New Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Holy moly (and zinc and phos)!

Hey guys newbie here and i was wondering if there was a guide to understand what high zinc and other minerals levels mean?

I saw on blackstones site but that was to read used oil not VOA.

Posted one on 5/31/12...it was a little disappointing...
Additive levels were not boosted that much, except moly,
and the TBN was low after 5k. Maybe the M1R has poor
TBN retention. I have another sample in the Blackstone
container, ready to send off. Will post results here.

Originally Posted By: ArtDart
Posted one on 5/31/12...and the TBN was low after 5k. Maybe the M1R has poor TBN retention.

I would expect this out of a pure racing oil, as I suspect it has that high initial TBN to handle extreme fuel dilution in over-rich mixture (for protection/safeguard in high boost/high compression applications) racing engines during a VERY VERY short OCI in most racing uses/scenarios.
wink.gif

I've NEVER heard of a REAL racing engine OCI of 5K miles.
31.gif

Update:

I just changed the oil in the Cobra with 5 qts. of Mobil 0w-40 and 2 qts. of Mobil 0w-30 racing oil, 7 qt. oil capacity, no smog equipment. Less than 2,500 mi. driven per year. Oil changed 1 time/yr. I am now thinking of adding 1 container of LubroMoly additive to the pan. Any comments are welcome.

Originally Posted By: Tron1
Update:

I just changed the oil in the Cobra with 5 qts. of Mobil 0w-40 and 2 qts. of Mobil 0w-30 racing oil, 7 qt. oil capacity, no smog equipment. Less than 2,500 mi. driven per year. Oil changed 1 time/yr. I am now thinking of adding 1 container of LubroMoly additive to the pan. Any comments are welcome.

Carbed 351 Cleveland?? 347 stroker 5.0? Oil cooler?

You might have been able to get away with the 0W-30 Racing straight (or even their 0W-50 if it is open tracked in the summer, and not street driven very much).
LM's products are great, but I like the Lube Gard Biotech stuff even more.
wink.gif

351W -stroked to 393, carb., oil cooler, street driven, moderate temperature 50-95 degree weather, longest summer round trip to Monterey, 600 mi. Not driven much during the winter.

Some of the posts here say this M1 Racing Oil doesn't have detergents. Isn't the calcium evidence of a real detergent? Besides the high levels of phosphorous, why can't this oil be used in a non-racing normal car?
I'm thinking about going 1/2 quart of this racing oil with 5.5 quarts of M1 AFE 0w-30 for fun.

I think all that calcium might indicate the oil would also do
very well in a motorcycle where the engine and transmission
share the same lubricant.

Caterpillar TO-4's have about the same calcium level and can
double as an engine oil in a pinch.
(Or intentionally as in my case.)

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
I'm thinking about going 1/2 quart of this racing oil with 5.5 quarts of M1 AFE 0w-30 for fun.

Why don't you just run it straight? After all, in this thread, you were promoting the value of high additive levels on VOAs, not to mention good base stocks. M1 Racing 0w-30 has extremely high additive levels, with boron, moly, calcium, phosphorous, and zinc through the roof. It's TBN exceeds A5/B5 requirements, and it probably has a high end base stock.

So, if additive concentrations on a $30 VOA are so important, and we know this is at the very least a Group III base stock, why aren't you rushing to toss this into your crankcase for all six quarts?

If you read this thread from the beginning, you'd note that I pointed that out already. I also pointed that out in the other thread where you were espousing the virtues of high additive levels.

Zinc will react with some metals, but not all.
Locomotive engine oils are zinc free with a non-
chlorinated additive package.
It has to do with the silver plated bearings.

What engine parts will react to ZDDP and at what
treatment rate should we start to worry about it?

It's usually cam spalling, and it's at levels we won't even see in HDEOs, much less normal PCMOs. I waver around a 1400 to 1500 ppm limit or so, but I don't think there's any hard and fast rule, given different ZDDP formulations, not to mention different oil chemistries altogether.

Chevron list their Delo CI-4+ at 1500 ppm.
An old VOA on Duron 30 shows 1250.
Both lubricants can be used in transmissions where
an engine oil is specified.
Would your clothes come out of the wash cleaner if
you added more soap?
Maybe a superabundance of additives is no more than a selling point
that offers imagined, instead of real benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Some of the posts here say this M1 Racing Oil doesn't have detergents. Isn't the calcium evidence of a real detergent?

I always thought so, but there are also some other 'pure' racing oils out there with high Ca levels, and also (relatively) low starting TBNs.

So my guess is that the (high) Ca additive concentration has to be used in conjunction with another 'detergent like' additive (Mg, B??) in order to function as a 'real' detergent, and have a sky high starting TBN?
21.gif

MolaKule? Anyone??

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's usually cam spalling, and it's at levels we won't even see in HDEOs, much less normal PCMOs. I waver around a 1400 to 1500 ppm limit or so, but I don't think there's any hard and fast rule, given different ZDDP formulations, not to mention different oil chemistries altogether.

Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil and Mobil 1 V-twin oil both have zinc & phosphorus much higher than 1400. I'd use the 4T oil in my vintage cars if it was more affordable.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back