Ford Fusion Hybrid 2.5L Toyota 0w-20, 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, another UOA I'm posting for Best F100. Enjoy!

Code:

EQUIP. MAKE/MODEL: Ford 2.5L 4-cyl Hybrid

FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)

OIL TYPE & GRADE: Toyota 0w-20

OIL USE INTERVAL: 5,372 Miles

It's hard to say what your max oil change interval can be on this oil. We can say "longer" for

sure -- and we'd suggest about 7,000 or 8,000 miles for next time. If that sample comes back good, then try

going a little longer. It's hard to say when you'll reach that tipping point since so many factors go into it (use,

contaminants, the oil TBN, etc.). The oil should be fine for you for the summer. There was a little fuel, here,

but everything else looks

nice and strong as well.

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 5

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 329

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 74

SILICON 12

SODIUM 3

CALCIUM 2212

MAGNESIUM 11

PHOSPHORUS 669

ZINC 781

BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 50.4

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 7.38

Flashpoint in °F 375

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 5.2

TAN

ISO Code

Note: 2 QTS API SM + 3 QTS API SN was used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdavis
Really nice UOA, what is your commute like?

I would go 7k-8k without hesitation.

My commute is just like anyone else's I guess. A 30 mile each way, 70 mph night drive into Nashville each day. 85% highway driving.

I bought about 25 quarts of this Toyota 0W20 from a local craiglist sale for $2/ qt. Since it is a non Ford approved spec. oil, I was not sure what a UOA would look like. To my untrained eye, the previously run Motorcraft FULL Synthetic looked better (albeit with less TBN left) for both 5,300 mile runs. Nothing wrong with either oil.

I didn't see your Motorcraft UOA but this TGMO one is pretty great with very little wear with a high TBN still after 5,000 miles.. what am I missing?

Not to mention at $2/quart, I'm jealous!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Captain
The two quarts of SM really boosted the moly! Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

This was a 25 qt, local craigslist purchase of Toyota 0W20 for $2/qt (out of the trunk of this guys car). I used the only 2 qts of API SM up first in this report. "Only" API SN left now.

You did not specify the year but I have a 2012 Lincoln Hybrid (basically the 2012 Fusion) with altered body etc. but my OCI per manual is 10,000 miles on Motorcraft semi synthetic 5W20. I still have free maintenance and will go to full synthetic once that is over with. What does your owner's manual say as to OCI on your hybrid?

I've got a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. The owners manual calls for 7500 mile intervals under normal circumstances. I believe it it is 5,000 under severe conditions.

I think intervals jumped to 10,000 miles beginning the 2011 model year for that same 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. I will go for 10,000 miles intervals when I am using up my stash of Mobil 1 0W20, Pennzoil Ultra and Toyota 0W20.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Thanks for posting - both UOAs look great. How many total miles on this Fusion?

About 117,000 miles now.

This was originally a state government vehicle. Carfax information told me that it had oil changes every 5,000 miles up to 60,000. Based on where it was serviced, I determined that Kendall 5W20 Blend was used. After buying it with 60,000 miles on the clock, I gave it a diet of Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic every 5,000 miles, up to over 100,000 miles (the stash is almost gone - bought for $2/qt).

The current stash includes some Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 0W20. I'll let you guys tell me which you want to see for one more UOA. I do have some Royal Purple 0W20, bought from Walmart, but I don't think it is as good as what I have been using - so I'll be returning it to Walmart. I can't afford to be messing up an engine at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back