use Waste Spark/Dual plug like the earlier ('03-'05) versions? I always thought it was odd for such a newer design engine to use 80's technology.

80's? Dual ignition dates back to the early 1900's and was implemented to deal with improper/poor flame-front propagation on large bores. It's implementation on the modern "semi-hemi" was done for emissions, as, IIRC, poor swirl characteristics at low intake velocities allow for incomplete combustion with single plug ignition.

I remember fondly a boat from my youth, a vintage Minette from the late 1920's with a Van Blerk huge i4 with dual ignition; two distributors slightly out of phase with each other. Surprisingly common for the era.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

There is no way I support an agency having that much power without the will of citizens even slightly affecting them. But I DO support cars running clean and not spewing out harmful things that are easily eliminated.

Seems that is impossible for some of us around here to understand...

I understand. You want what you want.

A few enthusiasts removing their cats is not worth worrying about. Large corporations skirting the laws is the real problem.

You think just the opposite.

It is positively laughable to listen to you tell me what I think!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I took the H pipe with 6 cats off of my 98 Mustang GT and replaced it with a Bassani offroad X pipe. It sounded amazing with my Spintech mufflers. Got tons of compliments from a bunch of people.

My 14 still has cats, but thanks to the Borla noise pollution plan, it sounds a lot better.

I have an offroad X pipe for my 95 Mustang when I get the engine rebuilt in that to go along with the new headers.

How do you get away with all of the above in 'The Republik'??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I took the H pipe with 6 cats off of my 98 Mustang GT and replaced it with a Bassani offroad X pipe. It sounded amazing with my Spintech mufflers. Got tons of compliments from a bunch of people.

My 14 still has cats, but thanks to the Borla noise pollution plan, it sounds a lot better.

I have an offroad X pipe for my 95 Mustang when I get the engine rebuilt in that to go along with the new headers.

How do you get away with all of the above in 'The Republik'??

The 14 just would fail for exhaust decibel if I were to offend the wrong police officer.

The 98 I never had to smog. The 95 I can swap the factory H pipe back on once I get it running. Worst case if I really have to, hot smogs are an option. But for as little as I would drive that 95, it wouldn't have much of an impact at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back